Memorable races: Tell us ur stories.

Posted by Racer#73 
Memorable races: Tell us ur stories.
Date: December 17, 2009 04:23AM
Posted by: Racer#73
Hi!

One of these days it came up to my mind that it would cool to launch a thread here about one of the best things we can do with this game. Which is racing. Even being a simulation this game makes all of those who've played it to imagine (even just for a little second) to be real race car driver, or to imagine that ur competing against ur favorites drivers etc.

So, I don't know if anything like this has been done here before, but I'm launching this thread for u to tell ur most memorable moments playing this great game, like ur best/most memorable performance on a race, the race where u had the most fun (the kind ur having so much fun that u don't want the race to end), ur worst performance on a race (like unforgettable but for the wrong reasons) or ur biggest disappointment.

Here's my selection

Best performance: I got to say it was the season finale of the season that I won my first and only championship yet. It was at Guapore, Brazil, and I dominated both races and got to win the series title by 1 point. Other race worth to be mentioned is my win at Istanbul on my fourth season because I was having a disappointing season I managed to lead the 300km race from start to finish without screwing things up (much).

Most fun: The one that comes to my mind is a race at Tsarskoye Selo on my 3rd season. Even though I was battling for 10th position or so, I was having fun passing the car I was battling with at one point of the track and at another point of the track he passed me. It was like there wasn't a boring moment there for me.

Worst performance: I must say that my recent races haven't been by far my greatest performances. On the contrary, I'm having performances worth to be mentioned on the f1 rejects site;) But there are a couple of races that seemed that never ended. The first one was at Jerez on my first season. I got the pole for a 300km race but spent the whole race spinning and getting into the gravel traps. The other one was at Miami Bayfront Park on my fourth season. It was a 150km race where I took the pole but got the same result as that one at Jerez, spinning and spinning....The ironic thing is that I had a better performance there under wet conditions in the 75km race of that weekend.

Biggest disappointment: I guess the season that I was the defending champion was a whole disappointment itself. But to chose a race I remember one at Sakhir on my championship season, where I was having a dominating weekend, and during the race while leading by a fairly comfortable margin my suspension broke one lap before my first scheduled pit stop.

These are my stories. Hope to read your stories too.

Cheers
Re: Memorable races: Tell us ur stories.
Date: December 17, 2009 07:35AM
Posted by: abdelkader
Best performance: Actually, my best performance period is taking place right now in WTCC. My rivals are not of the same league as me. I didn't win only two races out of ten. The pretty same situation took place when I was simulating F-1 1979 season. I managed to win a couple of races in a row despite having only an average car with quite low reliability.

Most fun: The most fun for me there was at San Marino Grand Prix 1994 and 1995. I won both races. I really loved the previous Imola layout and I can drive that track with my eyes closed. I feel great at every curve and really feel the groove of that circuit. No matter if I win there or not - Imola has always been my favourite venue, despite the layout changes after 1994.

Worst performance: Definitely my penultimate season - F-1 1986. Despite driving for Williams in its prime, I was struggling to fight the rivals. Every qualifying session was a huge battle for every position. I retired after a couple of races after heavy underperformance. Similar situation happened in GP2 where I was hoping for the final victory but the last couple of races were blown away and I finally was 4th in the standings.

Biggest disappointment: Just like above - F-1 1986. I didn't expect to be so inferior to the rivals. I was born that year and really wanted to commemorate it somehow. Unfortunately, it would have been better if I hadn't started that season at all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 02:39PM by abdelkader.
Date: December 17, 2009 01:42PM
Posted by: savinaclaudio
Great idea Racer#73.
Anyway, i feel just like a real driver every single time i play Gp3 (and Gp2 before). Often i even do the press conference after the race...and if i get a podium, i get on a step in my house and drink champagne...(well, not just champagne, but a good beer).

Best performance: i should say Cleveland, in my first Cart season, where i get the first (and only) victory. But it is too easy. So i say Laguna Seca, the last race of the season. I really did a perfect race: i pushed hard when i had to push, i controlled when i had to control, i made some very nice overtakes, i never took a risk. I finisged 4th. But a great race.

Most fun: surely in Cleveland, 'cause it's a track i love. But even in Long Beach and Rio Oval. But in Cleveland i won, so it was a great moment!

Worst performance: Toronto. I had done very well in practice and qualifying, but the race has been a nightmare! Never felt the cart in my hands, and just to finish in glory, i made a mistakes on the last lap when i was 4th, and lost 2 positions.

Biggest disappointment: Fontana Oval. I ran out of fuel exiting the last corner of the last lap. And Mid Ohio, when i made a mistake with only 2 corners to the finish, and lost a 3rd place, in a day when i could win the race. Monterrey has been another disappointing race, i was dominating it until it started raining, and chose the wrong tyres (full wet instead of intermediate). But the biggest of all is Magny Coures: F1 season 1996, i was driving for Prost Gp, so it was His home Gp (i was playing Gp2!). At the last corner of the last lap, when i was 2nd, i made a mistake 'cause i looked in the mirror to whacth where the following drivers were (Villeneauve and i don't remember who else, but they were very close to me) and missed the breaking point. I finished 3rd, but that day we didn't drink any champagne...
Date: December 18, 2009 05:51AM
Posted by: Racer#73
savinaclaudio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great idea Racer#73.
> Anyway, i feel just like a real driver every
> single time i play Gp3 (and Gp2 before). Often i
> even do the press conference after the race...and
> if i get a podium, i get on a step in my house and
> drink champagne...(well, not just champagne, but a
> good beer).

LOL

Actually, before the start of that race I won at Istanbul I just like closed my eyes like I was focusing for the big race since it was a big opportunity to get a great result in a disappointing season. At that time I felt like a real driver feeling the pressure for showing some results as the defending champion and that being the right opportunity to do so. So, I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, told myself to keep my s*** together. And in the end it seemed that it worded;)

Cheers. Looking forward to read more about your stories.
Date: December 19, 2009 10:18AM
The same here, guys :) I also do similar things. It's cool to see that I'm not the only positive GP3 freak. Keep it up!

Date: December 19, 2009 03:54PM
Posted by: GPGSL-3
Great idea, guys!!

Date: December 19, 2009 04:18PM
Posted by: Rod_vs
Well, people. I'll wrote stories about my performance on GPGSL-3 and races when I play. Actually, I'm occupied with championship... ;)

Best performance:
*GPGSL-3: Of course, on England, 2007, when I won my first GP.
*Playing: Brazil, 2004. A group os 22 Latin America GP3 fans played online (with a server) on Interlagos track. I ran with McLaren. A fictional carset, but the same for all. So much rain, I was on first. But, remaining 17 laps to finish, I had a break problem. But I won the race with a gap from second place to 15.900s (before the problem, the gap was 11.3).

Worst performance:
*GPGSL-3: Well... so much races... hehehehe... I think Japanese GP, on 2007. I retired from both races, starting on 16th and 18th!! Terrible!
*Playing: Monaco, 2002. I was leading the race. I made a terrible mistake on Portier curve and downed to 9th place, on lap 20. After this, I didn't overtake nobody!! I finished on 13th!

Biggest disapointed:
*GPGSL-3: Brazil, 2009. It's a big sad for me when I wasn't the winner of my home GP. Another race that leaves me so angry was Malaysia, on the same year. My engine broken remaining 3 laps to go, when I was on 1st place!
*Playing: Montreal, 2000. I had a puncture on last lap!

Most fun:
*GPGSL-3: Russia, 2009. The rain stops and came back every time. I started on 10th and finished on 2nd. A great race, with lots of overtakings.
*Playing: Spa, 2003: another online player. I started on 22nd because I lost the qualifying time. I finished on 3rd!!! And the winner was a driver who started on 17th!! Lots of overtalinkgs, so much rain... so funny!!

One Racing driver and team manager
GPGSL-3: champion in 2007/2013/2014!
GPGSL-4: testdrivers champion in Season 11!
Date: December 22, 2009 12:07AM
Nothing?

Date: December 22, 2009 01:40AM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
I'll try and write something about when I used to race in leagues, some details are bound to be sketchy as the one of the websites is no longer online :(

Best performance
Strange one this as I didn't win the race but it was at Interlagos in my one and only season of time-limited league racing. I had struggled for most of the season with having a dog of a PC and just not driving very well, but in the final round with the championships all decided I put in my best performance of the season to qualify second and finish the race second. Both in Qualy and the race I was ahead until very late and only just got pipped by a fraction, but I didn't mind too much as it was the first time I had ever driver really well in TL and I was beaten by the series champion only.

Worst performance
Oh, there has been a few. But perhaps my worst ever race (and qualy for that matter) was in Macau. The series went to this track for the second season and laptimes were much faster on the re-visit as people now knew the track better and what sort of setup to use. Except for me! My qualy time was something like 0.5s quicker than I managed the year before but everyone else was going up to 2 seconds faster! In the race I couldn't do a thing right and really struggled with tyre wear, ending up coming in something like 8th out of 10 drivers, in a season I was more used to challenging for podiums.

Most fun
A one-off TL race I did at Mont Trembalnt having already won my Division in the non-TL class. Another end-of-season race turned into a battle of the Brits as me and another chap went toe-to-toe in qualy. We qualified on race fuel and setups and I think I came second by something really small like 0.02s or suchlike. The race was fun because the weather seed meant a gradually drying track over what I think was 60% distance. I made a mistake of pitting too early for dry tyres and had a real challenge to keep it together for a couple of laps. I ended up winning after my main rival crashed out just past half way, but the battle was great and to weather and the suprb track made it one of the most enjoyable races I have ever done.

Biggest disappointment
No, I don't get disappointed with computer games! But if I did it would have to be a race at Most. It came a round after I had won my first ever race in a Sud-Am league (at Rouen in the rain I took the lead in the final sector of the final lap!) and I had done a mega lap to get my first pole at Most. In the race I was flying but couldn't keep my pace and my teammate overtook me on the last lap. The person I stole the win from in Rouen was laughing on the website about me getting beat in this next round after leading almost from start to finish... I didn't say a word because this time he was mile back! But yeah, if it was real racing I would have been gutted to lose a win to my teammate on the last lap :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: December 22, 2009 08:26AM
St.Hubbins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the race I was flying but couldn't keep
> my pace and my teammate overtook me on the last
> lap.

You should've set up team orders ;)

Date: February 05, 2010 01:54AM
Posted by: MarkCichonski
Craziest Race.

I don't remember all the details from above, but there was one race in F1 2003 or 4. I was driving either a Jordan Honda or Jordan Ford. Don't remember what track it was, but I was on Coultard's rear and he got on the breaks hard. Instead of bashing in his rear, I flipped up and over going way into the are and ending up in a sand trap. SPECTACULAR and the replay was awesome!
Date: February 05, 2010 09:13PM
Posted by: OMyrvold
Just wondering, you guys that talk about "my season in 19** and 20** for team x" are you guys driving offline? And how do you manage to get a good competive level on the AI's? If I make it hard to do a good race (I have to have a perfect race) early in the season, the last part is impossible. And if i change the level on the opponents to make them hard, but not impossible the last half, it's too easy in the first half.
Date: February 06, 2010 10:59PM
Posted by: reddwarf
Anyone else had a race where no one else finishes?? Have had this happen twice on offline games! 1st time was on a 3rd party circuit so i thought it was a glitch in the tracks programming, but the second one was at the original game's Spa- every other car had retired by half distance-easiest win of my "career" lol
Date: April 03, 2011 01:50AM
Up... =D

Date: April 04, 2011 05:59PM
Posted by: savinaclaudio
@ OMyrvold: I play at home with my PC, my force feedback steering wheel and pedals.
Personally, i found out that to manage the AI level in Gp3Edit is not enough to have realistic opponents level, so i set track by track the MD file.
Usually: i set the AI grip (cc grip factor) for Ace level, so that i can just take the pole (but i have to do a perfect lap).
In this way the performance of each track is more or less the same, and the fun is great!
Hope this was the answer you needed.
Bye
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy