Mansell's Sons

Posted by marcl 
Mansell's Sons
Date: April 03, 2007 11:52AM
Posted by: marcl
What do u all think of them.

They are moving up to f3 this year but if i remember right they did not do all that well in the BMW championship.

I think they are getting the drives due to their name and stopping others who do have the talent getting good drives.

Am I wrong ? what do u think ?
Re: Mansell's Sons
Date: April 03, 2007 12:11PM
Posted by: gav
Pretty much agreed. They're not awful, from what I've seen of them, but they're not gonna be F1 drivers, that's for sure.

Just think they started their careers too late to be honest.
Date: April 03, 2007 12:32PM
Posted by: Peat
They can drive racing cars proefficiently, thats all.

As gav said, they aint gonna be F1 drivers.

Date: April 03, 2007 12:49PM
But they have got a drive with one of the top F3 teams if they are not going to make it to F1 I feel they are wasting a chance for someone who can.

Never know they might set the world alight.
Date: April 03, 2007 12:55PM
Posted by: Peat
Yeah i agree. They with Fortec arent they? My mate james raced for them in Frenault and F3 a few years ago. James finished 3rd in the championship with them but the his team-mate(s) were pay drivers and were rubbish. Rohan O'Mahoney was awful but his old man was loaded. He was replaced by Markus Marshall (now in Aussie V8's?) was pretty poor. (He won a race, but it was in expectional circumstances)

So yes, they are robbing some people of a chance, but Fortec is a business. They have to make money somehow.

Date: April 03, 2007 01:08PM
You don't have to be in a top F3 team to show what you can do. Classic example for most is Alonso in a Minardi - the general public weren't particularly impressed by him, but the guys in the know could see he had the ability (actually, potential is probably a better word) he's shown in the last 2 years.
Date: April 03, 2007 01:19PM
Yes the same can be said with JB as well.
Date: April 03, 2007 02:12PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes the same can be said with JB as well.

No its the other way around for JB.

Date: April 03, 2007 08:02PM
Posted by: bestobritish
lol these guys are nothing special, just very average at most. I expect theyl up in some kind of series like sports cars or touring cars but definetly not F1.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: April 03, 2007 10:54PM
Posted by: FRESCO
The older brother was doing quite well in Formula BMW at the end of last year, but certainly not setting the world alight.

The younger one looked out of his depth even in FBMW, and so I don't like to think how poorly he will fare in an F3 car. He needed another year in FBMW.

Date: April 04, 2007 06:05PM
Posted by: bazza_racer
Greg ( the older one i think ) is ok but leo is stil finding his feet. but the sport evolves around money. it no use being the fastest driver in the world if you dont have a budge to show it. and as to the starting late, Takuma Sato only started racing when he was 17, he raced push bikes before that and look where he is?.... There's also alot of expectation on their shoulders "the sons of the great nigel mansell" lurning curve - BIG ONE!

"Racing is LIFE. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen.
Date: April 05, 2007 01:34AM
Yeah, but Taku set the world alight in the lower formulae, the only thing these 2 have set alight so far are their cars. The 2 times I saw them last year they were utterly hopeless.

It's not a high-up formula - it's Formula BMW - the natural rung up from karting. They should have at least been scoring regular points and occasional podiums. Even Bruno Senna (not exactly tipped to be a multiple world champion) came in showed some fight, usually qualifying up front... before spinning into the gravel.
Date: April 05, 2007 01:28PM
Posted by: bazza_racer
HAHA very true. sorry wasn't defending them but was just pointing out to those that think you wont go anywhere if you start racing at a late age, and that if you have money you can do what you like which sucks, for those of us who'd love to go racing but can never find a budget :( ANOTHER YEAR OF KARTING IT IS THEN?!

"Racing is LIFE. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy