Should Geoff crammond open GP3 source code?

Posted by GpFANtastic 
Should Geoff crammond open GP3 source code?
Date: March 18, 2006 07:07PM
Posted by: GpFANtastic
question is in the topic,

the second question is, would he do it?

Re: Should Geoff crammond open GP3 source code?
Date: March 18, 2006 07:42PM
Posted by: Gang$ta
w00t very usefull topic:P maybe if you pass him some $ :=)
Date: March 18, 2006 08:00PM
Posted by: Brianf666
I'll assume he's no longer making any serious money out of the GPx series and say, he would if it means being the creator of the longest-lasting computer game of all time. I got a friend who plays Championship Manager and every year he buys the new version. Thanks to all the race-crazy enthusiasts, we have that already in GP3, 2k and 4, with just the differences in graphics and style.

Would the source code give us much more? I don't know as I'm not a programmer. Would it mean we could tweak GP3 into giving us individual setups and shapes for each car? Would it allow more realistic tyre wear and blistering? Would it mean we could tailor qualifying and strategies just like the real thing? Would it let us set up driver characteristics to be as mad as Sato or as mean as Schumi used to be? As erratic as JPM?

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: March 19, 2006 08:03AM
Posted by: PIQUET FAN
If this code is usefull to make big changes into gameplay, would be very nice to see what gp3 could turn into...
I think the code which would be more interesting to be opened is the gp4 one, 'coz it's harder than gp3 to edit. Specially tracks. I'd try to turn gp4 into a not so heavy game for my pc...... =P
Date: March 20, 2006 12:46AM
Posted by: GpFANtastic
Brianf666 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Would the source code give us much more?

jep,
you could turn the game into whatever you wan't. If you are mighty of the language of the source code and additi. understand his code, you can manipualte everything.
New graphics engine? No prob,
Sound sux? Change it

btw: gp3's gfx enginge is lousy as hell, IMHO!

GP3 is a great game, but yet there is so much buggy. :-(

Date: March 20, 2006 03:15AM
Posted by: Briere
Brianf666 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it means being the creator of the longest-lasting
> computer game of all time.>
>
So you think GPL's creator would do it ? :)
Date: December 14, 2006 03:57PM
Posted by: prayerson
YES Please YES!!!!!!!!

The Cart mods for gp3 would have its own race rules like when the yellow flags come out during a race all the cars would have to bunch up again wow! Now thats my kind of racing! bring it on source codes.

thats what gp3 needs now to go into the next stage
Heck I'll even pray about it HaHaHa!!!!!!!
Date: December 14, 2006 08:44PM
Posted by: R_Scandura
There is something I don't understand. If Geoff is the author of the source code even though he is out of business couldn't he make all the update/fixing/addon to the code?
Or maybe: is he still the owner of the code? I mean if it's still his property or maybe joined to any software house...

Would be great to have the chance to fix some AI bugs and some simulating rules

-------------------------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2006 08:47PM by R_Scandura.
Date: December 15, 2006 02:01AM
Posted by: prayerson
Yeah!
good question dos' geoff Crammond have the source codes!!!!

and can the codes be opened by some sort of program?
Date: December 15, 2006 06:30PM
Posted by: belini
forget it, gp3 is very complex, I've been hacking into it for over 6 years,
any suggestions for changes as mentioned above would require a complete
re-write and a team of experts to do it.

pk

[www.belini.fsnet.co.uk]
Maybe GP2... :)
Date: September 28, 2007 12:27PM
Posted by: brnco
Just in case hes reading this.

Dear mr.Crammond

I would appreciate if you would publish those codes, so we can play with multiple carshapes and more than 22 car field.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

brnco
Date: September 28, 2007 12:50PM
Posted by: tim3003
Surely the source is the copyright of whichever company - ie Microprose, released the game, not Geoff's personally ?

But if they could be persuaded to release it, is an open-source update of GP3 feasible ? It seems to me that the combined expertise of programmers who've produced add-ons over the years should be capable of something pretty good!

Tim
Date: September 29, 2007 10:40AM
Posted by: Brianf666
True, but full release of it could be a disaster. Ideally a team of programmers would take it on and set the changes that would be available. Otherwise there would be dozens of different re-worked versions that would not be compatible with each-other. I know there is a way of doing this. I just can't think of the term for it at the moment.

As to whose property it is, that would depend on the original contract which is a matter between Geoff Crammond and Microprose I guess.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: September 29, 2007 01:15PM
Posted by: tim3003
We would need to tackle the whole project professionally. Nominate a project manager, then create teams to focus on different areas, each with developers and a team leader. Development work of the teams would need to be co-ordinated, with someone centrally having 'ownership' of the source code, making sure separate changes to the same bits are compatible and combining them. There might need to be testers centrally too.

It would not be easy! It would be a fascinating project though. However, the first step would be to get the source code, and see what quality and quantity of programming expertise we can muster. Does anyone know what language GP3 is written in? I assume DirectX knowledge is also vital.

I don't mind approaching Microprose, or whoever it is, to get the ball rolling. Does anyone have a current contact email for them or Geoff?

Tim
Date: September 29, 2007 02:19PM
Posted by: Famous Musician
Why the forum people doesn´t make a gp3 compatible open-source game?
Like using Gp3Edit file as a source for menu screens,perfomance data,and texture files, a carshape editor file as a source for shapes, and full-compatible gp3-tracks?
Date: September 29, 2007 04:01PM
Posted by: Rod_vs
"I would appreciate if you would publish those codes, so we can play with multiple carshapes and more than 22 car field"

I agree... and I want to do this... more than 22 cars and more than 16 tracks!!!
Date: September 29, 2007 04:40PM
Posted by: Ahlex
Play GP4, there are 17 tracks ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2007 04:41PM by Ahlex.
Date: September 29, 2007 04:51PM
Posted by: R_Scandura
actually the problem is not the number of tracks, but the number of carshapes/physic files.
Gp3_2000 already allows 22 liveries so that one should be the base

-------------------------------
Date: October 01, 2007 10:42AM
Posted by: brnco
Is gp3 already abandonwer, because gp3-2000 is, so there is no obstacle for publishing those codes. Maybie they are already published somewhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy