OT: The Queen's jubilee concert

Posted by chris 
OT: The Queen's jubilee concert
Date: June 03, 2002 03:26PM
Posted by: chris
Sorry anyone not british, but I just had to say Eric Clapton's performance of 'Layla' was stunning. I know he is officially one of the best guitarists of all time (after Jimi, of course), but the intro and solo was outstanding!

Brian May did the national anthem on the palace roof, I guess like Hendix's Star spangled banner at the Isle of White festival...?

Anyway, sorry, but it was great. Anyone else been watching it? Its mostly shite, but there are moments of brilliance in there. I'm hoping Paul Wellar will play some of The Jam or Style Council, but I don't know if he's playing.

Chris J

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Re: OT: The Queen's jubilee concert
Date: June 03, 2002 03:31PM
Posted by: Zcott
Didn't see much of this evening's one....

But I will mention that I was playing today in Northern Ireland with a jazz band, and we were on the news three times, and LIVE on Blue Peter once....:D
Date: June 03, 2002 05:59PM
Posted by: matthewp
I thought May's national anthem sounded a lot like Jimi's Star spangled banner at Woodstock too. There were a fair few shite acts but some good rock songs too :-) layla was great and Paranoid wasn't bad. Bohemian rhapsody is such a great song its still amazing even without Freedie, not as good as the original of course.
The worst part had to be Ruby Wax, did she actually do any preperation? she was just talking total bollocks for the whole time.
Date: June 03, 2002 06:06PM
Posted by: LS.
it was great to see such british talent in one place,

eric clapton, brian may, ray davies, paul mcartney

but why did they have to spoil it by having manufactered @!#$ on like atomic kitten, blue, s club 7???

i felt embarressed for s club 7 when they were trying to sing live, they should have just sent the girls on topless and had them jump up and down for 2 minutes :-)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 03, 2002 10:38PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
G'day all...

Cos that modern @!#$ is what the current generation is growing up on. I know, it stinks, but think about it...... ur age group had all the british music legends, this one has all the s club 7 and blue etc.

Date: June 04, 2002 02:45AM
True. But we still have some class bands bridging the generation gap, eg U2

I don't think s club 7 were singing live exept for Bradley (is that his name?)

Chris J

Date: June 04, 2002 03:22AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
"they should have just sent the girls on topless and had them jump up and down for 2 minutes :-) "

Too true

The concert itself was pretty ok there were some decent bits but loads of that shitty teeny-pop grrrrrr...........

Queen (well you cant really call them that seeing as there were only two of them :';( ) were ok i guess

The fireworks at the end, they must cost millions

Date: June 04, 2002 07:17AM
Posted by: andrew_S
yeah i saw it live, it was fantastic wasnt it, thats going to go down in history as one of the best ever imho! queen were fantastic but without freddy its not the same is it, anyway whats happened to the 3rd member, i think his name was decon wasnt it?

I thought it was fantastic to see eric and paul too! i mean what a concert, and the fireworks after were just as good!!!
Date: June 04, 2002 08:14AM
Yeah. Hey Jude was incredible. I'm such a fan of great guitarists, and to see Clapton and May playing together was just sensational.

Date: June 04, 2002 02:30PM
Posted by: matthewp
just wondering, who else (as well as me) here plays guitar?
Date: June 04, 2002 02:35PM
I don't, but I'm going to start learning over the summer...so I can play Motorcycle emptiness (might take a while)

Date: June 04, 2002 05:34PM
Posted by: whyf1?
well I play the guitar.
Date: June 05, 2002 07:42AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Yeah i play guitar

Date: June 05, 2002 07:48AM
Posted by: Zcott
I play the piano. I can't play anything on the guitar, sadly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy