Nascar 2008 coverage... (Edit - great if you have Sky Sports...)

Posted by Daveyrat 
I just found this on the Sky Sports website (sorry if this is old news to some - page quoted 'Updated Feb 4';): -

---------------------------------------------------
MORE MOTORSPORT THAN EVER BEFORE LIVE ON SKY SPORTS
---------------------------------------------------

Sky Sports has signed deals with two of the world's biggest motorsports - NASCAR and the Indy Racing League.

NASCAR will come to Sky Sports for a brand new two year deal, which will feature coverage from all 38 races of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.

A three-year deal extension has been agreed with the Indy Racing League, continuing the 10 year association between the sport and the broadcaster.

*** NASCAR: 38 races of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, including the 50th running of the Daytona 500 on 17 February. Ex-Formula One stars Juan Pablo Montoya and Jacques Villeneuve, and Scottish-born Dario Franchitti, will race in front of motorsports' biggest crowds on tracks including the historic Daytona International Speedway.

*** INDY RACING LEAGUE: Each of the 16 IndyCar Series races this year, starting at Homestead-Miami on Saturday 29 March. Coverage also includes one of the oldest and richest annual motorsports in the world, the Indy 500, with Bedfordshire-born Dan Wheldon hoping to emulate his 2005 Indy 500 and IndyCar series win.

Dario Franchitti won the Indy 500 and the IndyCar series in 2007, and aims to become the third driver in history, after Mario Andretti (1967) and AJ Foyt (1972), to win both the Indy 500 and the Daytona 500 when he moves to NASCAR this year. Dan Wheldon, who won both the Indy 500 and series title in 2005, has won the opening race of the IndyCar season for the past three years.

The National Association for Stock Car Racing, Inc. (NASCAR) was established in 1948, and is rated as the number one spectator sport in the United States of America, with 75 million fans in the U.S. and venue capacities of up to 175,000.

Sky Sports is beginning its tenth consecutive broadcast season of the IRL IndyCar Series, and will show every one of the 16 races from this open-wheeled series. This year, four British drivers will take part including Darren Manning and Alex Lloyd, who Sky Sports viewers will recognise from A1GP's Team GBR.

Announcing the deal, Sue Ashworth of Sky Sports said: "These deals really underline the pedigree of motorsport on Sky Sports; NASCAR brings viewers some of the biggest names in motorsport with ex-Formula One legends racing in front of full houses in huge venues, while IRL fanatics line the street circuit and pack the speedways to watch some of the most exciting open-wheeled driving around."

Robbie Weiss, NASCAR's Vice President of Broadcasting and International Managing Director added: "We're delighted to be partnering with Sky Sports to bring one of the most exciting and competitive forms of motorsport to viewers in the UK and Ireland. Sky Sports' season long coverage will give fans the best seat in the house allowing them to experience the raw power and thrilling action of stock car racing. Sky's coverage is especially exciting as it coincides with Dario Franchitti's rookie season in NASCAR where he will join former F-1 stars Juan Pablo Montoya and Jacques Villeneuve as they battle NASCAR's best."

2005 IndyCar champion Dan Wheldon said: "Every season IRL gets more competitive and the racing more exciting. It's great news that viewers back at home will get to enjoy the action live on Sky Sports - and I know my family and friends will be pleased! Let's hope I can do them proud in 2008."

Sky Sports broadcast a range of different motorsports, showing over 2,500 hours of action in 2007. In addition to a variety of magazine programmes, Sky Sports shows live coverage of the Sky Sports Elite League, Grand Prix and World Cup speedway, plus NASCAR, Indy Racing League, A1GP and the Race of Champions, along with highlights from the British Rally Championship.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't believe it I'm so happy - I realise some won't be of course. I believe first event on is the Bud Shootout on early hours this Sunday!

I repeat sorry if this has been posted already - I did look briefly.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2008 02:45AM by Daveyrat.
As long as I can watch the highlights show on Channel 5 I'll be happy

That's pretty good! can cancel my expensive Sentanta package now and move over to sky sports, Great stuff! :)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Yeah - I wouldn't stump up the extra cash for 'Saltana' as I already pay £53 per month for Sky (that does include a multiroom set-up)!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Dario Franchitti won the Indy 500 and the IndyCar series in 2007, and aims to become the third driver in history, after Mario Andretti (1967) and AJ Foyt (1972), to win both the Indy 500 and the Daytona 500 when he moves to NASCAR this year.

So does JV, so does JPM, although with all due respect JV has something else in his pocket.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2008 09:35PM by red 5.
Of those 3, Villeneuve is the only one with a "real" Indy 500 win and a Championship from before the split. Montoyas was after the split (although arguably in just as tough competition) and he tied with Dario on points. Darios Championship came in perhaps IRLs highest talent year, but still not a shade on the CART days.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
oh @#$%& me am i happy. first time in 4 years that Foxtel are broadcasting the races in widescrean. Boo yeah!

Same over here on Sky Sports! Man it looks so much nicer now than the crap signal we had on Sentanta, pretty sure we are getting HD signals too so I may have to look around on ebay for a cheap Sky HD box :) I'll be damned if I'm paying £399 for one!

You know something's wrong with NASCAR commentators when at the start of the race one of them goes:

"Biggitybiggitybiggity! Let's go racing boys!"

Gets on my nerves EVERY time Darrell Waltrip says it. :-(

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2008 12:36AM by turkey_machine.
Nothings wrong with the NASCAR commentators.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
For the most part, that applies, at least they're better than James Allen. ;-)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

btw, its "Boogity" and you might want to look up the origin of it, and why its liked so much (aside from actually adding personality to what is otherwise just a 4 hour commercial show).

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
you have a problem with the best commentator in nascar? Wow.

I hope you didnt see any from last sesaon turkey. if you did, you need to be shot

I didn't see any from last season cos Sky didn't have any! :)

Thanks for the push to research Dave, I understand now where he gets the inspiration to go nuts from!

Well once we get onto NBC/ABC ESPN you will be begging for FOX to come back. your lucky you didnt get rusty wallace last year. man that was horriffic

Much as I hate Fox, they do by far have the best commentary team for Nascar...

Missing so many races atm, stupid broken sky dish :';(

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy