Tips for better (or lower!) P.O.

Posted by elio 
Tips for better (or lower!) P.O.
Date: December 28, 2006 01:45AM
Posted by: elio
Other than the obvious of reducing the ammont of objects shown which reduces the realism does anyone have any tips for reducing the Processor occupancy and thereby helping the game to flow better?

I understand that half the problem is that the game doesn't utilise the graphics cards as well as it should. The game runs often at over 160%. On my PC GP4 never goes over about 60% during the lap.

My PC details are as follows: chip AMD 1.60 GHZ, Graph card NVIDIA Geforce 256 MB, Windows XP prof.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Tips for better (or lower!) P.O.
Date: December 28, 2006 04:13AM
Posted by: prayerson
Hi

The reason why the PO is high is because of your videocard settings are not correctly set for GP3.

The settings to get GP3 to run at around 40-70% are:

1. Anti-Aliasing set to 2x or
let the application decide.

2. Antisotropic filtering set
to 2x or let the
application decide .

3. I just set my Mipmap to
quality not high quality.

I had the same problem as you a few days ago and I played around with these settings and I got great results.

Also restart PC after changing settings .

Hope this helps .Post back the results
Date: December 28, 2006 11:51PM
Hi Thanks for the tips.

During the race I am getting around 60-70% but at the begging of the race it still goes up to around 200% which makes the starts very jerky slow and unenjoyable.

Any extra ideas?

Oh and do I need to recalibrate each time I change the graphics card settings?
Date: December 29, 2006 03:12AM
What sim Are you talking about GP3 or GP4?
Date: December 29, 2006 03:29PM
Posted by: Sapo
Yeah i was wondering also, with your specs elio, you should be able to run gp3 at max quality, without any problems!
Date: December 29, 2006 03:48PM
Posted by: aedewey
I use vertical sync off (someone put that tip time ago and it works!), set image quality to high performance.
My system: Pentium 4 2,8 mhz, 1 GB Ram and a Geforce Fx 5200, even in Belini tracks i onlye pass a few time the 100% PO
Date: December 29, 2006 06:02PM
Posted by: vbc
Well, according to his first post, GP3 seems to be the game he is using.
Yeah it is very strange that you do not get smooth gameplay with those specifiactions, before modifying anything on the videocard I would suggest to recalibrate the graphics in the game. (remmember to put the original Hunagoring before doing it ;))

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
Date: December 30, 2006 02:44AM
Hi there - thanks chaps!

I have set the vertical sync to off and this has cut off around 40% of the PO so quite a noticable improvement.

But now I want more!!

I can't seem to recalibrate. Keep getting message "wrong file type" despite replacing with original Hungary track and Jams.

Any ideas?
Date: December 30, 2006 03:53AM
Dos' anyone know where the vertical sync is? I can't seem to find it anywhere!

I've looked around in the videocard properties and its not there.

Its not in the game options either.

My Specs P4 2.8
Ram 896 meg
Videocard :ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128meg

I know it sounds silly but it should be in the options ,maybe Ati dos,nt support this option

Any Ideas anyone!!!
Date: December 31, 2006 09:26PM
Thanks for all these tips.

I have found a significant improvement.

Cheers!

Always welcome any additional stuff to try.
Date: January 01, 2007 10:59PM
Posted by: ThunderDesign
My stystem P4 3.0 ghz 1024 ram XFX6800Xtreme hits PO of 30 % in the rain.

Raymond Buijs - Thunder Design

Burn Rubber, Not your soul !
Date: January 01, 2007 11:28PM
Posted by: giallorosso_986
What resolution are you guys running the game at? I have a laptop with windows XP, P4 1.8, 500MB RAM and ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 .. and I must run GP3 at 640x480 to have a smooth framerate, but graphics on almost the lowest settings. During races at certain tracks the PO will get over 200 in the dry, particularly on external view.
Date: January 02, 2007 12:00AM
1280 x 1024 ith 8 x AA and 16 x VS

Date: January 02, 2007 01:42PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
The only time I get over 100 regularly (it hits 200 on occasion) is at Hockenheim, on the first long blast through the forest with the external camera view. But that's only because there's so much to draw there. I found that AA (AntiAliasing) was hogging the PO too much, so turned that off. AF (Anisotropic Filtering) doesn't so much, and I set that at 2x to give the CPU something to do. :) Also bear in mind that wet races take more PO than dry races.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: January 03, 2007 11:35AM
Posted by: Brianf666
I tried all these suggestions in the hope that it might cure my track crashing problems on some of the newer tracks. All it did for me was make the game run like I was driving through treacle. e.g. Lap of silverstone took about 6 mins real time.
I use an Athlon XP2600+, 512 ram Radeon 9600 256 and Windows XPsp2 which I fear might be the problem. Seriously considering making a Win98 partition just for GP games.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: January 03, 2007 05:25PM
Posted by: Sapo
giallorosso_986 schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What resolution are you guys running the game at?
> I have a laptop with windows XP, P4 1.8, 500MB RAM
> and ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 .. and I must run GP3
> at 640x480 to have a smooth framerate, but
> graphics on almost the lowest settings. During
> races at certain tracks the PO will get over 200
> in the dry, particularly on external view.

Again very strange, i have about the same specs, but then a celeron 1.4 ghz, and i run in 1024x768 very smooth, with everything turned on highest. Try to configurate your gfx again...

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: January 04, 2007 02:40PM
Posted by: MarkWS
Prayerson -I have the same spec as you and find I can't run a race in the wet. Even when loading a game with rain chance 30 mins into session the CPU will be 160% in pit lane!!! The skies are fine with no rain yet this happens to the CPU. Most odd. I've tried all sorts, even re-installed the game. I've had to patch the *.md file and put rain chance to 0. Spoils the fun a bit!

Do you run 1024 * 768? I find this is what it defaults too!

Cheers.
Date: January 05, 2007 04:25AM
Posted by: plinio_666
I really can't understand... My PC spec is a Celeron 950MHz, with 128MB of RAM and a 32MB Ati Rage videocard... The only difference is that I play in 640x480 resolution and 21.3 fps... my PO is 70% average with 130% peaks when there are too many cars on screen.

My advice for you guys: play in 640x480, the impact on performance (at least in my PC) is huge...

serve our exploits
as models to all the earth...
Date: January 05, 2007 04:29AM
Yeah! I set GP3 to 1024 with all settings high.

GP3 runs ok in the dry at around 60% to 70% PO .Wet is ok in practice ,but race at the start is ok off the starting line ,but everything slows right down on the first corner.

Dry is the same ,but only alittle more fps.

Can depend on what videocard you have

My other system has a ATI 9800 XT 256mg MEM 3Gb P4
P4P800 mainboard 1.5Gb Ram running GP3 at 1024 seems to run ok in the wet.

So yeah I know GP3 should be running alot better than it should.

I have heard from some guys that they have had big increases when they turn off the vertial sync !!!!

I've been running GP3 for about 5 years now with different systems over the time and I've found that you just got to play around with the settings in your videocard.

I'm not sure if adding more ram would help speed up GP3 I know it can with other games though.
Date: January 05, 2007 03:08PM
The GP series is not about ur Videocard is more about ur processor.
If u have a very nice videocard and a very bad processor gp 3 or 4 wont run smooth.
If u have a Ok videocard but a High end processor gp3 or 4 runs much smoother.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy