Nikon Gold Coast Indycar race

Posted by Eagle 
Nikon Gold Coast Indycar race
Date: October 26, 2008 06:57AM
Posted by: Eagle
Don't know if anyone on the forum watched the Gold Coast Indy race from Australia, but let me be the first to congratulate one of Australia's best open wheel drivers, Ryan Briscoe who won today, finishing 0.5s from a fast finishing Scott Dixon.

I do feel sorry that Will Power, who has started on pole 3 times in a row missed out on finishing the race, but I hope this elevates Briscoe into a place where he can contend for the Indycar title next year.

Based on his dominating performance, I reckon Penske will pick him up for another year, I hope that Toyota F1 have their eye on him maybe for 2010. I reckon he would do very well in F1, but never got the opportunity when he was a test driver.

WELL DONE RYAN!!! GOOD LUCK FOR 2009!!
Re: Nikon Gold Coast Indycar race
Date: October 26, 2008 08:05AM
Posted by: dkpioe
he wasnt fast enough i think for f1. i think dixon is better, he could go to f1.
the race was cool, the cars look great! fast looking shape and great lveries. they can follow right behind each other through corners, only they werent getting much slipstream on the straights. they are probably 3 seconds slower then the old champcars, but i think they look really lively and a challenge to drive, a bit like early 90s f1 cars. an f1 car would probably be 7 sseconds a lap or so faster, but i dont think it would look any faster for a viewer on tv, and the dont slide around as much. Its good that they also have cars that are comparable in times down the grid, instead of having 2 cars fighting for every win.
Date: October 26, 2008 09:11AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
God what a @#$%& race.

Easily the most boring race at the gold coast, and No i havent forgotten 2002.

@#$%& mistakes, @#$%& driving, @#$%& cars, Slow cars, Danica Patrick. (enough said).

Seriously who gets that upset when you @#$%& up? She was the last one in the accident by about an hour and a half, and still expects to be the first one restarted? stupid dumb bitch.

the v8's were just as @#$%&, but thats a whole NEW kettle of crapness.

Date: October 26, 2008 11:01PM
Posted by: The_Ozz_Man
How Crap Was Danica Patrick!!!

What She Can't Turn Left and Right it was embarrassing to watch!

The Thunder from Downunder

Date: October 27, 2008 12:31PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
saturday was worse, she took literally less than 20 seconds after qualifying began for her to be in the wall.

overall, it wasn't a bad race, it was great to see an Aussie win.

I think Briscoe would have done well in F1 if he had been given some time to settle in, but unfortunately Toyota always preferred Zonta at that time.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 27, 2008 03:27PM
Posted by: dkpioe
that danica patricks behaviour really was quite ridiculous, she stalled because of he own fault, then is yelling and carrying on like a lunatic for the marshalls to get her back in the race, yet the marshalls were busy moving a car out of a more dangerous spot, and shes yelling at them to help her, if i was a marshall, i would have walked up to her and said "wait your turn, you spoilt bitch" because she really was acting like a bitch in that situation. what right did she have to be jump started before the other car?? none at all, it was absolutely incredible how animated she was to the marshalls so they would help her, like she was the privelidged one who deserved to get jump started first. i like how the chanel 10 commentators reacted, saying that the marshalls wouldnt be too happy at her, and probably left her there longer because of how abusive she was!
Date: October 27, 2008 04:11PM
Posted by: red 5
someone should show that danica patrick woman where the kitchen is

Date: October 27, 2008 10:26PM
That's a bit Sexist Mate, nobody is saying anything like that it's not because she is a woman just not a very good racing driver!!

I am all for Woman to be able to play in all sports!! They are half the world population after all

Damm you post some stupid stuff mate

Date: October 28, 2008 09:40AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
i agree with red5 tbh.

She needs to be shown a kitchen, other women are fine in motorsports. Milka duno (spelling... dave will kill me if its wrong) its a very talented and respected female driver, and dosent act like a spoilt bitch who thinks that the sport needs her.

Date: November 11, 2008 03:37AM
Posted by: gareth
Gold Coast Indy axed from next year, to be replaced by.....wait for it.....A1GP!!!!

-----------

THE Gold Coast's Indy race has been axed after the Queensland Government and race bosses failed to reach an agreement on its future.

However, a motor racing carnival will still be held on the streets of Surfers Paradise next October, featuring V8 Supercars and a new event - the A1 Grand Prix series.

Queensland Sports Minister Judy Spence said the government had opposed moves by the Indy Racing League to move the event from October to March.

"They have an expanded series of events and our Indy clashes with the early part of the American Football season," she said.

"Moving our race to March as they had requested was not an option due to the clash with the F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne and the Clipsal V8 race in Adelaide.

"In addition a March race would have involved track construction right in the middle of January school holidays and we would not tolerate Gold Coast residents being inconvenienced in that way."

Premier Anna Bligh said Indy cars would instead be replaced by the A1GP series, in which teams are based on their nationality rather than their manufacturer.

The series, often marketed as the "World Cup of Motorsport", was launched in 2005 and currently includes teams from 23 countries.

A1GP drivers compete in identical vehicles, based on a Formula 1 Ferrari chassis, which are built to include technical restrictions to limit performance and keep competitors on a level playing field.

Ms Bligh said the government had reached an in-principle agreement with with A1GP and expected contractual negotiations to be completed within the next week.

"The A1GP is a world-class racing series with an action packed race calendar that includes Great Britain, China, Mexico, Portugal, Malaysia, New Zealand, Indonesia, South Africa and The Netherlands," she said.

"As a result of this deal Queensland will now be a permanent fixture on the calendar as well.

"I am sure the A1GP will be a terrific attraction for both revheads and new fans to the world of motorsport."
Date: November 11, 2008 03:39AM
That Will Blow

Have gone to nearly every Indy race in the past 6 years but i think i will skip the A1GP a bunch of reject drivers crashing

Date: November 11, 2008 12:46PM
Posted by: chet
Thats a catch for A1GP!!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 11, 2008 03:13PM
yes, i think Alan Jones had a big part in this.

i think the A1GP won't be as good as the IndyCars, especially with the strong field building up again at the moment. the loss of the 'indy' name will also hurt the promotion i suppose. however, as long as the party atmosphere is there, i doubt the fans will care what racing is on ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 11, 2008 05:21PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
The organisers turned down ALMS, and accepted A1GP....good job, that'll kill it right off.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 12, 2008 01:10AM
Posted by: gareth
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The organisers turned down ALMS, and accepted
> A1GP....good job, that'll kill it right off.

Actually the A1GP is probably the best alternative to Indycars. It's easy to understand to for non-motorsport fans, and let's face it, I imagine 90% of the people going to the Surfers race aren't actually there for the race, they're there for the party. Heck, I doubt half of them would know the difference between an Indycar and an A1GP car, but at least they look kind of the same.

And Chet's right, it's quite a big coup for A1GP
Date: November 12, 2008 02:24AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
I bet if they made it a night race, Bernie would move F1 there from Melbourne double-quick!

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: November 12, 2008 10:50AM
Actually the A1GP is probably the best alternative to Indycars.

Not really. Big drivers, big teams. Swapped for nobodies in a series that can't even give every team just 1 chassis and could be dead before the end of the season...again.

Date: November 12, 2008 01:24AM
Posted by: turkey_machine (IP Logged)

I bet if they made it a night race, Bernie would move F1 there from Melbourne double-quick!

Surfers is no where near a Grade 1 circuit. I'd be surprised if it was a Grade 2.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 12, 2008 01:09PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The organisers turned down ALMS, and accepted
> A1GP....good job, that'll kill it right off.

really! that would have been great! do you have a source for that?

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 12, 2008 01:13PM
Don Panoz. He offered it publicly.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 12, 2008 09:53PM
The Gold Coast 24 Hour Endurance race would be Great

No Matter What Series It would have some great Racing and some Great Backgrounds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy