Who Is John Newhouse?

Posted by nvooght 
Who Is John Newhouse?
Date: July 31, 2006 12:38PM
Posted by: nvooght
In gp3 orginal he is in the game with an odd helmet guessing his or made up but does anyone no who he is?
Re: Who Is John Newhouse?
Date: July 31, 2006 12:39PM
Never mind i no why now.
Date: July 31, 2006 12:45PM
Posted by: peppekk
I think this is a good question. Why Microprose put this guy and not J.Villeneuve?????
Date: July 31, 2006 12:57PM
Posted by: quickslick
it's called john newhouse, because jacques villeneuve's name was copyright protected ;-)
Date: July 31, 2006 12:59PM
Wow and yet all the others wernt lol...wonder why they choose him maybe hes a guy from a lucky hat....;)
Date: July 31, 2006 01:22PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Why was his name copyrighted?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: July 31, 2006 01:24PM
bit odd 21 drivers rnt and 1 is....lol
Date: July 31, 2006 01:30PM
Posted by: quickslick
it was protected by his manager,if i'm right. Had something to do with marketing
Date: July 31, 2006 01:53PM
Posted by: kimiraik
Yeah and "John Newhouse" is simply the translation in English of "Jacques Villeneuve"
Date: July 31, 2006 05:48PM
Posted by: Zyklef
No it isn't, that would be Jack Newtown.
Date: July 31, 2006 05:56PM
Posted by: kimiraik
Mmh that's strange,I remember reading something saying it was the translation..uhm maybe i'm confusing..
Date: July 31, 2006 06:32PM
Wel this is very weird though why john newhouse lol....why not Jack Vilnerve?
Date: August 01, 2006 06:05AM
Posted by: PIQUET FAN
@ Zyclef: Newtown is "cidade nova" in portuguese and Newhouse means "casa nova", that means that Newhouse is the best translation for Villeneuve.
Anyway, I think the only reason for that happens is being a crap driver, Villeneuve keep doing things to have attention, which he doesn't have for his driver skills.
Date: August 01, 2006 05:43PM
Posted by: Zyklef
But Villeneuve is a French name, ville = town, neuve = new, maison = house (i think). So surely John Newhouse would be Jean Maisonneuve or something similar.
Date: August 01, 2006 06:23PM
lol no lets just say we translate to english not french lol :p I hate french lanuage ive finaly given it up for GCSE's after3 boring years.
Date: October 21, 2006 11:10AM
Posted by: gary42
Jacques Villeneuve = Jack Newton, but that was deemed too close for copyright

Date: October 21, 2006 01:32PM
Posted by: Morbid
His name was copyrighted because he had already put his name to the title of another game, just like he did with this one:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

That naming "feature" was also present in GP2 as far as I know. You could also find it in "Official Formula I Racing" from 1999. Here he was listed as "Driver Williams". In Formula 1 97 he was listed as "Williams Numberone".

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2006 01:33PM by Morbid.
Date: October 21, 2006 04:10PM
Posted by: pacerboy
gary42 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jacques Villeneuve = Jack Newton, but that was
> deemed too close for copyright

Jack Newton is an Australian Golfer who walked into a rotating propeller of a plane some years ago, losing his right arm and an eye. So they couldn't use his name because he couldn't drive one handed.
Date: October 22, 2006 02:51AM
Posted by: PIQUET FAN
Date: October 22, 2006 06:57AM
Posted by: sht56
If I remember correctly, I think it was a French autosport magazine that paid JV an extortionate amount of cash for sole use of his name and as this magazine held the copyrights for his name and all press interviews, meant no other organization could use it. I think this is correct.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy