**David Beckham move to LA Galaxy **

Posted by SAMF1 
**David Beckham move to LA Galaxy **
Date: January 11, 2007 09:12PM
Posted by: SAMF1
It was confirmed on 11th January 2007 that David Beckham will be leaving Real Madrid and will be joining MLS Team Los Angeles Galaxy on a 5 year deal worth reportedly £128 ($250) million at the end of the current season. Beckham said: "This week Real asked me to make a decision regarding their offer to extend my contract. After considering several options to stay in Madrid or join other major British and European teams, I have decided to join L.A. Galaxy."

In a statement, Beckham continued: "I would like to thank the supporters and people of Madrid who have made my family and I feel so welcome in my time here, making this an extremely difficult decision to make. Real Madrid confirmed Beckham's departure in a statement, saying: "Both parties have agreed that Beckham will not extend his current contract, which ends on 30 June 2007."

Beckham left Manchester United in July 2003 to sign for Real, who paid £25m for the midfielder's services. However, in the three-and-a-half seasons since his arrival, the Spanish giants have failed to win any major trophies.This season has proved particularly disappointing for Beckham, who was dropped by England coach Steve McClaren and then fell out of favour with Real boss, Fabio Capello. During his time at Real, his form has been disappointing with just 7 league goals scored in his time at Real Madrid. General manager Alexi Lalas of Galaxy told the BBC Sport website of his admiration for the former England captain. "Signing players of Beckham's stature would be a wonderful step in the right direction not just for the Galaxy but for soccer in America."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2007 03:16AM by SAMF1.
Re: *****David Beckham move to LA Galaxy *****
Date: January 11, 2007 09:44PM
Posted by: kaid
naab just going for the money

Date: January 12, 2007 04:48AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Smart move by him, will play taking it easy, making a bunch of money and will start his team in the US, Manchester United.
Date: January 12, 2007 06:34PM
Posted by: LS.
Why would United benefit from this?

He left under a cloud as it was.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: January 12, 2007 06:57PM
Posted by: Senna
He will still be a galactic player in the US, playing for LA Galaxy :P

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
Date: January 12, 2007 07:27PM
LS, it's what he wants. There's rumours of him and that Glazer guy having a team together.
Date: January 13, 2007 01:17AM
Posted by: Joeku
hes not gonna get the best football in america, its a money move. I dont know anything about american football but a deal like that looks like it will either really help the club with stature and merchandise or bankrupt it.

I thought he wouldve moved back to english football but i guess not

________________________________________________________________________________

Date: January 13, 2007 05:32AM
Within 4 hours there were 1,000 people getting a LA Galaxy membership and they expect the 27,000 seat capacity stadium to sell out every game. That's a nice return on investment already, he'll get about $5 million a year from the club, $10 mi from Adidas (it is huge here in the US, will only get bigger and sell more), and the rest I think is Pepsi and another company. They will all get their money back ;-)
Date: January 13, 2007 02:14PM
Posted by: danm
Arguably, the clubs he will be playing against some have suggested and put into perpective as Beckham playing on par with a league 2 club in the UK.

Of course, don't let that comment shake your tailfeathers too much, you cannoy really make comparisons like that.

Their stadium is not much bigger either than, say, Fratton Park.

That is crazy!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: January 13, 2007 04:21PM
Posted by: aedewey
It is only for the $$$$$, but i always thought Beckham was over rated, shure he has an amazing accuracy in free kicks, but in the game itself for me always was an average player, not so great.
Date: January 14, 2007 02:57AM
Posted by: Red Sam
I understand that there is a rule in US Soccer that noone in the team can earn over 50,000 pounds, apart from one nominated player??

Wonder how the rest of the team will like seeing one of their teammates earning in a day their years salary?

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: January 14, 2007 03:07AM
Posted by: Slasher
Good on him as far as im concerned, although im not sure its the best for football in the U.S. itself.

All these journalists, ex players saying its a disgrace, i bet you my left nut that if they were offered $300m to play football, they wouldnt look back.
Re: **David Beckham move to LA Galaxy **
Date: January 14, 2007 04:11AM
they wouldn't look back, it's a great personal move for Beckham and this could be a good thing. I HOPE they will change their way of playing, americans move by packs on the field, they run with the ball and after the ball instead of giving good passes and making the ball work. With Beckham maybe they will change their style to a better passing game and I will finally be able to play my original position again (defense)! I had to become a forward here because the game is so different and I didn't get to really work one-on-one against forwards :\
Date: January 14, 2007 04:48AM
Posted by: danm
This Beckham deal is a modern day attempt at what they tried to do years ago, but failed. Best and Pele and such, with that New York team.

Beckham is one of few, and I mean very few players who could be used a this modern pioneering toold to generate global interest.

The asian market all know who Beckham is, they follow the European leagues over there a lot to do with the world cup in 2002 and beckham in particular, and man utd.

The us job will hopefully do the same, and on a scale of shear general football, beckham does get a good deal out of this, but on the whole entire side of things, if this kicks off american soccer and injects new blood, america is the clear winner.

It will open a much overlooked market for inter-atlantic football.

On another note, is it true the US soccer system is owned in leagues but a single person, like baseball? And that the premiership is basically like a world series sort of thing, and that all wages are paid by the foundation division and not the club?

Seems weird, my housemate tried to explain it to me and I got slightly confused.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: January 14, 2007 10:42PM
there's a player association, uni players are drafted by teams (ones who did worse go first), there's a salary cap on how much a team can spend a year, and it is all ruled by the commissioner. The clubs pay their players but they all share some money from the league.
Date: January 15, 2007 04:27PM
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they wouldn't look back, it's a great personal
> move for Beckham and this could be a good thing. I
> HOPE they will change their way of playing,
> americans move by packs on the field, they run
> with the ball and after the ball instead of giving
> good passes and making the ball work. With Beckham
> maybe they will change their style to a better
> passing game and I will finally be able to play my
> original position again (defense)! I had to become
> a forward here because the game is so different
> and I didn't get to really work one-on-one against
> forwards :\

In these conditions U can still play in defense though, just lead your defence, shouting to your mates to try to keep a tight line at back against the fowards. Or, if u still find yourself in the same problem, u can still play a strategy to let them caught in offside. Once the ball possession is regained, then you all can go counter-attacking...

I dont see your problem, its quite an easy solution :)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2007 04:30PM by Senna.
Date: January 15, 2007 04:56PM
Posted by: TC
aedewey Wrote:
> It is only for the $$$$$

Why would it be? He obviously doesn't need the money, he just wants to keep playing the game he has trained for all his life to play.
Date: January 15, 2007 06:56PM
Senna Wrote:
> Guimengo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > they wouldn't look back, it's a great personal
> > move for Beckham and this could be a good thing.
> I
> > HOPE they will change their way of playing,
> > americans move by packs on the field, they run
> > with the ball and after the ball instead of
> giving
> > good passes and making the ball work. With
> Beckham
> > maybe they will change their style to a better
> > passing game and I will finally be able to play
> my
> > original position again (defense)! I had to
> become
> > a forward here because the game is so different
> > and I didn't get to really work one-on-one
> against
> > forwards :\
>
>
> In these conditions U can still play in defense
> though, just lead your defence, shouting to your
> mates to try to keep a tight line at back against
> the fowards. Or, if u still find yourself in the
> same problem, u can still play a strategy to let
> them caught in offside. Once the ball possession
> is regained, then you all can go
> counter-attacking...
>
> I dont see your problem, its quite an easy
> solution :)

Would be easy if the damn people I played with weren't too arrogant to realize I had the right idea in mind, nobody ever listens ;)
Date: January 15, 2007 07:26PM
Guimengo Wrote:
> Would be easy if the damn people I played with
> weren't too arrogant to realize I had the right
> idea in mind, nobody ever listens ;)

Ah, I see, who can understand the americans? Why they should listen to a guy from Brazil, a country with five world cup in his bag? :P

Date: January 16, 2007 01:52AM
Posted by: LS.
This always makes me smile

eh Gui ;)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy