A small plea for assistance!

Posted by Daryl 
A small plea for assistance!
Date: February 21, 2007 03:19AM
Posted by: Daryl
Hello fellow GP3'ers!

Recently I have re-installed this great game along with the best ever F1 season (1991) as a carset. I seem to be having a problem with calibrating the graphics however, as everytime I start the game I am asked to do it all over again. I have google'd the problem and read the FAQ on this site too, but I have made sure my cards.txt file only has a single entry, and saved my gamestate many times! Any ideas whatsoever would be grately appreciated!!
Ta!
Re: A small plea for assistance!
Date: February 21, 2007 03:57AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Live with it. I've found no way to solve the issue, though mixed reports state that dual-headed graphics cards are the most likely culprit.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: February 21, 2007 05:00AM
Posted by: JackiMatra
It's also apparently an exclusively WinXP problem.

You may want to try changing your graphics card drivers (either updating or "backdating" them). Doing so solved this problem (as well as some other GP3 graphics issues) for me.
Date: February 21, 2007 07:35AM
Posted by: drafi5
The solution for this problem is the "Graphics Calibration Fix" by Frank
Triggs, it is written for Nvidia cards with detonator drivers.

For other cards:
Copy Gp3gc.exe to Grand Prix 3 directory, run Gp3gc.exe and click start, patch will begin. Done. Run Gp3.exe.
A backup of Gp3.exe will be created called Gp3.exe.bak.
Problems?
---------
If you run into problems delete gconfig.txt, cards.txt, f1gstate.sav, restart windows and run patched Gp3.exe again. You`ll be told that the screen resolution selected hasn`t been calibrated, click yes and it will calibrate your graphics from the highest resolution available first. When its finished quit and save changes. You`ll never be asked to calibrate your graphics again when you load GP3!...
(except when you change screen resolution it will test it)...

Happy racing from Germany !!!

Date: February 21, 2007 08:09AM
Where can Frank Triggs' patch be found?
Date: February 21, 2007 09:17AM
Posted by: drafi5
I just uploaded it on my homepage [http://www.drafi5.freewebspace4all.de/]
you will find it in the "Misc" section.

Happy racing from Germany !!!

Date: February 21, 2007 12:03PM
Posted by: pacerboy
JackiMatra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's also apparently an exclusively WinXP
> problem.
>
> You may want to try changing your graphics card
> drivers (either updating or "backdating" them).
> Doing so solved this problem (as well as some
> other GP3 graphics issues) for me.

I use to get the same problem with win98. I run a Nvidea card
and just disabled the 2nd monitor option and have had no
problems since. i now run winxp no problems at all.
Date: February 21, 2007 05:10PM
Posted by: Brianf666
I've had this problem come and go with both Nvidia and ATI cards. Come to an agreement with GP3. I don't mess with the graphics setup much and it don't ask to re-calibrate. But when it did it had all the cars in a field somewhere. Not cool.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: February 21, 2007 05:55PM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
Why don't I ever encounter any of the Win XP problems that people harp on about continuously?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: February 21, 2007 06:23PM
Posted by: vbc
Because you have compatible hardware Alan my friend :)

WinXP should give problems on making the game to crash when a track has some Far view commands and when you try to load a saved game, everything else works as good as in Win98.

Different problems than those I listed above are caused by hardware, I do not think there is a graphic card which works perfectly on every pc game, then in case you can not upgrade hardware and if there is not a "patch" you have to options: play or move ;)

In my case, I was not able to calibrate graphics neither, it was because I needed to update my card drivers, but in the mean time I spkipped the auto-calibrate option and did it manually, it worked fine :)

I hope the patch Helmut mentioned works :)

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
Date: February 21, 2007 07:46PM
Posted by: Daryl
You guys are the nuts, thanks for all your help lads.

And drafi5... that patch works a f***ing treat ;)
Date: February 21, 2007 09:34PM
Posted by: Brianf666
vbc Wrote:
I do not think there is a
> graphic card which works perfectly on every pc
> game,

There are OTHER PC games?
:=))

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: February 21, 2007 11:42PM
But there are no PC racers comparable to GP3.
Date: February 22, 2007 01:20AM
Posted by: The Lopper
Hey does this Graphic calibration fix work if the graphics just won't work with the game? I have nVidia GeForce 5200, GP 3 worked fine before with it, but then i updated it so i could load video from a DV camcorder and now it doesn't seem to like it at all..
Date: February 22, 2007 03:25AM
JackiMatra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But there are no PC racers comparable to GP3.

True, but there are better ones.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: February 22, 2007 03:59AM
Only if the important things to you are the appearance of the cars close-up, and online racing, and you don't much value things such as the AI, the accuracy of the tracks, or the quantity of cars, tracks, and other addons.
Date: February 22, 2007 06:26AM
Which of those does GP3 2000 fall down on?

Date: February 22, 2007 07:34AM
Posted by: vbc
GP3 Rules, and for me, only GP4 has a chance to beat it ;)

@The Lopper: are you back to GP3?

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
Date: February 22, 2007 07:43AM
I didn't mean to differentiate between GP3 and GP3-2k when I referred to GP3.
Date: February 22, 2007 10:19PM
Posted by: The Lopper
@ vbc

After a year of boredom with F1 in general, I recently acquired broadband and started looking up F1 videos on youtube, and realised i missed F1 badly. So just 4 months before the most important exams of my life, i have re-installed GP3!!! However the graphics card doesn't seem to like it that much, so i'm half thinking of upgrading to GP4 (never got it before, basically because I had so many downloads for GP3!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy