JPM2002's experience in FPA

Posted by JPM2002 
JPM2002's experience in FPA
Date: July 30, 2007 01:28AM
Posted by: JPM2002
Hello everyone,

It's almost one year ago now I tried to live my dream of becoming a racing car driver, and I want to share this moment with everyone. I'm 23 years old, was 22 the day of the test. Since I live in Belgium, and have never done anything related to motorsports, besides some karting trips with some friends, I was really going to be thrown into the deep end. Since some 'kids' and 'fat bankers' are racing in the series, I thought it wouldn't be that hard. How wrong was I...

Anyways, I saw on their website there was a possibility to get a full day of testing, so I tought about getting some more information. I never thought it would end up me driving an actual FPA car! I arranged a trip to England, a rental car (on the bloody wrong side of the road for me!), a place to stay, and the needed equipment (helmet Arai GP5, gloves, a suit, boots, fireproofs) and I was ready to go.

I remember getting to the Bedford Autodrome in Thurleigh. It immediately struck me this FPA crew was going to be a very professional team. The Autodrome structure looked amazing. It was divided into 3 or even 4 different tracks, on one of those people where driving their road cars on... To get to know the track, I raced for hours in rFactor on the Bedford Autodrome. It was quite accurate I must say, except for the chicane ahead of a fast left kink.

So getting to the track, I was getting ready for my initiation in real motorsports. In order to get to know the track for real, I was being chauffeured by a driving instructor in an Opel Speedster, the safety cars on track. After that, we where allowed a spin, with the instructor in the car. My run wasn't going very well. Considering I'm used to driving an automatic, with the wheel on the left side of course, plus my seat moving back and forwards, they wheren't really impressed... So before the where going to let me loose in the FPA car, I got to drive a light 'Jaguar' sportscar, with the driving instructor next tot me, connected to an intercom. We drove some laps, then I took over to learn some tricks. I learned to use a sequential gearbox, applying clutch, left foot braking, and tip toeing.

After a few runs, I was deemed ready for the real stuff. Because I was having some runs in the Jag before, the tires on car that was ready for me where cold... I squeezed into the cockpit (in Justin Wilson's seat). The cockpit was quite tight, considering I'm 1m86 and weigh about 86kgs. After strapping me in, and starting up the engine, away I was (after stalling twice :D). I didn't do extremely well of course, considering I don't even drive a car with gears, but I can't say I disgraced myself. I spun several times of course, even had a high speed spin just in front of the pitwall, ahead of the fast righthander before start/finish, for the people who know the track. I think I did 3 or 4 good laps, the best being just a bit slower then Aaron Steele (a series regular) slowest flying lap that same day... After a 20 minutes, I got called into the pit. I felt the adrenaline still flowing trough my body.

I have to say, the experience was amazing. The car was not too powerful, I didn't have too much trouble using the throttle. The acceleration it gave, was incredible. The grip, and braking where also very impressive. Only, on the first lap, the grip wasn't too good, but considering the tires where still cold, it was ok. After a few spins, and a few laps, I really got the some heat in it, and could feel the grip of those tires.

All in all, looking back, it was unforgettable. I'm taking up karting now, I really want to have the opportunity to become a real racing driver. I upped my fitness, I'm much trimmer now too. I'm still 1m86 :D, and now I weigh about 82kgs, which isn't much less, but considering I'm much more muscular now, it's kinda normal. Not that fitness was a problem during the tests... I'm busy buying a kart right now, and subscibing me to a club. I'm hoping to compete in a series like FPA in the near future, but at least, nobody can take this away from me!

I've added some pics too...

Re: JPM2002's experience in FPA
Date: July 30, 2007 01:36AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Simply awesome!
In one of the pics of you getting in the car, the mechanics don't look too pleased ;).
Date: July 31, 2007 10:38AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
wow cool :D

lucky sod i can tell you :)

Date: September 17, 2007 11:55PM
Posted by: bazza_racer
they're good cars aren't they? you probably shouldn't have played Rfactor too much though, as realistic as it is, it doesn't give you the feel for the track, may have been better to have gone with no pre- conceived ideas of the track but at least you enjoyed yourself. quite an expensive day out?!

"Racing is LIFE. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen.
Date: October 09, 2007 10:56AM
Posted by: razgriz
Your that chinese guy?wow,my dad planning for me next year kart..after graduating 4thyr, actuali i loss confident when i gonna drive touring cars etc..im more compatible on openwheels like yours..
Date: October 09, 2007 11:00AM
btw hows the G-force you get? running about 250km/h..
Date: October 09, 2007 11:49AM
and hows the cockpit is it okey that fit your view to steer left or right?
Date: October 12, 2007 11:48AM
btw did u pay for their testing...is their also a test drive like what happen on yours tell now? pls tell me..
Date: October 27, 2007 09:51AM
Posted by: bazza_racer
@razgriz

I work for that company, and i can tell you that you do have to pay for the testing, i'm not sure how much it is but its not cheap. your view out of the cockpit would be fine because the drivers normally have a seat fit so you can see properly and clearly and reach all the pedals.... And when you are travelling fast you wont feel hardly anything g-force wise it's mainly through cornering and under braking you will feel it.

"Racing is LIFE. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy