Bruno Senna testing in DTM

Posted by Stan 
Bruno Senna testing in DTM
Date: March 19, 2009 09:02AM
Posted by: Stan
Bruno Senna is testing for Mercedes this week with a view to joining the team in the DTM for 2009.

The Brazilian has been strongly linked to a DTM switch since it became clear that there would not be a place for him in the Brawn GP Formula 1 team.

He drove a 2008 Mercedes C Class for the first time at Hockenheim yesterday and will complete a second day of running today.

Both Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug and Senna stressed that no deal had yet been done, but that they were keen to explore opportunities for the 2009 DTM.

"Today, Bruno Senna got his first whiff of DTM air and he enjoyed it," said Haug. "He'll be testing again tomorrow and then we'll all sit down and decide what happens next."

Senna said he first day of testing had been a good experience, and reckons a season in the DTM could prepare him well for F1.

"It has been fun so far and I have enjoyed getting onto the pace quite quickly in this car," he said.

"I don't underestimate the level of competition in the DTM though. It is a great series, high profile and good wheel to wheel racing.

"There is much to discuss but that close racing and focus on outright speed in this category could suit me very well and could certainly be one new experience that can add value to my career as I aim for F1 in the future."

The test comes a fortnight after Senna tried out the ORECA team's LMP1 car in Le Mans Series testing at Paul Ricard.

Re: Bruno Senna testing in DTM
Date: March 19, 2009 10:20AM
Posted by: danm
Lol.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 19, 2009 02:21PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
having a connection with Mercedes is a good thing considering their links to Brawn and Force India. However, they also have to consider Paffett and Di Resta, and he would have to show he is considerably faster than them to 'jump the queue'.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 19, 2009 03:12PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Date: March 19, 2009 03:25PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Oh man, if only "he" were here.....

I've no doubts Senna wants a race seat for 2009, but I wonder whether DTM would be best for him. I can understand if he wants the manufacturer links to Formula 1, but this seems a strange way to go about it.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 19, 2009 07:20PM
Posted by: gav
I would have thought an LMS seat would have given him more - he'd learn far more about the technical side, build up his concentration levels and general mental abilities more, and have a car closer to that of a primed single-seater... not to mention pure experience for just doing lap after lap for prolonged periods.

I think he'll struggle in DTM, and if he does, his F1 career is all-but over before it's started, regardless of how close his links are. Getting beaten by retired F1 drivers is not going to get you one of their past seats.
Date: March 24, 2009 10:06PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Brunos joined ORECA. They'll race Barcelona, Spa and Le Mans, then its TBC after that. Team mates are Panis and Lapierre.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 25, 2009 01:50AM
Posted by: Santiago [URU]
I thought Bruno's team mate was Stephane Ortelli!
Date: March 25, 2009 02:58AM
Ortelli may be in the other ORECA, but not Brunos one.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 25, 2009 02:21PM
Posted by: montoya6k
If your fast on dtm, doesn't mean your fast on f1 and if your run quite average or low on dtm doesnt mean your slow on f1(see hakkinen!)

2 Hot 2 Handle.

MS-

KR -

"You must always pick the worst car and the worst team on the grid, to be the best."
—Fangio
Date: March 25, 2009 05:32PM
No, but DTM is a career killer. How many have come out of DTM and went onto greater things? Other than Rocky and Luhr, who are of course Audi Le Mans driver...I can't think of any.

DTM for Mercedes simply puts you into the Mercedes holding stack. Paffet and di Resta will get the seats first...that is if Mercedes even remembers about them.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 26, 2009 08:11PM
Posted by: ptclaus98
montoya6k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If your fast on dtm, doesn't mean your fast on f1
> and if your run quite average or low on dtm doesnt
> mean your slow on f1(see hakkinen!)

But Hakkinen is slow. Last time he got in an F1 car he was 6 seconds off the pace
Date: March 26, 2009 08:14PM
Not really fair to judge the lap times of a driver who retired from F1 some years ago.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 26, 2009 08:30PM
Posted by: The Lopper
But Hakkinen is slow. Last time he got in an F1 car he was 6 seconds off the pace

Yeah, 2 World Championships slow in fact. Truly horrible driver.
Date: March 26, 2009 11:09PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
ptclaus98 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> montoya6k Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If your fast on dtm, doesn't mean your fast on
> f1
> > and if your run quite average or low on dtm
> doesnt
> > mean your slow on f1(see hakkinen!)
>
> But Hakkinen is slow. Last time he got in an F1
> car he was 6 seconds off the pace

He'd been out of F1 for about 4 or 5 years. You lose a lot of speed during then if you're not testing.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy