2002 Season + no competition = really boring!

Posted by TeamFerrari 
2002 Season + no competition = really boring!
Date: April 15, 2002 12:33AM
Posted by: TeamFerrari
Hi everyone.
For those people who saw the San Marino race on sunday, wasn't that the most boring race you'd ever want to see? (That's if you're not Italian!) Where was the overtaking??? Apart from the first lap???

Most people reckon that Michael Schumacher is in a class of his own while driving 'round in circles, but what happened to the competition from Montoya, Raikkonen and Coulthard that was promised???

So far, it's just been Schumacher(s) that have won the races this year (same as last year, pretty much - 12/17 races). At least back in the 80's, there were 5 fantastic drivers, all Shumey's level, all driving thir guts out.
I'm talking about Prost, Mansell, Senna, Piquet, and Lauda.

I always thought it might be a lot better for competition sakes that the F1 drivers play musical chairs every year, and let the top drivers compete in the slower cars, and see how they go....can you imagine either Schumacher in an Arrows or Jaguar??? Do we have to wait 'til 2004 when Shumey's contract runs out with Ferrari, so he might have to sit in a slower car like Villeneuve?

Am I talking crap as usual (yes, I hear the answer already!), but does anyone think I make a valid point????
Re: 2002 Season + no competition = really boring!
Date: April 15, 2002 03:35AM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

"Where was the overtaking??? "

Massa made a stunning move that impressed me alot. Bernoldi past a Toyota i think too.

"but what happened to the competition from Montoya, Raikkonen and Coulthard that was promised???"

JPm was just slow and the McLaren was pretty @!#$ compared to the Ferrair and the Willaims, and evenn the renualt.

"Am I talking crap as usual"

no, F1 is boring to watch and the next tracks are spain and monaco which traditional provdie broing racing.

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: April 15, 2002 04:36AM
Posted by: jkronin
when schumacher's contract runs out he'll either stay another year or two, or retire.

You think a F1 icon will settle for BAR? This guy is making history gets paid the highest wins every single time and you want in a minardi? How humulating.
G'day all..

Even if I were a Schumacher fan, I'd find the current situation that F1 is in to be boring. Sure, I'd love watching him win all the time, but how much more would u get out of it if it came down to aggresive, sportsmanlike, competitve driving that is absolutely enthralling to watch. At the Imola Grand Prix, I'd had enough by lap 10 and played a couple of Quickmatches in ra2 whilst watching it. I won 3 ra2 games versus decent ranked ppl and didnt miss a second of action of the race. Now where's F1 going when I can do that????

Date: April 15, 2002 06:20AM
Posted by: Rainey
Well, it seems that now it is just down to the manufacturers and car setups, and no longer so much driver ability. It would be interesting to see slick tires be re-introduced and take away some of the downforce just like the commentators suggested during the race. The sport seems like it slowed down so much that the drivers must just be urging the car on, it appears that to drive one of these vehicles you don't have to be exceptionally talented anymore with assists like the auto gearbox and now traction control, the drivers never make mistakes anymore, apart from at the beginning of the race when they come together. Although the Montoya and Michael scraps are good fun to watch when Montoya has the straight-line speed and Michael has the corner speed.
Date: April 15, 2002 07:14AM
Posted by: Zcott
Massa's move was a good one but why was the rear light flashing at the exit of Rivazza on his car?

It was a fairly dull race, yes. I was happy to see Jenson do so well, as I'm a big fan of his. Montoya was mostly slow, and Michael was amazing.

Spain is a track that is famed for no racing whatsoever. And since it's a very technical circuit we'll see even more of the "Noah's Ark" racing that Martin Brundle talked about on ITV - the 2 Ferraris, 2 Williams', 2 McLarens, 2 Renaults, 2 Saubers, 2 BARs racing in formation.

Mind you, Montoya went well there last year, so here's hoping for a decent result!
Date: April 15, 2002 08:02AM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

The rear light on the sauber was flashing for most of the race, same with Heidfeld. Maybe it was tatcics that dont make sense, just like the pit strategy ;P

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: April 15, 2002 10:10AM
Posted by: W1lliams
Don't worry guys, Imola was a one off, the races will be closer.

Imola is tough to overtake and IMHO very suited to the new Ferrari, with it's revolutionary transmission. There are lots of slow corners leading to medium length straights which are good for the F2002, the straights are not long enough for the Williams BMW grunt to become a real factor.

Also Williams were having brake problems all weeked, in qualifying they had to tape up the brake ducts to try to get more heat into them. The cool weather also favoured Bridgestone, there is only one team who can win races on that tyre.

Montoya had undeersteer during the racem due to some minor changes made to the setup after the pre race warm up.

I am not saying Barcelona will be a great race (it rarely is) but it should be lots closer, as long as it doesn't rain! The long straight will hopefully be good for Williams and even McLaren tend to do well in Spain.

Ever the optomist me!

David ;-)

[groups.yahoo.com]
Date: April 17, 2002 08:13AM
Posted by: Bruno_dc
I'm just glad I could watch Paris-Roubaix on another channel. F1 was boring, good old Museeuw put on a performance F1 drivers can only dream about. Those are the things I want to see in sports, not Noah's Ark.
Date: April 19, 2002 06:29AM
Posted by: Arbiter
I dare say, Halpinen. Excellent languauge. You don't see hypothetical conjunctive used to often in written english, such as seen at this forum.
G'day all..

Ermmm thankyou! :-) I'm always striving for those hypothetical conjunctions. Nah to be honest I don't actually know what you mean but I can tell it was a positive comment, so thankyou!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy