packers -can someone explain please.

Posted by brnco 
packers -can someone explain please.
Date: October 16, 2007 02:30PM
Posted by: brnco
Can someone explain me what are packers and how to setup car using them. And what effect they have.

Alsaw I'm working on my car setups and I'm trying to improve my tyrewear (so tyres would last longer , because they seem to go away after three laps) so I made suspension as soft as possible and added some wings. but it is still the same. (I play with keys and without TC -maybie that is the reason?).

are you blind? -no, I'm deaf, can't you see? -no, I'm blind.
Re: packers -can someone explain please.
Date: October 16, 2007 05:07PM
Posted by: drafi5
This is in the belini info:
PACKERS
packers are needed for 100% race distances, included are 2 versions:

packers 1 - should be ok for most tracks
packers 2 - for tracks like spa/indianapolis maybe imola

to use packers and keep track dependant default setups
1. enter car setup menu
2. click user defined setup
3. click load car setup
4. load packers
5. click track dependant default setup
6. click back button

Happy racing from Germany !!!

Date: October 16, 2007 07:37PM
Posted by: Senna
First of all, its MAYBE not MAYBIE, it sounds... very gayish :P

Packers are most useful at circuits with very high top speeds, and are indispensable at places like Hockenheim. The ride height and packers need to be set AFTER the springs, since how low you can run the car will depend upon how much your springs are going to compress under the downforce of high speed. Your aim is "To run the car as LOW as possible (maximising undercar downforce), ensure the car is NEVER riding on the packers through any corner (at least not a corner where you require grip from that tyre), and have the settings so that the plank only occasionally "flashes" when reaching the highest speed. To do this requires a balance between packers and ride height.

Source: Doug Arnao's F1GP2 Setup Guide
[www.btinternet.com]

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
Date: October 17, 2007 01:50AM
Posted by: Fox
In GP3 1.13 when you no select drivers and run the one race the computer set an default setup for the track.
You can modify the setup and add more packers to car not touch the ground when in race, but you have test with fuel to no pitstop.
In vacum of another car, you car needs more packers to no touch the ground.

Sorry , my english.
Date: October 17, 2007 06:45PM
Posted by: Brianf666
Quote: Can someone explain me what are packers and how to setup car using them. And what effect they have.

Packers are restraints put into a coil spring to harden it. They do this by restricting the compression it can provide. As has been said before, using packers will allow lower riding which increases ground effect downforce. Yes, they are good on high speed circuits but they are also good when a circuit has a number of high speed turns like Barcelona when used in conjunction with quite high wing setting. You will probably notice some loss of lateral grip as you'd expect with stiffer suspension. Your setup changes a little as you can afford to set a correspondingly low ride height. Don't ask for a formula for this. Test each circuit just like the real teams do. A bumpy track will still require a higher ride than a smooth track.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: October 17, 2007 06:52PM
Posted by: brnco
I was trying to improve my setup rof interlagos wich is based on 17-17 wing setting, I have good grip through inlap section but lose a lot on uphil and start finish straight, so I tried 16-16 but couldn't drive through inlap as quickly and ended with even worse time than with 17-17. so I tried to lover the car and add some packers, but it won't work, car goes all over the place and tyres wear faster and there is some oversteer too. and the plank scrubs the asphalt... :(

are you blind? -no, I'm deaf, can't you see? -no, I'm blind.
Date: October 17, 2007 08:06PM
Posted by: Senna
ride height is too low or spring settings are too soft.

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
Date: October 19, 2007 11:58PM
Posted by: Brianf666
Well, I use 19:13 (F:R) for Interlagos with softish springs and around 50% packers, 50% up the ride height. I find less rear wing okay because most of the turns are quite tight where mechanical grip is more important. I still lose a bit in sector 2 but I'm hitting 203mph on both the long straights. (2007 settings with 740bhp) Then again, I have some really weird balance settings and can seldom get enough rear braking. This suits me as a Williams fan but I'm hoping to find better balance for the FW30.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy