GP3 simply will not start

Posted by geekrock82 
GP3 simply will not start
Date: January 13, 2008 10:18PM
Posted by: geekrock82
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the most common reasons for GP3 simply failing to load up AT ALL (i.e. I don't even see any menus) before crashing back to desktop? I'm desperately trying to figure out why it won't run on my machine. I'm using XP (service pack 1), I've got a 32MB ATI Radeon 9000 (a laptop one), about 2GB of RAM, and so on; I've got DirectX 9 - I'm loathe to roll back to 7 because that'll mean other games I have won't run. I've run it in just about every combination of compatibility mode possible - and I've also tried it at every single stage of the install process (that is - after a completely fresh install; then after patching to 1.13; then after replacing the EXE with the decrypted one; and finally through GPxPatch).

I've had the game run on another Thinkpad - lower spec than this one, but still using XP - in the past, so I'm completely baffled as to why the game won't even get as far as the intro movie or graphics calibration screen before dumping me back at my desktop - I just get a brief moment of black screen (sometimes not even that). Are there any particularly common reasons - perhaps relating to DirectX or having to disable Direct3D or something - for this to be happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

---

[f1colours.wordpress.com]. A blog about liveries. Because some of us really are that sad.

[www.noisetosignal.org] | [www.ganymede.tv]
Re: GP3 simply will not start
Date: January 15, 2008 04:02PM
Posted by: andrzej pilaszkiewicz
Hi,
The problem you have described seems to be extraordinary... I use PC with exactly the same specs (DirectX 9 also) as yours. And never had any problem in running GP3 (patched also). Maybe it's ATI Radeon installation problem ? Good luck, anyway.
Date: January 16, 2008 11:24AM
Posted by: mcdo
Dumb question maybe, but have you tried starting it again after it has failed the first time? I'm using XP with a SiS Mirage card and half your RAM...not a gamer's setup. GP32K always stalls at a black screen at first start and after killing GPxPatch and the exe through Task Mgr, it works.
Date: January 19, 2008 06:11PM
Yeah, there's not a hanging screen for me to cancel - it just drops straight out after going black, no task left running. Sigh - it's very frustrating! I just wonder if there's any kind of particular software or hardware that could be conflicting with it, but... seems there isn't a known issue that could be causing it. Really annoyed about this - I was looking forward to getting back into it! I'd play GP2 but it runs too quickly on my machine...

---

[f1colours.wordpress.com]. A blog about liveries. Because some of us really are that sad.

Date: January 19, 2008 11:04PM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
mcdo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dumb question maybe, but have you tried starting
> it again after it has failed the first time? I'm
> using XP with a SiS Mirage card and half your
> RAM...not a gamer's setup. GP32K always stalls at
> a black screen at first start and after killing
> GPxPatch and the exe through Task Mgr, it works.

Do you have any idea what causes this? I have experienced exactly the same problem, although both GP3 and GP3 2000 used to open first time without problems. I can only imagine there is some conflict with IE7 as I think I have only noticed this problem has developed since I installed this. Could be some other standard XP updates that cause the issue I suppose. It's difficult to pinpoint when I first started getting the failed start as I stopped playing for about a year, so I have only actually noticed it recently.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: January 19, 2008 11:30PM
Posted by: Dinga
Same here, tis a bizarre problem. Does the same in GP3 v1.13 and GP3-2000!

Date: January 20, 2008 08:37AM
Posted by: drafi5
I noticed the same problem too, it came after updating Windows.
Going back to IE6 solved it for me.

Happy racing from Germany !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2008 09:06AM by drafi5.
Date: January 20, 2008 10:22AM
Good spot Drafi! I won't go back to ie6 now, so I'll just have to live with it. I wonder if Rene Smit could come up with a fix?

Date: January 20, 2008 01:27PM
I'm not using IE7, so it can't be that for me; all very strange. As I've posted elsewhere, I get EXACTLY the same problem (down to the same error messages on the GPxPatch log) with GP4 as well!

---

Date: January 20, 2008 04:04PM
@geerock82 - looks like we're talking about 2 different bugs in the same thread. What I experience is what drafi5 had, GP4 works perfectly for me. Have you tried turning all background programs off and killing non essential services?

Could also try newer or older GFX card drivers(some older games just won't work with the newer ones) And turning things off like AA, AF, via your GFX cards controls may help. Other than that, I don't know.

Date: January 23, 2008 05:58AM
Posted by: mcdo
St.Hubbins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> mcdo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Dumb question maybe, but have you tried
> starting
> > it again after it has failed the first time?
> I'm
> > using XP with a SiS Mirage card and half your
> > RAM...not a gamer's setup. GP32K always stalls
> at
> > a black screen at first start and after killing
> > GPxPatch and the exe through Task Mgr, it
> works.
>
>
> Do you have any idea what causes this? I have
> experienced exactly the same problem, although
> both GP3 and GP3 2000 used to open first time
> without problems. I can only imagine there is some
> conflict with IE7 as I think I have only noticed
> this problem has developed since I installed this.
> Could be some other standard XP updates that cause
> the issue I suppose. It's difficult to pinpoint
> when I first started getting the failed start as I
> stopped playing for about a year, so I have only
> actually noticed it recently.

It was happening to me pre IE7. I just tested the GP32K exe and it starts first time, so maybe it's something twitchy with GPxPatch on XP and on certain computers. I'll try the compatability wizard again and see what gives, but it's another of those minor pc pains that becomes routine.
Date: January 24, 2008 02:33PM
Posted by: mattfd
I'm new to the forum and have been searching for the answer myself! I have the same problem with both GP3 and GP4 so frustrating when i have such a craving to play it again! any new ideas to the problem? ps i also have IE6 and XP is there the same problem on vista?
Date: January 24, 2008 03:55PM
Posted by: Fox
Hi

i use Windows2000, IE6 and GeForce5200 and run with Gp3 1.13 and Gp3 2k.
Before the instalation of .NET frameworks the games run with no black scrren at start.
After the instalation of .NET frameworks the games with black screen a start.

In black screen i press "Escape" and one window with a error message is open.
I press "Escape" again or click on the OK button and fast select the gp3, not gpxpatch, in task bar.

The game run OK.

In XP or Win98 or Win2000 without .NET frameworks the games run without black screens.

I don't know if is a new problem or the same problem, but if you have the .NET in your machine, try uninstal.

Sorry my english.

Fox
Date: January 24, 2008 05:22PM
Posted by: mattfd
Tried and failed again thanks though Fox...im getting tired of this problem will it have a solution?!
Date: January 29, 2008 08:51PM
Posted by: mortal
mattfd crash problem solved with gp3.exe win98 emulation ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy