Graphic card problem

Posted by peppekk 
Graphic card problem
Date: August 22, 2006 09:01PM
Posted by: peppekk
Hi,
on my PC I have GForce 2 32MB graphic card (GP3 is working fine). I would like to upgrade it to 128MB or 256MB card. Does anybody know are there any problems with GP3 running on these cards? Did anybody experienced some problems with the new cards available at the market right now, trying to play GP3? Or maybe you can suggest me some graphic cards (128 or 256MB) that are working well with GP3, so I can buy it with no hesitation? I am asking, because I don't want to find myself in the situation that I buy new graphic card and I can not play GP3 anymore.... :)
Re: Graphic card problem
Date: August 22, 2006 09:48PM
Posted by: harjinator
ATi have problems with AA and AF, but if you turn them off it's fine. NVidia have driver problems, so avoid NVidia cards!

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: August 23, 2006 04:39AM
Posted by: JackiMatra
I have a Nvidia e-GeForce FX 5700LE 256mb graphics card which I purchased in the summer of 2004 for my new computer, to replace the Nvidia TNT2 32mb graphics card of the old computer (on which GP3 ran with absolutely now problems), which according to a number of computer hardware websites, provided 90%+ of the perfomance of the top-of-the-line graphics cards at the time, at about half the price. I decided on this graphics card because I had read in a number of forum threads that GP3 had many serious issues with ATI graphics cards.

The new Nvidia graphics card allowed me to increase the resolution of games that I had played with my old Nvidia TNT2 32mb graphics card at 1024x768, to 1280x960, and to run them at framerates of 80 to 200 fps, where they had run at 25 to 45 fps with the old graphics card.

I was distressed, however, that the new graphics card had three problems with GP3.
1.The game would crash if I attempted to calibrate the graphics.
2.The game would always ask me to calibrate the graphics at startup.
3.The armco at many tracks would flash on and off between looking as it should and a blank white texture.

A number of graphics card driver updates (and "backdates";), over the next year, did nothing to solve these problems.

However, as a game that I recently purchased strongly recommended that I update my "outdated" graphics card drivers in order to play it, I did so, to version 91.31, and found that the armco problem was now gone from GP3.

GP3 still insists on asking me to calibrate the graphics at startup, and nothing seems to solve this (including the alleged solution in the GP3 FAQs on this website), but the game runs perfectly well without graphics calibration, so this is just a minor one-click annoyance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2006 04:45AM by JackiMatra.
Date: August 23, 2006 12:22PM
Posted by: degas
There are a file called gconfig.txt in your gp3 root path. It looks like this:
------------------------
;gp3 generated file - do not edit

[Software 3d] failed 128
[NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 ] good 128
-------------------------

Well. Change all "failed" to "good" (make a file copy first) and the problem (I hope) will be solved.

But in fact the GeForce works very bad in GP3... too slow and a lot of crashes. No satisfatory driver or solutions found!

I have a GeForce 256MB to sell... anybody wants?
Date: August 23, 2006 02:57PM
Posted by: Brianf666
I'm using an ATI Radeon 9600 with 256Mb. No major problems and a bit more stable than my terrible GF4. My GF2 was fine and reliability is about the same. Strangely, all 3 cards have given occasional tyre 'reflection' in cockpit view. The calibration is also odd and not helped by using non-original circuits. Mine starts the calibration in the middle of a field and gets in quite a mess. Everything is best with running out of GPxPatch in debug mode and having the GP3.exe in win98 emulation on an XP system.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: August 24, 2006 01:11AM
Posted by: JackiMatra
degas Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> There are a file called gconfig.txt in your gp3 root path. It looks
> like this:
> ------------------------
> ;gp3 generated file - do not edit
>
> failed 128
> good 128
> -------------------------
>
> Well. Change all "failed" to "good" (make a file copy first) and the
> problem (I hope) will be solved.
>
> But in fact the GeForce works very bad in GP3... too slow and a lot of
> crashes. No satisfatory driver or solutions found!
>
> I have a GeForce 256MB to sell... anybody wants?

1.Nothing failed. All good.
2.In fact, as I just said above, with the new v.91.31 drivers, my Nvidia card works just fine with GP3/GP3-2k. No crashes with GP3-2k and very low PO. GP3 crashes at many addon tracks are a WinXP problem and not a video card problem.
Date: August 24, 2006 01:20PM
Posted by: peppekk
Are there cards different than GForce or ATI that work well with GP3?
Date: August 24, 2006 09:54PM
Posted by: Brianf666
Blasting back to the past, I've run GP3 on an ATI Rage 2 card, an S3 Savage and I heard of it running on an ancient Matrox card (not the old Millennium, the other one). There has been talk of it being forced to work with an Intel 810 chipset and I ran with software graphics on a SIS chipset on the old PC-Chips 810LMR board.

With a lot of the older systems, you might just be lucky and get a combination that works and the same graphics in a different mobo might not.

Brian

Nico bites yer tyres!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy