Logitech G25 wheel setup for GP3 + a braking connected question

Posted by abdelkader 
Hello.
As I stated in a couple of my posts in another thread, I got myself a G25 for my racing games. The question number one is whether anyone could provide me with the most realistic setup of G25 for GP3.

The question number two is connected with braking.
After ages of using gamepads and wheel-gamepads I'm completely unable to brake correctly in a F-1 car. Up until now it was like pressing digital buttons on a gamepad. I don't know whether I should apply full brakes in corners or maybe I should use pulse braking. I very often either spin off or take corners at unoptimal, lower-than-should-be speed. I know those are newbie sort of questions...but I'm completely new to racing with wheel and only started getting head and tail of it.

I hope to have those two solved by you, GP3 PC wheel users. :) Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi!

Wheel wise, I can't say much about getting a more realistic setup for ur G25 for GP3, as I have a Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Wheel. However, I also feel that the feel I get from my wheel it's not the best either, especially in terms of Force Feedback. At most of the time it feels like I don't have FF on, while I set it up to 100% in the control settings in the game.

Now, as far braking is concerned, I usually press the brake pedal harder at the beginning of the braking process, and especially when the deceleration is higher. For example, you are racing at Monza and u are running full speed down the front straight towards the first chicane. Suddenly you have to brake for the very slow tight chicane. First you should apply full braking and as the speed is being reduced you gradually release your brake pedal so the wheels don't lock under braking. As you reach the chicane and ready to turn you should have already released your brake pedal. Remind that if you have to reduce your speed from 300km/h to 100km/h you have to apply more braking than if you have to reduce from 300kph to 200kph. Otherwise, if you apply full braking at every turn you'll lose the rear easily and spin.

Well, I guess this is it for now. Sorry if my tips aren't the best ones, but I hope they could help you a bit. Let me know if they did.

Cheers
That's roughly what I would have said :)
Thanks, Racer. Your tips helped me a lot. Actually, you must have read my mind because I was extremely frustrated while attempting to take the first chicane at Monza, which you used as an example to suport your theory :) Meanwhile, I came up with a similar technique. I brake hard at the beginning of the process but then I release the pedal suddenly - not gradually. In most of the cases it works quite fine but sometimes I get uncontrolled wheelspin and have to make up for it with wheel movements.

Actually, I wasn't asking about FF but about steering lock, steering help, reduce with speed and other options of this kind. Apart from playing GP3, I'm also trying to nail GP4 and I noticed that I simply cannot enter some curves as the steering lock seems to be too low. However, increasing the lock didn't help much and I just don't know what is wrong with it. Once again, the first curve at Monza will be the best example. I keep receiving black flags for taking the corner in inappropriate way. I either run wide or cut it. When I attempt to take the corner so that I don't get a black flag, I have to slow down almost to 0 kph. I feel it shouldn't be this way.

i also use a logitech wheel altho not sure of the model (red n black one!). Re steering lock this is adjustable in the controller set up menu, i would go with more than the default, if only for monaco...leave the reduce with speed as it is but reduce steering assistance to zero, otherwise it never feels like you are quite in control. this way the car should only respond to your inputs( assuming you are playing with the driver aids turned off..)I find it undriveable without the FF being plugged in tho, feels wierd! i also find a more gentle braking approach works for me, otherwise i lock the brakes and lose the car, pulse braking does sort this if you have locked up tho
Hi again!

Sorry for taking so long to reply...

Regarding steering lock, the lower the value u set it up, the harder it will be to turn the car. On GP3 used to set it up to the max value (20) which kind of helped me turning the car, especially on tighter turns. Meanwhile, in order to get more equal to the AI I set it to a lower value (usually to the default one: 12). This forced me to reduce the speed on corners to also reduce a little of the advantage that I might have to the AI. And don't know how this works on GP4, but I guess it's pretty much the same.

Cheers
Thanks guys. I also use the maximum-20-degree lock. I also tried using 12-degree one but, as you said, I had to slow down in some cases and I got back to 20-degree lock.
I don't know, maybe it's just me but the same settings applied to GP3 and GP4 work quite different. While in GP3 I'm already well able to keep the car on track and take corners, in GP4 everything is somehow slower and more smooth. Just as if the car was less responsive whatever the settings are. As I say, maybe it's just me :P.

reddwarf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> leave the reduce with speed as it is but
> reduce steering assistance to zero, otherwise it
> never feels like you are quite in control. this
> way the car should only respond to your inputs(
> assuming you are playing with the driver aids
> turned off..)

Yes, I know that. I've already adjusted it.

> I find it undriveable without the FF
> being plugged in tho, feels wierd!

I switched FF off, in spite of the fact I love it, because I'm afraid that in the long run it might damage the wheel and I also might develop some kind of disease which strikes mainly pneumatic hammer operators due to the vibrations they have to endure. I generally never set FF to its full strength.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2009 08:33AM by abdelkader.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy