best method to create performance close to reality

Posted by jfm 
best method to create performance close to reality
Date: October 07, 2009 08:33AM
Posted by: jfm
I try to recreate the 1991 monza race as close to the real performance as possible. For the moment the best method i find is to use both gp3 edit and gp3 failure editor. The result is not bad but not perfect, the start grid is not always the same, sometimes Senna or Mansell, who are supposed to be the best one, are in the front line, sometimes they only reached 4 or 5 position. I try to use GPx Perf WorkShop v.1.02 with doing all in order (g3 file performance, race time table with real times and test pilot) but in the end when the soft caculate the new file performance he puts for majority of cars the false number grip - 2147483648

Some advice will be welcome
Than you
select a starting grip for the polesitter, then calculate the percentage between the pole sitter and some other drivers in the grid (basing on real results) and manipulate the grip/bph to make those drivers fall around those ranges. then make a quick test and refine the values. if you want a realistic grid everytime you need to decrease the ability range to few units to avoid shuffling

the failure editor works in particular and extreme cases because is a apoiler. do you have fun knowing who will retire and at what lap? Play with the reliability in gp3edit instead. if in the real race both cars of the same team finished the race set 2000/3000. if at least one car suffered a mechanical problem set 6000/8000. if both cars retired by mechanical problem set 12000/14000. exclude who retired by collision or accident. they shouldn't count toward the reliability.

in 1991 some cars were around 7% off the polesitters which means a level of grip too low to Gp3 to understand what's going on, so you may see the car missing the braking points and do off track in every turn. I'd swear I've seen in some races drivers 12% off the pace. In these case set a limit or the races will be silly as in old years gaps were a bit large

-------------------------------

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 09:25AM by R_Scandura.
Re: best method to create performance close to reality
Date: October 07, 2009 10:07AM
Posted by: Willb
Hi,

Give this a go [www.thecodeteam.co.uk]

It's an access db I made in about 2006 for GP4 which enabled me to create really realistic Silverstone 2005 performances. Basically does as R_Scandura says, the hardest part is getting the pole sitters laptime perfect :).

For basic use add your pole sitters laptime in the left top 3 boxes, eh enter 1 24 256 for a 1:25.256 lap, then enter you required laptime (from real life) for p2 in the second box, click the left calculate button. Copy this %age into the right %age box, and enter the pole sitter ability you found for his perfect lap time, then click the calcualte button on the right, and this will give you the new ability for P2's ideal lap time :)

Let me know if it works for you!

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 10:15AM by Willb.
As for reliability, it's calculated by the percentage of laps not completed due a car failure... Example:

- A 100 lap race
- Car #1 finish the race
- Car #2 is out of the race at lap 30 (70% of race not completed)
- Team car reliability = (0% + 70%) / 2 = 35%

Then, set the reliability value until it reaches the percentage you want...

GPGSL-3: Fox race driver and team manager - 2011-2012 Constructor Champion - 2012 Driver Champion

Season 9 - #18 Erick Von Draxeler - #35 Marcus Bongardt
R_Scandura Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> select a starting grip for the polesitter, then
> calculate the percentage between the pole sitter
> and some other drivers in the grid (basing on real
> results) and manipulate the grip/bph to make those
> drivers fall around those ranges. then make a
> quick test and refine the values. if you want a
> realistic grid everytime you need to decrease the
> ability range to few units to avoid shuffling

I have a question...

I use to set the "default" 16384 / 810 values for grip and BHP for the driver supposed to win the season... But sometimes I make laps up to 1,5 seconds faster than reality (Belini's Singapore 2009, I got 1:44, fastest car got 1:46)

--update--

In some other tracks, like Monza, I can't go better than +0,5 seconds to the pole time...

So, I must reduce the grip, right?

GPGSL-3: Fox race driver and team manager - 2011-2012 Constructor Champion - 2012 Driver Champion

Season 9 - #18 Erick Von Draxeler - #35 Marcus Bongardt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 10:17PM by ErickVonDraxeler.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy