GP3 Career Thread

Posted by Diax F1 
GP3 Career Thread
Date: December 10, 2006 11:47AM
Posted by: Diax F1
15th December 1990 - New driver for Tyrell
Ken Tyrell has announced to the press that rising star Dean Kittleson will be driving for his mid-grid race team. He also announced that Satoru Nakajima would be demoted to test driver because of this.

10th January 1991 - Honda provide more grunt to customers
Honda's chiefs have agreed with Ken Tyrell that they will provide more powerful engines than the ones that they had the previous year. Honda hope that they can use this as a way to improve their brand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 05:20PM by Diax F1.
Re: Career - 1991 onwards (whenever I feel like retiring)
Date: December 10, 2006 12:17PM
Posted by: Rico
Goood idea i felt like starting somehting like this aswell.
Good luck on your career. But why have you kept Andrea de Cesaris and gotten rid of Nakajima?
Because Nakajima is the guy which brought Honda engines to Tyrrell and there is no way that Honda would have stood for him being demoted to test driver.

And Honda needing to improve their brand in 1991? HONDA???
The serial winners of 1986,1987,1988,1989 and 1999....!!!
ehi nice topic. Good luck and let us know your adventures!

-------------------------------
Date: December 12, 2006 08:04PM
@Jacques26 - My carset has Stefano Modena as driver 2.

And I meant improve their brand as an engine supplier worth buying engines from.
1991 - Race 1 of 16
Date: December 16, 2006 02:45PM
9th March 1991 - US GP Qualifying: Shock pole for wonder-Brit
Of all the people expected to take pole position, no one had expected the underpowered Tyrell Honda of 20 year old Dean Kittleson, who is on his F1 racing debut, to take the honours. Aryton Senna, world champion, start alongside the rookie, with barely a tenth of a second separating them. Alain Prost lines up third, with Ricardo Patrese 4th, the highest Williams car in the field.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2006 03:05PM by Diax F1.
1991 - Race 1 of 16
Date: December 16, 2006 03:04PM
10th March 1991 - Berger wins in McLaren 1-2

Austrian Gerhard Berger won today in Pheonix, with Aryton Senna following line astern across the line. Senna would've won, had he not struck the pole sitter, Dean Kittleson, who retired on the first lap with a transmission failure, and lost his front wing. He had to pit for a new wing, which placed him at the back of the grid. Retirements and superstar class racing that Senna is known for placed him 3 seconds behind Berger 10 laps from the end of the 81 lap race. He managed to reel in the Austrian, but was incapable of overtaking him.

Nelson Piquet crossed the line 3 seconds after the McLaren's, and Minardi took their first points with Ferrari power by finishing 4th with Pierluigi Martini. Johnny Herbert crossed the line a lap down in 5th, followed by Andrea de Cesaris.

Rumours are going around the paddock that a driver change will be made by a top team for Brazil in two weeks time. Here are the odds of each team.

McLaren - 50/1
Williams - 100/1
Ferrari - 25/1
Benneton - 40/1
Re: 1991 - Race 1 of 16
Date: December 16, 2006 05:42PM
Posted by: Rico
Very very NiCe good job Dean to bad of those damned gearboxes ;)
Date: December 17, 2006 06:50PM
Posted by: Speed_Addict
Nice. Those Quali and Race reports, is that the good old Excel or are you using some GP3 season management app, something... :)
Date: December 17, 2006 08:35PM
Good old Excel ^_^.
Date: December 17, 2006 10:01PM
Posted by: Jackal
Yeah I started a season on those 1991 packs a while back and think I was in fourth in the overall standings four races from the end or so, never finished it because of a lack of time. I drove the Benetton of Roberto Moreno, which is also quite a bit down on BHP compared to Williams, McLaren and Ferrar. All of the top drivers had a lot of failures (me too, though), but were really tough opposition. At Hungary I made my best race and took my only win... it was really, really fun, anyway. Maybe when this semester is over, I'll have time for the remaining races...
Date: December 22, 2006 03:34PM
Posted by: Maximka
My "career" started in 1991 too. I've drove Lotus with Johnny Herbert. But... I've finished only in 7 races and scored only 3 points - one fifth and one sixth place in season. Then I've tested McLaren for two years, and, when Airton... well, I was invited in Williams to replace him...
Date: December 26, 2006 04:12AM
Posted by: C.Dantas
Wow, I make the same thing, racing from 1995 till 2006. All stats are in the link below:

[www.geocities.com]

I raced in other categories like F3000, IRL and CART, but don't make any statistics about it...
1991 season
Date: November 14, 2008 08:23PM
I'll just use this old thread so I don't have to open a new one, but I felt like it was about time to give some more race reports...

So here's my second attempt at doing the full 1991 season, the first one wasn't finished as I don't have the old game saves anymore. Again driving the Benetton of Roberto Moreno, but this year, thanks to Roberto's Race Manager which I have discovered in the meantime, with differing carsets from race to race. That includes that the best 22 cars of each of the real 1991 season's qualifyings take part in the respective races, and the performances are loosely based on the real 1991 results, too.

First race, Phoenix, Senna on pole by a mile, I'm on third row. The start is hectic, Prost crashes and in the chaos Pirro gets by and in the lead. Berger and Patrese later get past him but Senna doesn't, so when Pirro finally stops the other two are way up the road. Patrese then retires and Berger wins from Senna and JJ Lehto, who capitalizes on Ferrari, Williams and Benetton each failing to finish. That includes me, as I crash out just after halftime being in P 11 or something but already a lap down.

Next, Interlagos, Senna on pole again while I'm starting seventh. Race is great fun, a lot of overtaking, and I'm already up to third (although that was due to pit strategy, would have dropped to 5th later) when my gearbox broke. Senna doesn't finish either and Patrese wins from Berger and Prost.

Imola provides a rather boring race, both at the top, where Senna takes pole and leads from lights to flag, and for me - I'm in seventh at the beginning and fourth later on, but that's just due to Patrese, Alesi and Mansell retiring. Rain starts 13 laps from home and I have a massive spin but avoid contact, everyone comes in to change tyres but no position changes occur anymore, Senna wins from Berger and Prost while I finish fourth, 55 seconds behind Prost and 45 ahead of Modena.

After that it's on to Monaco, Senna taking his fourth pole of the season ahead of Modena (who indeed started second as well in the real 1991 Monaco GP and later retired in second with gearbox failure). I start 9th and am up to 6th by the end of lap 20, but then my throttle gets stuck and I have a heavy crash into Piscine. Senna leads from Modena and Patrese at that time, but later on Senna retires and although Patrese and Mansell are ages faster than Modena, they can't find a way past and Modena pulls off a massive upset by taking the win.

Current championship standings are Berger on 22 points, Senna and Patrese joint second on 16 and Modena on 12, I'm only at 3 points so far but my team-mate Piquet has yet to score, and, that is,yet to finish.

So I hope someone enjoyed reading this, if not... well, no-one forced you to. ;-)
Date: November 16, 2008 02:22PM
Posted by: kv88
Nice, bring on some more Jackal!

Re: 1991 season
Date: November 16, 2008 05:35PM
Posted by: ivocalha
Great fun reading it! Keep us posted!
Date: November 17, 2008 07:55PM
All right then, Montreal's next. In qualy I had one of those laps you have no idea where you got that from, just awesome and it lasted as pole time until Patrese's last try - he took pole by just 0,023 seconds from me, third was Senna. At the start Senna got away better than me and took second while I got under pressure from Prost and Mansell. Mansell dropped back a few places when hitting my rear tyre after an attack on Prost (he locked up into the last chicane), but Prost and later Piquet and Berger all overtook me as my race pace was poor.

Patrese led for three laps, then retired. Prost and Senna suffered the same fate within one lap and that helped Piquet in the lead, Berger was second ahead of me, Mansell, Modena and Pirro. As Berger and Mansell were on 1-stop strategies, they led temporarily, but first Mansell was out and then Piquet caught Berger before the latter even stopped. My pace was even worse in the second and third stint and both Modena and Pirro passed me, however Pirro had a moment a few laps from home and allowed me back through for fourth. So Piquet won from Berger, Modena and me which gives Berger quite a good lead in the points while Piquets first finish of the season brought a win for our team.
Date: November 17, 2008 11:54PM
Posted by: abdelkader
I'd like to do the same thing :) Unluckily (or luckily - it depends on the point of view :) ) I've just got a job and have no so much time anymore. Hopefully, I will take a short break soon to reenact some of the classic F-1 seasons.
Your posts are not boring even in the smallest fraction. It's cool to see your progress, man :)
Good luck

1991 season
Date: November 19, 2008 05:47PM
On towards Mexico, Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez. The Williams are clearly the fastest cars out there in qualy, Mansell takes pole with Patrese close by and all the rest of us at least 4 tenths away. I'm best of the rest ahead of Prost, with the two McLaren lining up on third row. I decide to use a setup which is more suited to the infield rather than going for outright speed, which of course means I'll have to hope for a clear track. Warmup times seem pretty decent in comparison to my qualy times, so I'm very confident that I can fight for points without having to rely on retirements.

However, those thoughts are useless after just a few hundred meters: I'm a bit slow off the line while Prost and Berger get off well. I keep to the outside hoping to avoid all the trouble I expect at the end of the long straight, but in vain: under braking, Berger pulls all the way across and directly into my path. I have nowhere to go but on the grass, so when I rejoin the track I'm down in 18th. Berger is even further back, but he's out after a couple of laps with gearbox failure anyway. At the front, Patrese pulls away from Prost, Piquet, Mansell and Senna and it looks like an easy victory - until it becomes clear that Mansell and Senna are both on 1-stoppers. So when Patrese pits for the second time, I know it's gonna be really tight, and indeed it's not even a second seperating the two Williams as he rejoins the track - but it's Mansell who leads and continues to his first victory of the season, followed by Patrese, Piquet and Senna with the two Ferrari taking the last point spots.

Oh, and where am I? At the beginning, I progressed quickly, being into the top ten again by the end of lap ten. After that, it got more and more difficult - I was more than a second faster a lap than the cars in front, but just couldn't overtake them due to my setup... Then I finally pass Grouillard for ninth, Lehto, who's in eigth, drops back with mechanical problems. So right after my last stop I have Modena three seconds in front of me in seventh, but just when I've closed in on him I have to pit again for a puncture. Now, of course, I'm the fastest on track with my new tyres and catch Grouillard again, taking eigth from him with maybe my best overtaking move of the season: round the outside of Peralta. Modena, however, is now too far away and I finish 8th.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2008 05:48PM by Jackal.
Unlucky mate but good come back drive to 8th

Is really gutting when after a great qualifying you get taken out near the start of the race and your race is wrecked

It reminds me of a race I was doing on GP4 with the 1995 Mod

Me driving as Johnny Herbert it had been a good start to the season, I had finished 2nd in Brazil behind Schumi, so coming to Argentina I was hoping for more of the same :)

But on a track I had never driven I didn't quite know what to expect, but in qualifying I managed to pull out a super lap, enough to beat Schumi for pole by a hundredth of a second, Mika Salo somehow got into 3rd too which was great for him, hopefully he would be able to hold up the field for us to pull away from the Williams cars

So come race day I'm ready on pole, and as the lights go out I pull away well from Michael who gets passed by Salo

Is awesome for me it means I can hopefully pull away, but disaster for me happens on lap 4, Schumi is past Salo and quicker than me, as he attempts to pass me in the first corner he hits me and we both go off.

Schumi is out and I'm now last :(

But the race got worst still, I continued on in the middle of the pack, around 9th place when bang I crash into a Forti I'm trying to lap

Was a bad weekend for Benetton, but not for Tyrell who got Salo on the podium in 3rd behind Coulthard and Berger

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy