More problems for A1GP

Posted by DaveEllis 
More problems for A1GP
Date: January 16, 2009 10:11AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
The last A1GP event was in November, at Sepang. Since then, nothing has happened. Including getting the cars out of the country. Seems they are too skint to pay the transportation bills, and the cars have been in storage in Sepangs airport since then. Not looking good for the New Zeland round this month.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Re: More problems for A1GP
Date: January 16, 2009 03:01PM
Posted by: The Lopper
:( Real shame if this goes, I enjoyed watching this series. Ireland were doing well in it, which was important for motorsport in a country where single-seaters are completely neglected.
Date: January 16, 2009 06:20PM
Posted by: chet
Supprised that with Ferraris support this has not picked up.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 16, 2009 06:26PM
Posted by: tripleM
at least it's a relatively short distance to Taupo in case something happens

Date: January 16, 2009 07:12PM
Posted by: Peat
And now Jakarta is'nt happening

[www.autosport.com]

Date: January 17, 2009 12:45AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
@Dave: you ever thought it might be a slight cost-saving exercise? If they're not gonna be testing over the Xmas break, and the next round after Sepang is further east to New Zealand, I'm prepared to bet it'd be cheaper to keep it in storage in Malaysia and fly it out from there to NZ than fly it back, chuck them in storage locally, then fly them out again to NZ.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: January 17, 2009 06:09AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
turkey_machine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Dave: you ever thought it might be a slight
> cost-saving exercise? If they're not gonna be
> testing over the Xmas break, and the next round
> after Sepang is further east to New Zealand, I'm
> prepared to bet it'd be cheaper to keep it in
> storage in Malaysia and fly it out from there to
> NZ than fly it back, chuck them in storage
> locally, then fly them out again to NZ.

Yeah because none of the cars broke down or were involved in a crash.

Date: January 17, 2009 07:07AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
they may have allowed them a few days at the circuit itself to fix the cars

X (@ed24f1)
Date: January 17, 2009 08:26AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
A1GP rarely has enough parts at a circuit for 1 weekend. This new car has even less spares (some teams didn't even get a chassis until round 2!), and they are all based in Silverstone.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 17, 2009 10:41AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
yes, it doesn't look good for the series...

i think a few of the teams are in trouble themselves as well...

hopefully they make it to october at surfers paradise at least

X (@ed24f1)
Date: January 22, 2009 11:00AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
LoL, Dan Clarke is gonna drive for Team Great Britain, now we are sure this will be the last race of A1GP ;)

Date: January 24, 2009 05:08PM
New Zealand is going ahead, and going very well for Team Ireland. Adam Carroll grabbed pole for the sprint and full distance races! Here's hoping at least one victory will follow tomorrow!
Date: January 26, 2009 01:39PM
Another good round for Team Ireland with Adam Carroll and Neel Jani of Switzerland trading 1st and 2nd in New Zealand. :)
Date: May 02, 2009 04:34PM
Ireland and Adam Carroll on pole for both races at Brands Hatch; Switzerland the main challengers for the championship are only starting from 8th and 4th. :) Portugal there or there abouts also though could sneak in

Anyone at it? Was thinking of going but the race is too close to exams :(

Incidentally, this is the final round: Mexico has been cancelled due to the Swine Flu scare.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2009 05:25PM by The Lopper.
Date: May 02, 2009 10:35PM
Yep, im there tomorrow. Qualy was cracking, looking forward to the race(s).

Date: May 03, 2009 01:32PM
Posted by: brunoboi
I popped down for practise and must say the cars look phenominal, especially round the back at westfield! Unfortunately I couldn't get up there today but I'll be watching online in a minute!

Date: May 03, 2009 05:30PM
CHAMPIONS!!!! w000000000t!!!!
Date: May 03, 2009 11:35PM
From the side of the track, the races were pretty dull. It was memories of Champcar 2003 for me. Big single-seaters just dont suit Brands......

Great result for Ireland, well deserved.

Hardly anyone there today, very empty. Weird.

But, a joy to get out onto the GP loop. WHAT A CIRCUIT!

Date: May 04, 2009 12:18AM
Hopefully the win will improve coverage here, which had actually disimproved this season until recent weeks, when we began to hear more items on the radio. Ireland has been crying out for track-motorsport focus since Jordan folded. I'd been following the races through the season as they came, but I hadn't been looking ahead, and had I known when and where the Portuguese and British races were on, chances are I could have gone to one. A1GP badly needs to improve its calender though. It's pretty disjointed and they could do with a few more European races. Entry fees are nothing compared to F1, so it's the kind of thing I personally'd love to get cheap flights out and see. On the plus side, having the Ferrari cars has been a boost image wise; they look better, they even look faster. Hopefully things will get better for this series.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy