Daytona 500 ***SPOILERS***

Posted by red 5 
Daytona 500 ***SPOILERS***
Date: February 12, 2008 09:10PM
Posted by: red 5

This Sunday Feb.17 50th running of the world's biggest stock car race will be held.
It has been 10 years since Dale Earnhardt won his first Daytona 500 although he had
a numerous wins in other races held on Daytona, but 500 eluded him for a wery long time
and mainly only due to bad luck. Most notable Dales Daytonas were '90 when the flat
tyre costed him the win few hundered meters form the chequet flag, than in '96 we
saw Dale and Dale show, with Jarett the eventual winner, in '97 he had spectacular
roll on the backstretch, was taken to ambulance but insisted to race and finished.
in 98 he won.

In '01 he died in a crash few hundered meter from the flag. His son Dale Junior
also contested in that race.

Few days ago Junior won Bud shootout, sort of prelude to D500 (he won it already in 2003). It was his first win
for Hendrick Mtsp. and he was backed up by Jimmy Johnson, thus removing speculations that
were around, that Hendrick mtsp won't be able to manage three top drivers (Dale Junior, Jimmy Johnson
and Jeff Gordon). and that they won't work together.

Junior winning 2003 Bud Shootout

There was some nervouse when Busch and Stewart come together, reportedly they were put on
probation.

Jimmy Johnson qualified on pole, while Michael Wlatrip qualified outside pole driving
Toyota and proving pre season speculations that Toyota will be strong this year.

We miss you Dale.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2008 09:17PM by red 5.
Re: Daytona 500 ***SPOILERS***
Date: February 12, 2008 09:19PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
At least it's something to watch this Sunday. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: February 13, 2008 01:08PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
Earnhardt Gordon and Johnson didnt really in the budshootout. I saw jr move around and take others as partners when he was infront or behind hendrick cars.

Date: February 13, 2008 03:02PM
my god, no penalty for Stewart and Busch,only six weeks probation period.

Nascar said it wil loose the penalties and that emotions are welcomed this
season and that drivers have to be themselves.

so, can we expect more of this:

&feature=related">
&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Date: February 13, 2008 07:21PM
What happened? I don't follow NASCAR at all, so elaborate please. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

Date: February 13, 2008 07:46PM
well, In a few words the feud from the past seasons between the two continued,
first they colided on the track and then they bumped int each other while entering the pits and then
had verbal fight after that. Thing is
2-3 years ago they would receive 100pts penalty and 100.000 usd fine.

thing is, that kind of conduct was common in NASCAR, Ken Schrader (not 100%,maybe it was another driver) throwing
his helmet at a winshield of another car etc...
...than nascar decided it was enough and introduced heavy points and financial penalties. And now they say it is welcomed again.

Date: February 15, 2008 10:10AM
the twin 150's were quite good, Im stoked that kahne has a good starting spot, as do alot of strong runners.

Date: February 17, 2008 03:24PM
Posted by: NeoLiot
there's any site where i can follow the race on line?

thanks...

-------------------------------------------
Date: February 17, 2008 03:41PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
[www.jayski.com]
[www.nascar.com]

Neither has video coverage, live timing and stats updates only. Given your...patriotic...sig, I'd guess your British, and the race is live on Sky Sports.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 17, 2008 03:51PM
Which one? And when? I can't find schedule info!!!

Date: February 17, 2008 03:56PM
Tonight at 8pm. Race Green is around 8:30pm.

And before a non-Brit points out that the time conversion from the US would make it 7pm UK, that is the American coverage. Our coverage is a 30min build up instead of 90min.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 18, 2008 01:38AM
Well done Ryan Newman. Great bit of bump-drafting by the elder Busch to get him to the front. For the first 150 laps or so, it was fairly uneventful! 2 cautions in 160 laps thanks to debris (I thought only IRL could get away with throwing full-course yellows for something like that), then 5 in the last 40, 3 in the last 15! And Montoya had a great opportunity to win it, and ended up near last.

And to anybody else who watched the full coverage, did my comment get read out? After the first 30 or 40 laps I texted in, but during the break I went for a waz and was a bit late getting back. :)

Date: February 18, 2008 05:59AM
Think about it turkey, do you want to run over a piece of debris and wreck or have a caution?

What an ending. Jesus christ that was amazing. Newman came from no where for the race. Im just happy that @#$%& Kyle busch didnt win! he ruined kasey kahnes finish by backing up in the middle of the pack. arsehole.

Post race interview from kyle busch

"waah wsaah waah im a little whinging @#$%& who ruins everyones race"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2008 06:03AM by NeilPearson.
Date: February 18, 2008 12:12PM
Posted by: gav
turkey_machine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For the first 150 laps or so, it was fairly
> uneventful! 2 cautions in 160 laps thanks to
> debris (I thought only IRL could get away with
> throwing full-course yellows for something like
> that)

Don't forget it was only just over half a decade ago that Dale Earnhardt died (and in an innocuous looking crash). There are some places you just don't want to crash.
Date: February 18, 2008 12:16PM
Don't forget it was only just over half a decade ago that Dale Earnhardt died (and in an innocuous looking crash). There are some places you just don't want to crash.

On that topic, I was reading an article earlier this week. After Jr won the Bud Shootout he went down to Turn 4 (where his father was killed of course) after everyone had left to just stand and look at it and there was a fan, wearing a black Goodwrench Jacket with a #3 on the back with his head bowed in prayer.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy