GP3 Career Thread

Posted by Diax F1 
@ Racer#73: yes i know there is a value that seems to reduce the accidents like that weird turn 3 at Buenos Aires but unfortunately I haven't been able to prove its contrary :(
On the other side I had to abandon my Lauguna Seca project because the AI cars are totally idiots and keep flying into the back of the car in front causing massive pileup at the corkscrew. In that case i seem unable to prevent accidents :(

-------------------------------
I worked a lot with the command "some chance same chance", expecially on ovals, and what i noticed is that the command set how hard (or silly) the AI will be in closing the turn when you try to overtake them. If you reduce the value, they let you pass easily, if you increase it they close the door even if you are just beside them, and of course they crash with you. It doesn't seem that the value set the % of crashes in other cases (different kind of mistakes). In Gp3Edit you can set the value "ability range" and it seems that it affect the driving accuracy (and even mistakes).
Bye
quick Summary: 1993 F1 season

Race 3: Gp of Europe, Donington

Pre-Q:
Footwork and Lola out

Qualy:
1 Senna 1.11.811
2 Hill +0.005
3 Schumacher +0.026
4 Prost +0.242
8 Alesi +2.569

Race:
1 Prost 76 laps
2 Schumacher +4.631
3 Andretti +2 laps
4 Brundle +2 laps
5 Patrese +2 laps
6 Alesi +2 laps
7 Berger +2 laps

There were all the reasons to think about a dominance from Senna after the brilliant weekend but his suspension failed in his best moment while confortably leading. Same destiny for Hill which anyway has never been able to set a noticeable pace. Alesi was doing a great race finally supported by his car and was sitting on 3rd when a spin off at the Hairpin at lap 62 made him loose time. Tyres were at the end of their life and 1 lap later he repeated the error at the same turn. This time the off track caused the break of the front wing in a light contact on the barriers forcing him to pit to repair. At the end only 1 point.

Race 4: Gp of San Marino, Imola

Pre-Q:
Footwork and Lola out

Qualy:
1 Prost 1.32.987
2 Schumacher +0.199
3 Senna +1.093
4 Hill +1.108
6 Alesi +2.547

Race:
1 Senna 61 laps
2 Schumacher +53.636
3 Mark Blundell +1 lap
4 Martin Brundle +1 lap
5 Micheal Andretti +2 laps
6 Berger +2 laps
Alesi out (engine)

Many expectations for Ferrari in one of their homeraces but again the unconsistance of their car relegated both to a role of spectators. Senna and Prost battled for a long time to the extreme measures, so that Prost had to retire following a problem with a wheel after another of the many body to body brakings. Another quiet race for Hill, still a bit off the pace and again out with concerns at the transmission. Not a good moment for him. Anonymous race for both ferrarists, always far from the real action. Alesi had to quit after another engine failure and Berger got his first point of the season only because being at the right place in the right moment. Senna easily won showing a big strenght against his main opponents while Schumacher got another podium without any particular glory

Race 5: Gp of Spain, Montmelò

Pre-Q:
Footwork and Lola out

Qualy:
1 Prost 1.18.219
2 Hill +0.122
3 Schumacher +0.778
4 Senna +0.859
6Alesi +2.560

Race:
1 Prost 65 laps
2 Senna +21.617
3 Blundell +1 lap
4 Patrese +1 lap
5 Brundle +2 laps
6 Andretti +2 laps
9 Alesi +3 laps

The race started with a big jump by Hill which outbraked Senna at turn 1 and took the lead with a lighter car. Behind has been a three way battle with Senna trying again to block Prost and his heavy fueled car, while Schumacher followed the show from a safe distance. Very early the Benetton of the german driver faded off and the driver has been forced to retire leaving Alesi to follow the three main contenders. But the worst for the frencham of Ferrari was yet to come. Going down to Sabadel the red car shown a sudden reaction meaning something wasn't going fine and the driver has been good and lucky enough to hit the pit entrance before to pass it. The mechanics had so the chance to work on the car before anything worse could happen in the extra lap to pit but still this costed the driver 2 laps and possibly any good position in race. Alesi restarted the race with a car not in perfect conditions and in the last posiotion with an hard climbing to do. But the hard teased nerves for this other issue made him brake out of control trying to unlap from Barbazza on Minardi. The italian had to pit to replace the damaged nose while Alesi has been charged of a Stop&go for his nervous action. Even more down the field, at the end the best he could get was a 9th place caught only at the last 50 meters of the race when Boutsen hasn't been able to cross the line quickly by an engine explosion. Hill and Prost meantime pitted reversing the length of the stints and with a lighter car Prost has been able to recover the gap from the british teammate jumping him with no problem until Hill had to retire in the later sassions. Prost mastered the race with Senna saving his 2nd place without pushing anymore once settled in his position.

Race 6: Gp of Monaco, Montecarlo

Pre-Q:
Tyrrell and Lola out

Qualy:
1 Prost 1.20.808
2 Hill +0.485
3 Schumacher +1.355
4 Alesi +1.471
10 Senna +3.490

Race:
1 Prost 78 laps
2 Hill +29.633
3 Schumacher +50.908
4 Senna +1.00.551
5 Alesi +1.06.180
6 Andretti +2 laps

As well known, qualifying was vital for this track and there were not other pretenders to the front row than the two Williams. Senna incredibly ruined his race sitting in 10th place after a very messed qualifying session always in the middle of the traffic. At start the two Williams saved their position as expected with Schumacher and Alesi behind them to make a very though quartet. Also to spice up the race even more it started to rain after 3 laps. Drivers went around the track til the grip helped them to stay on the safe line but then it was time to pit and change tyres. As expected backmaker were going to define the destiny of the 4 contenders. If Prost has been lucky to jump the first slow cars, not so lucky have been Schumacher, Alesi and Hill which in the pitting procedure lost two places. Trying to pass a slower car Alesi surpised the german taking his position. But the same mistake few laps later allowed Michael to return him the favor in the same way. Race went on now under an insistent rain between an hard brake and a Minardi in the middle of the track. Top drivers may have thought there were 8 Minardis on track for how many times they have been lapped. Really bad race for Fittipaldi as well. Another slow car and another lack of concentratrion made Hill pass Schumacher, which seemed too cautious even though some favourite weather conditions. Half race done when the rain ended. Track started to drier and the first cars pitted to set back slicks. Ferrari got the best in the first chance when anticipating the stop made Alesi passed the main rivals but in this case delaying the pit has not payed at all, and the driver fell again in 4th position with Hill coming out the pits in 2nd place again. Alesi wasted another chance to sit on the podium but also risked to loose the points when a violent action by Schumacher to pass again a Minardi made Alesi crash into his back breaking the front wing. Was necessary a pitstop and these seconds lost to repair the nose allowed Senna to gain the position on him. The rythm calmed down in the last laps with Prost crossing the line almost at the limit of the 2 hours followed by his teammate in a clean 1-2. Some suspance after the race as the stewards decided to investigate on the manouvre which caused the accident between Schumacher and Alesi. No further actions have been taken leaving Ferrari in a big disappointment expecially after the severe punishemt Alesi received at Barcelona.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2009 04:13PM by R_Scandura.
@Roberto: very very nice! :-o
I see you began to find yourself in the top 6 on quite a regular basis. Pretty good :)

Great reading Roberto ;-) Very exciting season you're having.

Cheers. I'm looking forward to read about the next races. Good luck.
Round 4 - Pau, France

Race 1 - Mhm...I'm unable to recall the progress of the race as I started it ages ago and I managed to finish it a couple of minutes ago. I will give only the facts.
So, I dominated the qualifying session leaving two Chevrolets behind. After them, there were four SEATs including Y. Muller, Tarquini, Rydell and Gene. In the race, I managed to keep position and kept making a huge margin. It was one of those flawless races in which nothing happens (nothing like hitting the safety car as Engstler did in this year's Pau race. :) )
All in all, I won again and increased the lead in the championship. Actually, the only change was a position swap between Huff and Larini.

The winner - Porteiro, 2nd - Huff, 3rd - Larini

Race 2 - I started from 8th position hoping to pass the rivals as I felt really comfortable at this circuit. I kept pushing which resulted in being head to head with Gene who started from pole position. Suddenly he turned to the left closing the door. I didn't react in time and hit him in the side of the car. Then I got hit by Monteiro, hit the barriers and retired from the race due to the wheel loss. From now on, the battle included the Chevrolet drivers as well as SEAT drivers. All in all Rydell brought it all home and won the race. The rest of the podium was unchanged when compared to Race 1

The winner - Rydell, 2nd - Huff, 3rd - Larini

Round 5 - Brno, Czech Republic

Race 1 - Yes, it's another dull race in which I didn't have to push hard to get the best of the machine. I dominated the qualifiers in front of Gene and Priaulx who hasn't been in the top three for long time. Of course, the race start was nothing but the last time the rivals could see my rear. My advantage was rising lap after lap until it rached 7 seconds over Gene in lap 6. Then Gene had some minor problems which, anyway, led to his dropping a few positions. As a result, Yvan Muller took 2nd place whiel Priaulx kept third place. Shapovalov had an oil leak while Zanardi and Coronel hit the barriers which led to their retirements. I' mstarting to fell sick of winning :) Just like in F-1 1979 season where I won a couple of races in a row.

The winner - Porteiro, 2nd - Y. Muller, 3rd - Priaulx

Race 2 - To describe this race I actually should copy/paste the previous race report. The poel was for Tiago Monteiro but unfortunately he didn't keep position which I hoped for. He is the unquestioned leader of the private drivers' standings and really deserves to win. he got quickly passed by Larini and Gene. Meanwhile I managed to take leadership and, of course, pulled away. Jorg Muller couldn't find the right pace and lost his 3rd starting position. All in all, I won again. It's another podium for Larini who has recently had a good streak.

The winner - Porteiro, 2nd - Larini, 3rd - Gene

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2009 05:59PM by abdelkader.
Round 6 - Estoril, Portugal

Race 1 - I entered the qualifying asession with anxiety. Estoril is one of the tracks which I never know what to expect from. Luckily the weather was fine but I had to struggle to make up for centrifugal force at the first turns. All in all, I came 6th and knew that it'll be hard to pass the rivals from this position. Pole position for Yvan Muller in front of Priaulx and Gene. To my surprise, the start of the race was an easy one and I quickly managed to take the lead, however it wasn't safe at all as I had Y. Muller and Andy Priaulx both in my rear view mirror. At the end of lap 1 Y. Muller was so close that he tried to pass me whiel I was closing the door. He smashed me in the rear and spun off. I had to fight my car to keep him on track but luckily I won this battle. Now I had Priaulx and Larini behind me. The latter made another great start passing Gene and taking third position. I must have felt a little bit too confident as in lap 6 I was pushing too hard while being at the exit of turn 2 and I went slightly wide which was instantly used by Priaulx who passed me easily. Larini also tried to do the same but I had already got back on the track and he had to deccelerate extensively to avoid collision. Priaulx kept pulling away so that in lap 8 he was 1.7 sec ahead but then he suddenly started losing his pace and I was head to head with him in lap 10. In lap 11 I managed to regain ledership which I brought home. The race was another great effort by Larini who came third as well as Rob Huff who was right behind his teammate. What a race :)

The winner - Porteiro, 2nd - Priaulx, 3rd - Larini

Race 2 - This time I was even more anxious as I had Priaulx and SEATs in front of me. To my surprise, I had no problems passing them at the start. Once again this season I took the lead and had Gene and Monteiro behind. They both kept swapping position. Meanwhile in lap 6 Larini retired due to oil leak. To my surprise, Jorg Muller who finished the race in 10th position set the fastest lap of the race. All in all, I won the race in front of tow SEATs.

The winner - Porteiro, 2nd - Gene, 3rd - Monteiro

As the season is just halfway, this is the table

Drivers' Championship:
1. Porteiro 105
2. Huff 45
3. Rydell 41
4. Monteiro *** 40
5. Priaulx 39
6. Larini 39
7. Tarquini 38
8. Y. Muller 37
9. Menu 31
10. Gene 24
11. J. Muller 4
12. D'Aste *** 2
13. Thompson 1
14. Tielemans *** 1

*** - a private driver

Constructors' Championship
1. SEAT Sport 140
2. BMW Team Italy-Spain 105
3. Chevrolet-Lacetti 84
4. SUNRED-SEAT *** 40
5. BMW Team UK 39
6. NTech/Golden-Honda 32
7. BMW Team Germany 25
8. Proteam Motorsport*** 2
9. Wiechers-BMW*** 1

*** - a private team

Russian Bear-Lada team and its drivers are the only who remain scoreless.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 11:08AM by abdelkader.
Re: Career - 1991 onwards (whenever I feel like retiring)
Date: December 17, 2009 12:13PM
Posted by: Rico
This WTCC championship seems to easy for ya mate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If in doubt, Flat out."
Date: December 17, 2009 01:27PM
Posted by: Jackal
About time to give an update on my season as well. Had little time to play lately, but every now and then I did so I'm halfway through now. I think last thing I wrote was my retirement in Donington feature which presented me with the task to start sprint from 18th. It was one of my better races, as with some retirements and some overtaking manouvers I made it up to 8th in the end, which was not enough for points though.

Next came Vila do Conde, a tricky track even in the dry but this time both races were held in awful conditions. Race One saw a great four-way battle between both Prodrive cars, Hülkenberg and myself. I had a mechanical failure after 20 laps unfortunately which eliminated me from the fight, a fight won eventually by Parente in his home race ahead of his team-mate Sato. The sprint was difficult again, changing weather conditions meant it was a gamble. From back where I was, I decided to start on wets although the track was still dry, but rain was predicted early on. Everyone else was on Slicks, so when the rain came I was the only one who stayed out and was suddenly in the lead. Towards the end, my tyres were really gone and I had my hands full defending from Bourdais and di Grassi, but I won the sprint.

On to St Etienne, where I messed up qualy to start from 13th. I couldn't progress further than 11th in race one, which was won by Mortara, but in the second race I got a good start and was running 8th early on. One more place I gained by overtaking de la Rosa, before Maldonado and Hülkenberg collided when fighting for P1. Thus, I finished 5th unexpectedly, two points which may prove valuable later this season because the top of the standings are still close:

Montagny 40
Hülkenberg 40
Maldonado 37
J. 32

Next up is Mugello, I reckon I should take some points there because usually I'm not too bad. Will have to do some experimenting before I can continue though, because as of now the balance is not correct (I'm too quick compared to the CC cars). That sucks anyway, all the testing before you get a proper challenge that is tough but not impossible.
Round 7 - Brands Hatch, Great Britain

Race 1 - Brands Hatch - the race in which I take failures for granted. I have never had a good day at Brands Hatch. It was the case this time, too. It all started in the qualifiers in which I came 12th and knew that there was nothing positive awaiting me in the race. P1 for Tarquini, 2nd for Huff and 3rd place for Y. Muller. However , I managed to make a very quick start and took the lead (!!!). I covered two laps in the lead but in lap 3, Rob Huff was trying to pass me. He was doing this in such harsh way that he made me spin off the track. My car landed with the wheels on the top and the race was done for me. Rob Huff wasn't intact in this incident and he lost his 2nd position. He finished the race in 9th. First two places were taken by SEAT drivers which increased the lead in the Constructors' Championship.

To make things more real I decided not to take part in Race 2 due to the injuries and severe damages of the car.

The winner - Tarquini, 2nd - Y. Muller, 3rd - Priaulx

Race 2 - I didn't participate the race so I will present the bare facts. Jorg Muller started from P1 having Monteiro and Rydell behind. Monteiro must have had some problems because he lost his great position to end up in 4th. Finally, we can see Farfus on podium after a long break. Tarquini and Y. Muller gained places and finished in 5th and 6th.

The winner - J. Muller, 2nd - Rydell, 3rd - Farfus

Round 8 - Oschersleben, Germany

Race 1 - It was my first start here in Oschersleben. I didn't manage to cover one clean lap as I kept losing grip. As a result I ended up in 22nd - the worst this season. P1 for Priaulx, 2nd for Y. Muller and third place for Huff. At the start I managed to pass a few drivers but I didn't deccelerate on time to avoid collision with D'Aste. I rammed into his back which made both of us retire from the race. It's another race in which I didn't score any points. Luckily, the outstanding performance from the first part of the season makes me sleep fine despite those misfortunes during two last weekends.

The winner - Y. Muller, 2nd - Huff, 3rd - Tarquini

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 03:42PM by abdelkader.
quick Summary: 1993 F1 season

Race 7: Gp of Canada, Montreal

Pre-Q:
Footwork and Lola out

Qualy:
1 Prost 1.18.995
2 Hill +0.202
3 Senna +0.390
4 Schumacher +0.470
12 Alesi +2.747

Race:
1 Prost 69 laps
2 Hill +6.683
3 Senna +8.284
4 Schumacher +42.672
5 Berger +1 lap
6 Andretti +2 laps
out Alesi engine

Very few to report for this race. Despite 3 cars finishing inside 10 seconds, the race never been open to any surprise with both Williams always leading the group even though opposite strategies. Only at the end Senna seemed to close the gap but it was more the leader to save the tyres after the stint. On Ferrari side Alesi never felt to be in good shape. After a bad qualifying tried to make his way to better positions until his engine collapsed again. Luckily Berger got some points for the italian team

Race 8: Gp of France, Magny Cours

Pre-Q:
Tyrrell and Lola out

Qualy:
1 Senna 1.14.853
2 Prost +0.023
3 Schumacher +0.028
4 Hill +0.334
5 Alesi +1.765

Race:
1 Hill 71 laps
2 Schumacher +12.178
3 Brundle +54.255
4 Andretti +1 lap
5 Patrese +1 lap
6 Alesi +2 laps

Predictions said it was going to be a great race for french drivers. Also Ferrari finally brought some good updates to try to give an end to those frequent engine problems. The qualifying has been for sure one of the best seen in recent times. Three drivers constantly lapping at their extreme force to lead the field after every attempt. At the end Senna got the last chance climbing the grid with a very minimal gap on Prost an Schumacher. Expectations for the race were high after such saturday and indeed emotions didn't miss to come. After the lights went off Prost had a lucky jump from the starting slot passing Senna and running away. Senna tried to keep the pace knowing he was running heavier than the french but he asked too much to his car and at lap 12 ran wide in the long Estoril turn closing his race drowning in the sand trap. Race went on with top drivers trying to chase the flying Williams with Alesi able to keep the third place on Schumacher which didn't had a good start by the quantity of fuel carried aboard. At lap 16 an uncomprehansion between Alesi and Herbert during the lapping manouvre caused an accident at the last turn seeding the Curve du Lycee with debris. Herbert did surely a bad mistake trying something very difficult in the wrong place. Both slowly came to pit losing time and places. But the consequences of that accident have been guilty understimated by the race control. At the next passage on the flagged area Berger and few seconds later Prost got a puncture by hitting the debris remained on the surface. Both had to retire being unable to complete another lap to reach the pit. Hill inherited the lead followed by a cautious Schumacher. At lap 30 an electrical problem slowed Alesi who tried to reach the pits very slower. Other time lost proving again his patience for an unreliable car. At lap 38 another collision involved Alesi. This time it was Boutsen who lost the control of the car after being passed from the outside by the frenchman at the Adelaide hairpin while fighting fot P8. Front wing damaged again and another pit to complete the bad day. In all this Alliot was going to give the crowd the satisfaction of an homeracer ending with points but at lap 68 he had to surrender to the engine of his Larousse while sitting in 5th position. In the end the podium taken by the french Ligier with Brundle has been the only reason to be happy.

Race 9: Gp of Great Britain, Silverstone

Pre-Q:
Lotus and Lola out
Martini replaced Barbazza at Minardi

Qualy:
1 Schumacher 1.14.853
2 Senna +0.348
3 Prost +0.367
4 Hill +0.683
6 Berger +2.881
8 Alesi +2.955

Race:
1 Senna 59 laps
2 Schumacher +52.561
3 Brundle +1 lap
4 Blundell +1 lap
5 Alesi +1 lap
6 Andretti +1 lap

Aproaching the british race, the most active have been Ferrari and Benetton. Schumacher received the second massive upgrade in two races to maximize the qualifying while Ferrari presented another set of updates to try to finally do that step to finalize the good performances. But the first shock for the biritish fans has been Lotus missing to get the pass for the qualyfing session under an heavy rain. As expected and widely predicted by Braitore Schumacher literally flyed during the qualifying, setting a pace unachievable for everyone included the two Williams, called to give a show in their homeland but surprisingly under preassure. Who got a benefit of this situation has been Senna who sat in front row with the german but with better expectation for the race than him. The opening lap has been particularily animated with Prost taking the lead on Senna, Hill, Schumacher and the two Ferrari. Prost was trying to capitalize his aggressive strategy collecting 15 seconds in 10 laps but at lap 12 by a driving error lost almost all the advantage saving only 2 seconds on the closest followers. Hill completed his anonymous race causing an accident trying to overlap a slow car involving Schumacher who meantime was chasing him. The german saved his race only with a time loss while Damon had to retire. Few laps later Berger ran off track after his brakes stopped to work properly ending his race in the fences of the Brookland. Few more laps and Alesi suffered another electrical problem when was sitting on podium and preparing for his pitstop. Slowly came to pit and this time he shown all his irritation to the team managers sitting discouraged on the pitwall. At the end only a 5th place which felt more a bitter end than else. Senna on his way, dominated the race without any problem with Schumacher collecting aother lucky podium after his concerns earlier in the race. At the end there wast still a lot to celebrate for the british fans with Brundle and Blundell confirming the great shape and reliabity of their Ligier. A special mention goes to Footwork. Luckily got to enter the grid by weather freak, they have been a disgrace on wheels. An entire race travelling in parade one behind the other, it was an hazzard for everyone everytime they had to be overlapped.

it's crazy how despite the many upgrades Ferrari is still picked as hell by badluck and both drivers as well :(

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 05:01PM by R_Scandura.
R_Scandura Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it's crazy how despite the many upgrades Ferrari
> is still picked as hell by badluck and both
> drivers as well :(

Yup. Those early 90s carsets must have some special string which triggers failures for Ferrari. I raced in 1994 and 1995 and Ferrari also wasn't the luckiest team on the grid at all.

Race 2 - I started race 2 of Oschersleben from 21st position and only hoped to end up in some reasonably high place. I quickly managed to get into top ten of the race. Then I got stuck after all the SEATs, Menu, Farfus and Larini. When I was trying to pass Rydell in the battle for 7th position I made a mistake. As a result I hit Rydell who bounced off which made us both spin off the track. The crash was a real carnage as, directly due to that accident, Thompson and Zanardi who were going behind had to retire as well, as they didn't manage to hit the brakes in time.
It's the four consecutive scoreless race for me and I'm starting to be concerned about the outcome of the championship. Luckily the next in line is Imola - my favourite venue. I hope to win some race there.

The winner - Menum, 2nd - Y. Muller, 3rd - Farfus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2009 02:38PM by abdelkader.
Round 9 - Imola, Italy

Race 1 - Here I am, in Imola. At this venue, only the victory is the thing I fight for. I totally dominated the qualifying session and took P1. Second place for Gene while third for Priaulx. I made a good start pulling away from the very beginning. Actually nothing was going on in this race. The proof of this statement may be found in the final standings as the top three drivers retained their positions from the qualifyings.

The winner - Porteiro, 2nd - Gene, 3rd - Priaulx

Race 2 - At the very start I managed to pass the rivals and took the lead. I had Farfus and Monteiro behind. I made another great victory at Imola. Once again, the race was rather dull without much passing or racing incidents. The top five didn't change when compared to the starting grid. Traditionally, Jaap van Lagen didn't finish the race.

The winner - Porteiro, 2nd - Farfus, 3rd - Monteiro

I can't wait for the end of this season. I feel so powerful that the races have become boring. I think I need to get back to open wheelers next season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2009 04:00PM by abdelkader.
Hi!

I've done a couple of rounds in the past weeks but the story is the same old thing. Can't find any speed and finish a race is starting to be such an hard thing to do.

In the three last races I started failed to finish all of them. At Alastaro I only lasted 32 of the 102 laps scheduled when I crashed at the entrance of the front straight. In the first race I did at Taupo, my car didn't wait for me to crash and on lap 3 the engine overheated and I ended the race earlier, like the usual. At least this time the car was in one piece (apart from the radiator) On race 2 the old me came back I ended my race in the wall on lap 15 of 44.

Now, the next round is at Sakhir. The last time I raced there I dominated the weekend until my suspension broke. So, this could be a place where I can have a break from bad luck. But every time I think that this is where I can perform well I end up in disgrace:(

As far standings are concerned the defending champion came out of the first trip to Taupo telling why he is number 1 with a win and a 11 points lead in the championship. And his team, Acura, with a 1-2 finish in Taupo's 2nd race earned enough points to clinch a stop on next year's roster. These 16 points also allowed Acura to tie Lola MasterCard in the Teams' standings lead.

Cheers.
I hope you're gonna patch things up, soon. I had hard time in F-1 1986 so I know what you're getting through. Good luck.

Date: December 21, 2009 02:21PM
Posted by: Jackal
Another short update on my season... holidays started but no-one else was around this weekend, so ended up playing quite a lot. Going home on Wednesday though, so unless I finish the season tonight or tomorrow it'll have to wait until 2010 ;-)

Mugello: As expected, I was right with the top guys. Race one saw Doornbos and Piquet battle for the lead all the way, in the end the Dutchman won by 2 seconds. Behind them was a rather large gap, 8 seconds in the end, to where I was fighting Bourdais and di Grassi. The latter eventually retired while I finally managed to pull away from Bourdais a couple of laps from home to finish third. Race two I had to start from 6th, but I got a quick start and was fourth, then passed Bourdais on lap 3. From then on, it was a three-way battle for the lead with Montagny and Wheldon until the Frenchman's suspension collapsed. I could have surely tried to attack Wheldon, but I didn't want to risk the team's first 1-2 finish, so I followed him closely. Still, those points were enough to get me back in the lead.

Oschersleben: Usually a great venue for me, plus it being my home race, I was especially disappointed with my qualy as I only started 11th. Worse yet, a break failure at the end of the main straight had me crash hard into the barriers - DNF in race 1 and a poor grid spot for race 2 meant I would leave Oschersleben pointless. The race was won by Mortara, with Piquet again finishing second and closing in on the top four in the points. Race 2 was won by Liuzzi, who made full use of the reversed grid rule.

Krasnodar: On to another one of famous track designer Scandura's creations. I hadn't quite settled into a rhythm for qualy, ending up on row 6, but picked up speed just in time for Race 1. Montagny beat Piquet for the win on strategy while di Grassi finished a lonely third. Behind him, Bourdais had been running fourth for most of the race but with five laps from home I had finally made my way right onto his heels. I should have just stayed there and take the 4 points for fifth, but instead I made a stupid mistake by trying to outbrake him into Turn 1. It ended in disaster: no points for either one of us, plus me having to start the sprint from last place as a penalty. Thus I never even got close to points while my team-mate Wheldon took his second sprint win of the season.

Istanbul Park: Qualy was good, I knew that from 6th a podium was well in reach. And it was just that, as I finished third behind Montagny and Wheldon. Also I knew, just like at Mugello, starting the sprint from 6th I could maybe try to get another podium. That was some hard work, as I was running fourth for most of the time being unable to pass Mortara. When I finally did, there were only two laps to go and Bourdais was 1.5 seconds ahead in second. However, he ran off track at the last corner of the penultimate lap, so I managed to pick up another position and with it, another point. The result would have been really awesome - had the winner not been Pastor Maldonado, the points leader.

Now the standings before the final round at Cairo are:

Maldonado 61
J. 54
Montagny 54
Hülkenberg 53
Piquet 46

All others do not have a mathematical chance of taking the title any more, and Piquet needs all sorts of things happening as well. But still, it could very well be an interesting last round, unless of course Maldonado storms off for an easy win. I'll sure keep you posted about the final result...
It's going to be the real "final showdown" :)

Round 10 - Monza, Italy

Race 1 - I'm having a long Italian weekend. After two wins at Imola I hoped to do similar thing at Monza as I have always felt comfortable here. However I was only 12th in the qualifyings which were won by Tarquini in front of Huff and Farfus. What is more, some 30 minutes before the race rain started pouring down on the track and when the lights turned gree the tarmac was already soaking wet. I managed to pass Priaulx, Y. Muller and Monteiro but then Coronel who started from behind me, made me run wide. As a result I seriously damaged the suspension and had to retire. I hope to perform better in race 2.

The winner - Huff, 2nd - Menu, 3rd - Tarquini

Race 2 - I started from the very last position on the grid but this time the race was sunny so I hoped to make a quick start, pass a couple of backmarkers and then fight for position which would give me any points. Indeed, I soon passed the rivals and got stuck in 5th place in lap 4. In front of me , there were Coronel who didn't keep his pole position and Rydell. They were both fighting head to head. Behind me there were Tarquini, Huff and Menu. I was 1 second in front of them while the same amount of time behind Rydell and Coronel. Suddenly in lap 6, Coronel lost his temper and while attacking Rydell he knocked him off the track and lost grip himself. Thanks to this incident I gained two positions and found myself in third place. The race leader Andy Priaulx and Tiago Monteiro were already well ahead of me and I gave up on the idea of fighting for 2nd or 1st place. Due to the Rydell-Coronel incident I had to deccelerate rapidly to avoid collision with them thanks to which Tarquini decreased his gap and was now right on my back. From lap 6 until the end of the race I had to keep my eyes on the rear view mirror. Indeed, Tarquini made a couple of dramatic attempts to pass me. He even succeeded in it in lap 7 but I luckily managed to regain position in the very same lap. His last try to pass me took place on start/finish line while entering the final lap but I closed the gate and remained third. In the final lap Tarquini must have lost his will to pass me as he slowed down so that I couldn't see him in the mirrors. I passed the line to earn the place on the podium. I suppose it was the most exciting race of this season.

The winner - Priaulx, 2nd - Monteiro, 3rd - Porteiro

Meanwhile, it turned out that I've become the WTCC champion. The chance for second place is still in hands of Tarquini, Priaulx, Y. Muller and Rob Huff. Now we're going to Asia but luckily I will be not so much concerned with my performance, although I'll try to do my best. Especially, at Macau circuit which I admire.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2009 04:11PM by abdelkader.
Round 11 - Okayama, Japan

Race 1 - The track in Okayama was threatening the drivers with heavy navy blue clouds hanging on the skies. Luckily, not a single drop of water fell on the tarmac during the qualifying session. I set the fastest lap and was waiting for the rivals. Finally, in his last try, Rob Huff outperformed my time and took pole position. The race was not different from the qualifying session. Heavy clouds over the circuit seemed to be about to burst in the form of torrential rain. Luckily, also this time the weather was merciful to the race participants. I quickly passed Huff and started pulling away. Huff must have felt spellbound as he let Rydell pass him a short moment after my attempt. The situation didn't last long as in lap 3 Rydell crashed out letting Huff get back to 2nd position. In fact, it's everything when it comes to most interesting events during race 1. I kept my position until finish and won the race.

The winner - Porteiro, 2nd - Huff, 3rd - Priaulx

Race 2 - Unfortunately, this time the weather wasn't that good for the drivers. Before the race, heavy rain fell on the tarmac and at the start it was all wet and slippery. I passed the rivals and took 1st position. When it was raining I was well in the lead but when it stopped I started losing pace observing how the other drivers including Tarquini and Priaulx taking the fastest laps. Luckily, in the middle of the race it started raining again and my wet tyres started working fine one more time. I got another victory in this season finishing around 26 seconds ahead of Tarquini.

The winner - Porteiro, 2nd - Tarquini, 3rd - Huff

Round 12 - Guia, Macau

Race 1 - I had to make a couple of practice laps to get accustome dto the tightness of the track. It seemed to have helped me a lot as I managed to take pole position, only 0.1 ahead of Tarquini. At the start I started making margin but Tarquini was right behind willing to earn as many points as possible to clinch 2nd place in the championship. In lap 3, however, he crashed out buring his chances to put another amount of points into the bag. Now it was Yvan Muller who was 2nd. I kept extending my lead but not too much as Y. Muller was just 3 seconds behind. Priaulx who was driving in 6th position suffered from suspension failure and retired from the race. It was another of the candidates for 2nd place in the champs. Next in line was Menu who got a water leak and had to pit and wouldn't rejoin the race anymore. After Menu, it was Larini who lost control of his Chevrolet and ended the race on the wall. Unfortunately, after Larini, it was me who crashed out. It was a stupid mistake as I missed the braking point in front of the pit-lane entrance, went wide into the right hander and scratched the barrier losing one wheel. Rob Huff had some problems with his car and had to pit but it cost him great 2nd place. Eventually, he came 15th.

The winner - Y. Muller, 2nd - Farfus, 3rd - Rydell

Race 2 - I started from 17th position but unexpectedly was the leader at the end of lap 1. The rivals were so slow that I managed to pass them even at such tight track as Macau. Tielemans was going second, Gene third. I pulled away and didn't look back. This time I kept the leadership to the finish and won the race. Tarquini crashed out and now had to rely on other rivals and hope for their misfortune. The second part of the race was a whacky one as the drivers shuffled a lot. All in all I brought the victory home...A nice way to finish the season.

This way WTCC 2008 season is over. Here are the standings:

Drivers' Championship:
1. Porteiro 161
2. Tarquini 89
= Y.Muller 89
4. Huff 85
5. Monteiro 84 ***
6. Priaulx 75
7. Rydell 71
8. Larini 65
9. Farfus 63
10. Menu 59
11. Gene 45
12. J. Muller 29
13. Coronel 10 ***
14. Tielemans 4 ***
15. Poulsen 4
16. D'Aste 2 ***
17. Thompson 1

*** - independent driver

Constructors' Championship:

1. BMW 332
2. SEAT 294
3. Chevrolet 150
4. Honda 60

Tiago Monteiro won the Independent Drivers' Championship while the best independent team was SUNRED- SEAT

And here are the awards:

I won most of them...including Public Menace and the Most Unreliable Driver... Doh! Not again! ;)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2009 08:31PM by abdelkader.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy