Help! Game freezes ohh no!

Posted by elio 
Help! Game freezes ohh no!
Date: December 18, 2005 01:33AM
Posted by: elio
Hiya. I am trying ro play GP3 on a newish PC given to me. I would really like to get into it an patch big time but ...

Everytime in run the game in hardware mode after about half a lap the screen freezes. Processor occupancy is never too bad, at or around 100% and frame rate is abour 23fpc. If i go to software mode (which is a bit of a dissapointment anyway) the game often crahes all together and trows me out after 5 laps or so. I have installed up to date drivers for the graphics card and tried setting GP3.exe to win98 compatability but this made the game fail at the menu stage. I am using the No-CD patch. Problems are all the same for Seaaon 2000 version also. I'd really like to get on with playing the game Any suggestions? Here is my PC spec:

Packard Bell
AMD Athlon XP 1900+
1.60GHz
240mb RAM
S3 Savage Pro KM113 16MB
Windows XP Professional

Please please help!
Re: Help! Game freezes ohh no!
Date: December 18, 2005 07:55PM
I have updated ti drivers to uptodate XP versions for the S3 card. It made no difference. Could I run WIn 98 and XP at the same time on the same machine?
Date: December 20, 2005 05:11PM
Posted by: Viper-F1.com
Have a funny feeling that your G/Card might not be upto the challenge.
I'm assuming its onboard.

It is possible to install the Win98 OS and XP in tandum. However, can be a pain in the arse setting it up, and switching between OS's just to play a game. Therefore, suggestions, try and get a slightly better G/Card, AGP or PCI, about 32mb, shouldn't be much. That could help. Failing that, try lower screenres, reduce framerate to about 14, and try without the N0-CD patch. That would mean a reinstall, unless files were backed up.

Hope those suggestions help.
Date: December 20, 2005 06:43PM
Posted by: saturdaynight
Unless that card is an absolute PITA, it shouldn't be having problems running GP3! The graphic requirements for GP3 are less then 16MB of video memory. Perhaps that G/card is bad.

It should run fine under XP without any issues. No reason to install Windows 98. I run GP3 fine on my Toshiba Laptop with Windows XP Pro, 1ghz PIII CPU, GForce 2 16MB video chipset and 512MB RAM.

Besides, if your computers hard drive is formatted for NTFS, you couldn't install Windows 98 as it's not an NT Operating System and doesn't understand that format. Win 98 only understands FAT formats.

The World Sim Racing Championship

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2005 06:45PM by saturdaynight.
Date: December 22, 2005 02:09AM
thanks guys for the responses. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Date: December 24, 2005 10:33PM
Posted by: Brianf666
The S3 savage chipset is one of the worst I ever encountered while building PC's for 5 years. If its possible to upgrade it you should do so. Even an old ATI Rage will run GP3 well enough.
Date: December 24, 2005 11:34PM
Brian

I think you have confirmed my suspitions.

What other g. cards would you recomend on a tightish budget that is easily installed?

Ta
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy