HOW TO ADD AN OBJECT "Basic Tutorial" for GP3Track Editor

Posted by prayerson 
Hi Everyone
Can anyone give me a basic guide on how to add an object in the track editor?

All I need is to be directed into the right direction .It dos'nt have to be a lengthly guide just some tips to get me started.

I know how to use the jamtool to add jam files to an exsisting object I read the tutorials on about the designing of objects but it dos'nt really show you on what buttons to press in the editor .

Anyone please Anyone!!!! I need your help!!!

Cheers
I'd also love for one of our track gurus to come and explain in a little more detail than the tutorials.... I've not got my head around objects at all!

Thank you in advance!
I ask again to mods and comminity if we need a Trackediting subforum, whit sections for GP3 and GP4 track editing.

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
In the GP4 forum is a main thread about trackediting and I think
we should have the same here in the GP3 forum, just like the good
old GP2 Trackediting forum.

Happy racing from Germany !!!

Still haven't quite got around to dealing with objects, but I did figure ribbons and scenary structures out last night, so I'm quite proud of myself haha!

I have about 5 tracks that I've made that have good layouts, heights, walls & cc lines but no scenary, so I am going to get cracking on finishing these off now that I know what to do

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2007 03:44AM by gareth.
Hi Gareth

Can you give insight on the ribbons & scenery structures . Do you use the track sector tree on the lefthand side of the editor to add objects (buildings ,scenery, ribbons ect).

Any info on the editor would be much appreciated!!!
The biggest trick I've learnt is actually to cut/copy and paste track commands from track to track and from sector to sector!! Any track sector with a little '+' on it on the tree on the left hand side has track commands that can be copied, edited or deleted.

With ribbons, how they are structured off to the side of the track is determined by the 'Scenary Definition' command, (or something like that, I'm using the net at work so don't have TE in front of me). Double click on the command on the left hand track sector tree and a box will come up that in the top shows a cross section of the ribbons, perpendicular to the track.

There are a heap of data fields across the top of the box, each of these relate to points where that ribbon ENDS and each ribbon is attached to ribbon before it, eg L1 is attached the side of the track, L2 is attached to the end of L1 etc. You can enter data values into these fields or even select a point and drag and drop on the cross section view until you get the desired look.

Each ribbon is assigned a texture just like you do for walls and verges using the texture mapping command.

It is actually easier than it looks, and this has become clearer for me by looking at MCervini's Sachsenring circuit and seeing what he's done and how he's done it, and then copy and pasting some of his commands into my track!

Once you have copied and pasted the commands over, you can then edit the values to get it how you want until you feel comfortable enough to put track commands in manually, however it is so much quicker and easier to do Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V!

In order for the ribbons to show up though, you must Turn ribbons on'. There are a series of values that relate to each ribbon, and if you add up say the value for ribbon L1, L2, R1 and R2, that will turn on those four ribbons. You can then turn on other ribbons in other track sectors by inserting the Turn ribbons on command again and entering more values. Turing them off works in the same way. Again, I don't have the values in front of me unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure the tutorial I have is from RScandura's awesome webpage, so you should be able to find them there. I've found them an enormous help.

You can do some funky stuff, the track I'm working on (a tri-oval and then another track that is the infield of the oval) uses ribbons to create the big roofed grandstand that goes right the length of the pit straight, turn 1 and the back straight. Looks pretty impressive (if I say so myslef haha!)

I hope that makes some sense, or hopefully a track master might like to come along and correct me!

I'm yet to quite figure out objects fully, so will leave that along for the moment. I might be able to shed a bit of light after the weekend hopefully!
Thanks Gareth for the insight Yeah thats a BIG help it gives me something to work in this area of ribbons.

Street circuits are my thing and if you can shed some more light on this very good subject it would be much appreiciated .Thanks again for your time in sharing your knowlodge its worth its weight in gold.

Well Done!!!!!!!
Gareth

Question when do you think your tracks will be available for download?
haha.........a couple of them I've been fiddling with when I get a chance for over a year, so it could be forever!

I'll keep fiddling away and let you know when one of them might be ready!
hi
if someone is interested I finished to update the guides. The objects editing now is splitted in 4 parts with more details and other chapters have been fixed here and there. it must be necessarily generic but the main actions are the same for all the cases.

Someone told my tutorial is a sort of click here, click there and blablabla. Well, for what I know to make the editor work you must click here and there, and not ask it by voice what to do. And I tried to put a screenshot for almost every action. Of course to understand something, it should be good to have at least a couple of read to the WHOLE tutorial because many arguments are interlaced each other, but from some PMs I got seems it never happened as the raging requests were always explained clearly on another chapters...

Anyway if you have any ideas, suggestions, errors to report, let me know and I will help/fix... or die trying... :P

-------------------------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2007 07:42PM by R_Scandura.
R_Scandura schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi
> if someone is interested I finished to update the
> guides. The objects editing now is splitted in 4
> parts with more details and other chapters have
> been fixed here and there. it must be necessarily
> generic but the main actions are the same for all
> the cases.
>
> Someone told my tutorial is a sort of click here,
> click there and blablabla. Well, for what I know
> to make the editor work you must click here and
> there, and not ask it by voice what to do. And I
> tried to put a screenshot for almost every action.
> Of course to understand something, it should be
> good to have at least a couple of read to the
> WHOLE tutorial because many arguments are
> interlaced each other, but from some PMs I got
> seems it never happened as the raging requests
> were always explained clearly on another
> chapters...
>
> Anyway if you have any ideas, suggestions, errors
> to report, let me know and I will help/fix... or
> die trying... :P

Hi Roberto,

your Tutorial is absolutely great. My opinion: if someone really wants to
learn track editing the one and only chance is to read and work with your
Tutorial from the first to the last page.
Nearly every problem i had on track editing, I found a solution in this
tutorial.

go on like this and many thanks for your efforts
I'll echo exactly what Zieli has said- your tutorials are superb and if you've updated them that is fantatsic news! Thank you!
It's a pity there is no version in dutch..my english is good but not that good to understand every word of it.
The updated tutorial for GP3 Track Editor is now available on Roberto´s
Homepage [http://members.lycos.co.uk/robgp3/Gp3/]
Thank you very much, Roberto.

Happy racing from Germany !!!

As I always ay, if you want to learn something, READ, then if you did not undertand something, READ again and finally if it is not clear or you want to learn something that is not speified, then ask :)

Besides the great tutorial made by Roberto there are other some good writings, I recommend the command library guide.
[www.waa63.ch]

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
I agree, it's a matter of patience...

And yes, the Addie Walti's tutorial is a MUST because explains deeply all the commands while I followed much possible the order of actions from the beginning.

good luck :)

-------------------------------
Hi everyone

Doe's anyone know how to seperate the objects in the track editor (the objects that are linked together ).They are the one's that are the same shape (duplicates) .Everytime i change the angles and move one of them ,they all seem to move with those changes .I've read through the tutorials and they are very good and helpful ,but i need more info on this area of unlocking the duplicates objects.Its mainly the buildings ,

Is it changing the offset numbers or is it something else !!

any ideas would be much appreicated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2007 02:21PM by prayerson.
I will have a go here...

You have to things: Internal objects (which contain the points, lines and texture mapping propiertiesfor 3d objects) and the Object definition (which places an internal object on the track, setting up position, rotation, height and visual propierties)

So if two object definitions share the same internal object (for example to place two buildings on different sectors of the track), everytime you modify the internal object, both buildings shape will change.
Then if you want to create more buidings, you need to create another internal object and use one object definition for each one.

Good luck and patience

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
Hi vcb
I hear what you are saying about the object definitions!

Example:
Say that I have a building that i want to duplicate

I make the duplication ,and then remake the second building "object definition" different to the orginal building.Giving it a new identity . Is that what you are saying!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy