GP3 Career Thread

Posted by Diax F1 
Of all mechanical failures, the best you can have is a loose wheel ;)

Bring back the racing
OK, you've convinced me to start doing this in either GP3 or GP4. I'm so there. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

10th race - Hungaroring, Hungary. Qualy ended with me taking the pole position in a good style. I knew that the tomorrow's race would be good for me. Schumacher 2nd, Senna 3rd, Hill 4th. I kept the leadership up until the pit-stops around 24 lap. Schumacher refuelled the car first while I decided to prolongue my pit-stop and waited until I almost run out of fuel. When I left the pit-lane I was 2nd, Schumacher 10 sec in front, Hill 18 seconds behind. Senna retired right before the pit-stops and didn't enter the battle for victory. I tried to tighten the margin and was successful in it but all the #%#&*(&*!@ backmarkers did their job and after another 20 laps I was still 10 seconds behind Schumacher. Fortunately, my advantage over Hill has increased to nearly 50 seconds and I knew that my 2nd place was more or less secure and now I could only fight for something more. Meanwhile I lapped all the backmarkers several times, the record holder is Pedro Lamy whom I lapped (!) 6 times. Actually, only me, Michael and Damon were still in the game after the second round of pit-stops which changed nothing, neither in terms of advantage nor in positions. I crossed the finish line 9 seconds after Schumacher and over 1 minute before Hill.
Maybe I should have pitted right after Schumacher in the first round of pit-stops. Then I wouldn't have risked deterioration of my tyres and might have tightened the margin more significantly...God only knows what might have been.
Only 7 drivers managed to finish the race.

The winner - Schumacher, 2nd - me, 3rd - Hill. Worth mentioning is the fact that Blundell came 4th (18th in the qualy) while 5th and 6th were both Ligiers, respectively Panis (20th in qualy) and Bernard (21st in qualy). 7th place for Lamy (22nd in qualy) who, I have no idea how, finished the race.
It was one of the most...hmmm...strange, freak races I took part in.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2008 02:29AM by abdelkader.
11th race - Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium. This is the kind of a race that you know you are not competitive in even before first practice session and nothing is working fine from the very beginning. I qualified 21st and did not expect much. Frankly, I hoped for some retirements to gain positions. Pole position for Hill, 2nd for Senna and 3rd for Berger.The race day was wet. I chose hard wets and went for it. During the start I hit Panis' rear and lost my front wing. One momoent later Schumacher retired from the race after an accident. I went to the pits where I changed the strategy. Following the advice given to me here, in this thread, I went for 3 pit-stops. I was tightening the gap between me and Brundle who was 10 seconds in front. Luckily he suffered from transmission failure right in front of Eau Rouge and I could overtake him easily. I went on chasing the others. I caught Morbidelli but he didn't want to give his position for nothing - we were head to head at Eau Rouge but he hit me and I had a massive spin hitting the railing...but was intact and continued the race. When I finally could see the rivals in front of my car, my hard wets started to deteriorate drastically. I couldn't keep the pace and was constantly getting off the track in every corner. I decided to retire after 10 laps. The race went on with both Williams' drivers in front. Senna was in the lead keeping Hill behind, Berger was chasing them both. 4 laps from the flag everything started to collapse. First, Senna crashed out and Damon Hill took the lead...up until he crashed out, too. Now Berger was in the lead having Hakkinen and Alesi behind. 2 laps from the finish Berger suffered from oil leak and retired.
It was another race in which both 'retirement' and 'mechanical failure' were the key words. Only 6 drivers finished the race. The cheering up thing is that David Brabham finished 5th and claimed 2 points for Simtek.

The winner - Hakkinen, 2nd - Alesi, 3rd - Barrichello (and his first points this season).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2008 06:47PM by abdelkader.
Oh well, seems like you haven't lost any points to the championship leaders :)

Bring back the racing
I haven't, indeed :) ...but I think it will change at Monza. I am currently racing in Italy but paused the race and the results are not known yet. Tomorrow I should have finished the race the results of which I will post here, as usually.

<<<EDIT>>>

O.K. Here's the result

12th race - Monza, Italy. I qualified 13th and knew that I had to compensate for lack of BHP on this track. To do this, I opted for two-stop strategy. The pole position for Schumacher, 2nd for Hill, 3rd for Senna. The strategy I chose paid off well during the start of the race. I managed to climb up to 4th. Schumacher was in the lead but just fractions of a second faster than Hill. Senna was a bit slower but managed to stay 3rd. All the grid chose to go for one-stop strategy so when I was entering the pit-lane I knew pretty well that my 4th place would not be kept. Leaving the pit-lane I was 11th and quite light comparing to other cars. I managed to overtake some of the other drivers and regained my 4th place. Here I knew that there was another pit-stop awaiting and I'd lose my place again. When I left the pit-lane I nearly crashed into J.J. Lehto who was just passing by but I managed to keep position and didn't let him overtake me. Meanwhile I got lapped by the race leaders. I was 10th but then a few miracles had happened; the miracles I was hoping for deep in my heart. First, Berger's transmission issue then Schumacher crashed out. A few laps later Hill suffered from oil leak. I was going 7th and was asking my fate for another effort...and here it was - 3 laps from the flag Wendlinger who was 4th pitted when I was approaching Parabolica so I took his position easily and kept it until the very end. One point for 6th place isn't much but it cheers my heart as it was battled for throughout all the race distance and didn't come easy. Good effort was made by Alesi who claimed another podium. Also Herbert in his Lotus impressed me a lot. 4th place for Panis whom I'd never expect to make such great performance.

The winner - Senna, 2nd - Alesi, 3rd- Herbert

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2008 12:37PM by abdelkader.
13th race - Estoril, Portugal. I have never been superstitious but I think I'll change my mind after this race. I qualified 8th which wasn't so bad, though. The pole for Schumacher, 2nd - Senna, 3rd - Berger.
The real problems started on the race day. The race was going to be wet; with heavy clouds hanging over the circuit. All the grid chose soft wets and I chose intermediates. I also changed the strategy, from one-stop to two-stop one. And here is the nightmare. I started very badly dropping back to 14th place. When I was trying to climb back, I hit Morbidelli and had to pit to repair the front wing. Now I knew the race was nearly over for me. While being on the last corner of lap 1, I lost traction due to heavy rain and hit the barriers which resulted in losing the front right wheel. After this I got hit by Frentzen and lost the other front wheel...I didn't cover even one lap of the race. Anyway, Schumacher outperformed everyone as he led the race from start to finish. After the pit-stops Senna's suspension got damaged and he had to retire. Hill took his place. 12 laps from the flag Gerhard "Mr. Failure" Berger proved his nickname to be correct again. This time he suffered from suspension issue and also retired. My teammate - Brabham finished 5th again which gave us some points. That's all when it comes to positive aspects of this race.
The winner - Schumacher, 2nd - Hill, 3rd - Alesi (another podium, I start to admire this guy)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2008 08:31PM by abdelkader.
NOTE: If anyone asked me about my best race in GP3 ever I would probably recall the race I will describe now:

14th race - Jerez, Spain (GP of Europe). I took pole position being about two seconds faster than Senna, 3rd being Schumacher. I knew that it was going to be a great race for me...but not THAT great :)
In fact, from the very beginning I didn't pay much attention to what was going on behind me as I was setting the fastest laps one after another - there was no stopping me. I could gain about 0.8 - 1 second per lap. In lap 16 Senna got a suspension failure (again) and retired. Hill crashed out 7 laps later. Meanwhile I was about 50 seconds in front of Schumacher, still widening the gap. When I left the pit-lane after my first (intended to be the last) pit-stop I still was about 40 seconds ahead and could continue the race as a leader. I lapped all the drivers but Schumacher. 20 laps from finish I decided to pit again, only to change tyres as the ones I had were deteriorating and I didn't want to lose the race becasue of the wheels. When I got back to the race, I was about 55 seconds ahead. My next lap was the fastest one in the race. Some 2 laps before the flag Schumacher went to the pits and it was when I lapped him - AMAZING feeling. I crossed the line as a great winner. I don't think I ever had a better race.
The winner - me , 2nd - Schumacher, 3rd - Berger (finally his car didn't play up)

There are still two rounds to go and I think that with his retirement at Jerez Senna has buried his opportunity to tighten the gap between him and Schumi. Unexpectedly, I joined the race for title. Unfortunately, the remaining races are the ones I really hate. I am not good at Suzuka...and I have never been in the top 6 at Adelaide.

WDC: 1.Schumacher 64p, 2.Senna 56p, 3.Ratzenberger (me) 51p

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2008 11:14PM by abdelkader.
Nice season. But seriously, so many driving errors and mechanical failures for everyone? Unbelievable racing

Bring back the racing
Yeah. I am still wondering why all the top teams have had so many DNFs this season while my underdog - Simtek, has had only one failure (gearbox in France).

15th race - Suzuka, Japan. As I previously said, I'm not good at Suzuka. I qualified 14th and wanted to climb up during the race. The pole for Hill, 2nd Senna, 3rd Berger. At the start I managed to gain 5 positions but was soon stopped by Morbidelli who hit me in the back (it's not the first time I'm involved in an accident with Morbidelli) and I had to pit for the rear wing. While heading to the pit-lane I forgot that I lost the rear wing and lost traction in the rear axis, spun off and hit the barriers...the race was over for me. As for the results, Hill kept the pole position. Senna was going behind. Schumacher got 3rd after passing Berger. This order remained until the second pit-stop after which Schumacher crashed out. Soon afterwards Hill got a puncture and retired. At this stage Senna was the leader of the race and would have tightened the gap between him and Schumi...hadn't he crashed out, too. Berger (I stopped counting how many times already) got a suspension failure and retired as well. In this case, the race leader was J.J. Lehto (!) who eventually won the race. Worth mentioning is an impressive performance of Jordan drivers as they finished 2nd and 3rd.
The winner - Lehto, 2nd - Irvine, 3rd - Barrichello. 4th - Wendlinger

As for a huge quantity of failures and DNFs this season...only 4 drivers finished this race. Hadn't Brabham crashed out, he would have been 5th.

One race before the end, in the top three there has been status quo. Senna has still 8 points fewer than Schumi while I need 5 points to get equal with Senna.

As it comes to Constructors' Championship, Benetton-Ford has taken the lead. They are 7 points in front of Williams-Renault.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 09:51AM by abdelkader.
Hey abdelkader, how things went for you in Australia? Have you played it yet?

I hope I finish by friday my round at Campo Grande

BTW, where's the other people who also started to tell about their seasons? Jackal, how did your 1991 season end?

Cheers
I have started the race in fact but I paused it after lap 10. The next day I got ill and it took me three days to recover. Now I'm preparing for my school and have not much time to finish the race. However, I will surely have finished the season by the end of the next week. You know , the last race, it'd be a stupid thing to stop at this point and never finish it.
Good luck for you, too. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2008 10:56AM by abdelkader.
1991 season
Date: December 10, 2008 12:36PM
Posted by: Jackal
I just realised I have not posted the race reports from neither Monza nor Estoril, both of the races I had to do in a Jordan following being fired by Benetton.

In Monza, I did my best to qualify seventh and had a pretty uneventful race in just that position, gaining two places by a suspension failure for Schumacher and an engine failure for Berger. Then, however, my luck ended with another engine failure just after my first pit stop. At the top, Patrese won from Senna and Mansell and now enjoys quite a lead in the points. Alesi, Piquet and de Cesaris complete the points.

Estoril was a different story though. Not only was it by no means uneventful, it was also one of my better performances this season. I had qualified in 6th, again a very nice result for the Jordan, with main championship contenders Berger and Patrese on the front row. I had a very good pace and battled with the two Benettons throughout the race, a fight that eventually became a fight for 4th position as Mansell and Prost retired with technical issues. A few laps from the end, I had pulled away clearly from Piquet in 5th now, Berger was leading Senna and Patrese. However, Senna had only stopped once and his tyres were really down by now, so while Berger drove home a clear win, Patrese caught up with Senna but couldn't pass him. In fact, their battle cost both of them so much time that I managed to close in, but didn't have enough laps left to have a go at Patrese, who crossed the line in 3rd and just 0.7 seconds ahead of me. Still a very satisfying result for both Jordan and me, my third P4 of the season. What's even better though is that my old team's cars finished behind me in 5th and 6th...

After that, I simulated the Spanish and Japanese GPs as I did not have a drive, therefore I know only the results but not the history of the races: Patrese won from Mansell and the two McLarens in Spain, before Jean Alesi finally pulled off Ferrari's first victory for the season in Suzuka. Patrese finished second here, which means that because Berger did not finish Patrese crowned himself champion with one race to go. This one last race will be Adelaide, I will be in a Minardi and the conditions will, just like in 1991, be extreme to say the least...
Re: 1991 season
Date: December 10, 2008 02:15PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Awesome mate

Love the way you have even missed out races, to keep it 100% realistic as possible

I have a 1999 season I've been running for a while just finished Nurburgring, is a pretty exciting season

Shows just how different it could of been :)

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Re: 1991 season
Date: December 10, 2008 03:24PM
Posted by: antihero
Jackal schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just realised I have not posted the race reports
> from neither Monza nor Estoril, both of the races
> I had to do in a Jordan following being fired by
> Benetton.
>
> In Monza, I did my best to qualify seventh and had
> a pretty uneventful race in just that position,
> gaining two places by a suspension failure for
> Schumacher and an engine failure for Berger. Then,
> however, my luck ended with another engine failure
> just after my first pit stop. At the top, Patrese
> won from Senna and Mansell and now enjoys quite a
> lead in the points. Alesi, Piquet and de Cesaris
> complete the points.
>
> Estoril was a different story though. Not only was
> it by no means uneventful, it was also one of my
> better performances this season. I had qualified
> in 6th, again a very nice result for the Jordan,
> with main championship contenders Berger and
> Patrese on the front row. I had a very good pace
> and battled with the two Benettons throughout the
> race, a fight that eventually became a fight for
> 4th position as Mansell and Prost retired with
> technical issues. A few laps from the end, I had
> pulled away clearly from Piquet in 5th now, Berger
> was leading Senna and Patrese. However, Senna had
> only stopped once and his tyres were really down
> by now, so while Berger drove home a clear win,
> Patrese caught up with Senna but couldn't pass
> him. In fact, their battle cost both of them so
> much time that I managed to close in, but didn't
> have enough laps left to have a go at Patrese, who
> crossed the line in 3rd and just 0.7 seconds ahead
> of me. Still a very satisfying result for both
> Jordan and me, my third P4 of the season. What's
> even better though is that my old team's cars
> finished behind me in 5th and 6th...
>
> After that, I simulated the Spanish and Japanese
> GPs as I did not have a drive, therefore I know
> only the results but not the history of the races:
> Patrese won from Mansell and the two McLarens in
> Spain, before Jean Alesi finally pulled off
> Ferrari's first victory for the season in Suzuka.
> Patrese finished second here, which means that
> because Berger did not finish Patrese crowned
> himself champion with one race to go. This one
> last race will be Adelaide, I will be in a Minardi
> and the conditions will, just like in 1991, be
> extreme to say the least...

Lol, Mansell and Senna beaten by their no2 teammates ;)

Bring back the racing
abdelkader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now I'm preparing for my
> school and have not much time to finish the race.

I know what that means, i'm having also some busy moments at my college, the things to do never stop.

Jackal, nice job with in the Jordan, shame that Eddie didn't feel the same way. Coming from a supposedly better team, and get to run consistently in the top 6 around your former team, and eventually finishing a race ahead of both cars from that team. Eddie should have kept you for at least until the championship left Europe.

Well, good luck with Minardi in Australia.

As for me, I'm about to qualify for my races at Campo Grande. And things look to be tight as in Free Practice 2 the top 10 was separated by just only 0.111s.

Cheers. Keep telling your stories.
Round 7 at Campo Grande, Brazil:

The South American tour couldn't have started better for me. Two second place finishes which made me jump from 22nd to 9th in the points. By far the best weekend of the season. And for the first time the team that I'm driving managed to get enough points in order to be present in the next season.

After tight free practice sessions both qualifying sessions didn't disappoint and a close fight for the pole and the extra point was seen at the Brazilian track, especially for race one where the difference between the pole sitter and second place (me) was just of 0.005s.

Race 1: It was an uneventful 22 laps(75km) race. I finished where I started, in second place. After a couple o tiny tiny distractions, which are unforgivable in a such close series, I lost touch with the leader, who would eventually win the race by about 8 seconds, the #21 Lola MasterCard Peugeot, giving to this team their third win in a row.

Race 2: The 45 laps (150km) race was more interesting, because of the pitting factor. After a crowed qualifying session for me in a such short track I managed to qualify in 5th. In the start I almost spun my car but I managed to keep my car in control and only lost a couple of places, which i recovered due to some cars which started in front of me were heavier and wouldn't pit as I was. I even got to lead a couple of laps before pitting. I got back to the track in 8th, but with my fresh Michelins I got back to what I was doing earlier in the race, passing the cars who didn't pit and with that, and the misfortune of some cars I got into second place where I finished 28 secs behind the now championship leader, and this season third time winner, the #8 Childress Racing car.

The engineers got their homework done after that DNF nightmare at Bahrain, and instead of having three cars at the finish, it was only three Peugeot powered cars that didn't cross the finish line. And actually had two of their official teams clinching a place in the next season: Mine (Peugeot Sport Germany) and Peugeot WRC Team (the defending constructors champion)

Now, the caravan stays in Brazil, in Guaporé, for the first of two rounds in that track. Again another tight and short track. Let's see if Campo Grande wasn't just a fluke for me.

Cheers
16th race - Adelaide, Australia.
I qualified 15th and as I expected, it wasn't going to be an easy race. Pole position went to Schumacher, 2nd Berger, 3rd Lehto. Senna was 4th and to win the title he needed to win along with having Schumacher not higher than in 5th. The start of the race was unexpectedly good for me. I managed to pass 5 drivers and got stuck in 10th position. After my both pist-stops I was 9th as Berger retired (what a surprise). Meanwhile, Senna took the lead from Schumacher who dropped to third. Hill was second. 5 laps from finish Schumacher passed Hill and took 2nd place. I was lapped twice during this race which isn't the thing one can be proud of. All in all, this race was one of those races which bring nothing to the statistics but have to be taken part in.
The winner - Senna, 2nd - Schumacher, 3rd - Hill

Well, well, well - that's the end of the season. 16 full-length races done and I'm fed up with it :)

The championship (as in real life) went to Schumacher who was by 4 points better than Senna. 3rd position went to Ratzenberger. It's good to see myself on the podium :). My teammate - Brabham, was 8th in the final standings which is not a bad result at all.
As for Constructors' Championship, it reflects the Drivers' Championship: 1st - Benetton, 2nd - Williams, 3rd - Simtek.

However, Simtek was the worst performer with 13 retirements due to accidents (which I find unfair as being 3rd best team in F-1 isn't an easy-to-get-hands-down thing!!!). I got award for the best qualifying driver with 5 pole positions this season...as well as Public Menace Award for retiring 7 times :/

What are my strengths: I can stay coldblooded if need be and I'm fast on most of the circuits
What are my weaknesses: I have to work on driving on street racetracks. I also have to improve setting my car up for such races
What are my opportunities: If I get a better car, I'd be more competitive
What are my threats: I can't come up with any :)

Nice to have it finally done. I wish you all good luck with your seasons. I'm sure I will stay in this thread to have an eye on your progress. I hope you will be at least as high in the standings as me. :)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 06:13PM by abdelkader.
eheh at least cant complain for the Public Menace award. 7 non-mechanical retirements out of 16 races are worth the trophy. But nice season for the Simtek!

-------------------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy