Alonso to attend Le Mans next month

Posted by micky-cannonball 
Alonso to attend Le Mans next month
Date: May 21, 2009 01:14PM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
Zoom
Aware there is life outside of Formula One

Fernando Alonso has revealed that he would like to contest the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the world's oldest and most famous sports car race.

On the same day he warned that he would leave Formula One if the big teams depart, the double world champion told reporters in Monaco he will attend next month's event, to take place between the Turkish and British Grand Prix.

However, the Spaniard denied that Le Mans is his ‘plan-B’, should the departure of works teams leave him without a F1 seat in 2010.

"I hope to race more than one race a year," said the Renault driver.

"I am only 27 years old and have won the Formula One world championship twice, so there are also other categories to win," Alonso added.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

-I do think, alonso will perform fairly quickl, as what other f1 drivers did (eg.allan mcnish, michael schumacher)

Re: Alonso to attend Le Mans next month
Date: May 21, 2009 05:43PM
Posted by: sasjag
*packs his eggs*

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: May 21, 2009 06:04PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Intersting, btw I think Davidson will be taking part in the same LeMans race btw..

Date: May 21, 2009 11:59PM
Posted by: chet
He's going to watch isnt he...

Both button and alonso have declared an interest in sportscar racing... Would be interesting to see how Alonso does, if he ever does that is. If he does, it will be a top team...

Now we wonder, if Ferrari is not in F1 will they make a big return to the topline of sportscars?

In a way, if they would, then I almost wouldnt want them to be in F1 next year. I would love to see a Ferrari lmp1 effort!

Though a petrol engine it would be awesome!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 22, 2009 08:40AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Bit of a non-story this one. Lots of drivers attend every year for spectating.

Now we wonder, if Ferrari is not in F1 will they make a big return to the topline of sportscars?

Return? There last car was built by Dallara. They'd have to do a bit better than that.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 22, 2009 01:14PM
Posted by: chet
The 333SP?

I thought it was quite succesful and had quite a long life didnt it? Until Audi and BMW came along!

If they do a full assult on lemans it will be a full factory effort, a real Ferrari effort...

Would be interesting if they did, they'd probably have the best petrol engine!

The Audi's and 908s are all new cars with new engines which are manunfacturer backed. The rest of them are all relativley small teams compared (other than Porsche), and cars are based on ageing designs using ageing engines. The Lola Aston has an engine based on a production engine i think. I can imagine Ferrari building another real racing V12. Or surley even modding one of their old bullet proof F1 V10 units it would be better than the Aston engine? I know the other engines get updated constantly but then theres only so much you can update an old design. How are the current Judd units being used, the AER's, or the Zytek engines? With Ferrari money, and Ferrari know-how they will produce a winner, it will probably a 2-3 years to sort reliability and get the team upto scratch but a Ferrari LMP1 effort should give Audi and Peugeot a few nightmares ;-)!

If they do not enter F1, and we see a number of teams out of F1, then it would amazing to see them goto sportscars!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 22, 2009 06:26PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
333SP really wasn't that good. Wasn't good at Le Mans *at all* and only did well in the states due to performance balancing. Even Riley & Scott, who shouldn't be a match for Ferrari, could out perform it. It was slow and out of data before 1999 when the BMW and Audis turned up.

The Lola Aston has an engine based on a production engine i think.

The engine in the P1 Aston is the same one from the DBR9.

And with the new V8 regulations Ferrari won't build a V12.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy