grand prix 4 will suck yet again

Posted by jkronin 
grand prix 4 will suck yet again
Date: May 21, 2002 09:26AM
Posted by: jkronin
why oh why do they think we are interested in the FU(King Graphics?

I want to drive a formula one car, thats it. Why spend months on end to make the eye candy nice? Upgrade physics, add race-stuff like safetycar, warmup lap,etc,etc,etc,etc.

That one director once said that they dont have time to do EVERYTHING. Well I agree but how many minutes of programming will each of the following take?

1. when i have a gearbox failure, i can rev the car, blow the engine, go in pits and drive again after 20 seconds. (
2. black flag.
3. red flag.
4. stop and go penalty.
5. drive through penalty
6. stalls on grid (thus having a clutch at starts, with a keyboard)
7. changing the nose angles at pitstops
8. change the fuel consumption in the cockpit. (etc. running lean)
9. change the brake alance in the cockpit.
10. etc etc etc.

one can quite easily see how these can be programmed quickly taking a day or 2 for each entry.
Re: grand prix 4 will suck yet again
Date: May 21, 2002 09:28AM
Posted by: LS.
unfortunately geoff crammonds company have a 5 year contract with the publishers & FIA

they have more or less said that they will implement all the things requested like pace car, formation lap etc, but over the 5 year deal.

so we'll have to wait and fork out for at least 3 more titles before we get what we want :-(

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: May 21, 2002 10:27AM
Posted by: andy..
jaques take a chill pill, you don't have to buy it if you don't want it... sure it would be nice to have these things in the game, but it aint the end of the world is it.
Date: May 21, 2002 10:36AM
Posted by: Morbid
one can quite easily see how these can be programmed quickly taking a day or 2 for each entry.

With your programming skills I fail to understand why you don't set up your own multinational company that produces advanced operating systems for personal computers as well as servers. Just like Micro$oft. Surely if you are so gifted you could compete their sorry a$$e$ off in say... 100 days? Or maybe 200 if you meet a little hardship with the code.

Or if you are less ambitious, then just release your own Grand Prix game, call it "Jacques GP - the first and final!" with free webbased udpates after every race and all the other stuff we crave. It shouldn't take much more than say... 50 days?

I await in anticipation for the release dates...

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: May 21, 2002 11:44AM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

LOL morbid!

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: May 21, 2002 12:32PM
Posted by: Glyn
Yeah, you have a point Morbid. Little things take the longest to program. Look on the bright side though, how much better does GPxPatch make GP3? A lot. Now think of GPxPatch for GP4.

Date: May 21, 2002 04:12PM
Posted by: Habi
why oh why do they think we are interested in the FU(King Graphics?

If they would concentrate on the rules and leave the graphics, you would say:

why oh why do they think we are interested in the fu(King rules?

:rolleyes:
Date: May 22, 2002 09:10AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: May 22, 2002 09:13AM
Posted by: _Alex_
LoL @ Morbid - he's hit the nail on the head.

There are too many pessimists around here. The glass is always half empty.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: May 22, 2002 09:34AM
common Morbid.

You know the game is already written. Take my point 1 for example.

Ok.

Drive the car till you get a gearbox problem. You can't drive any further right? Ok, now while the car free to a stop, rev it so it hits 120 celcuis. The car now will blow the engine and the "error" switch now from NOT a gearbox failure to a engine blowup. When having a engine blowup error you can drive for about .5 of a lap. this enables you to drive to pits, where the pits resets ALL errors.

this is clearly a bug and by just a few lines of code you can prohibit the game of:

1. not clearing previous errors by creating more.
2. not reset errors other than wing failures and punctures.

If you, morbid, are a programmer you'll see that with the current game alreay in hand you can just "fix" the bug.

And so you can argument that the others are also easy to do.

You did'nt see me saying "it will take a few minutes to add the feature - let the guys in qualifying , run back to pits when car fails, by first placing the steering wheel back on and wave to the fans, maybe take off the helmett and bellaclava so you can see a full rendered face of schumi and then when in pits you can first go to the conference room to talk to Todt."

Why you guys always have to shoot everyone down or join each others shooting people down i dont know.
Date: May 22, 2002 09:59AM
Posted by: chris
jacques,

I don't think its a bug. Imagine your on lap 68 of 70 and your engines blows. You have a 30 second lead. Its INCREDIBLY annoying. If you close to the pits though, you can get it fixed and claim a couple of points.

If it was such a major bug, it would have been fixed in the 1.13 patch.

Chris J

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Date: May 22, 2002 10:10AM
qwerty. wtf?

you can't fix a F1 engine blowup. Its impossible. You have to replace the engine. Piston,valves,cams becomes one.
Date: May 22, 2002 12:15PM
Posted by: _Alex_
Have you ever actually played Gp3, jacques? Because Chris is correct. You can fix your engine in the pits. If you don't like that idea, write down the code to fix it and go and show it to old Geoff. I'm sure he'll really appreciate it.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: May 22, 2002 01:08PM
Posted by: LS.
i have to agree with jacques on this one, it is pretty unrealistic to be driviing along with smoke and fire coming out the back of the car, only to go into the pits and have your wheels changed & engine in 8 seconds.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: May 22, 2002 01:49PM
Posted by: bazza
That's an amazin set of smilies there Chris!!

Bazza

Date: May 22, 2002 01:59PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Wish i could say i made them, but i cant

Head over to www.mysmilies.com and enjoy a feast of 'em

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy