A Request To Fellow Forum Members...

Posted by Rupert 
A Request To Fellow Forum Members...
Date: March 30, 2002 03:37AM
Posted by: Rupert
If you read the GP4 forum, you know that I made a decision to purchase F1 2001, by EA Sports. This was a risky decision because it cost me $60 Australian, or about 25 Pounds. But it was one great decision, because the game is wonderful. Well I suppose you want to know this thread is about. Well I am going to tell you.

I wasn't really expecting much from F1 2001, but I have been pleasantly suprised, more to the point, overwhelmed with the quality of this game, err sorry, simulation.

Because it is a simulation. I know what you are already saying, oh bullsh*t Rupert, it is an arcade game. Well I argue not. It isnt, it is very realistic, more so than GP3. I won't go into detail about the features, I am sure you alredy know most of them, but I will dwell on the most important ones.

Firstly, the graphics are first class. The game runs as smooth as a baby's bottom, up to 70 FPS. I am running it at 1024 x 768 in 32 bit mode, on an Athlon 1600 with 256 Ram and a GeForce 2 64 Meg card. And it looks a treat. The tracks are very detailed, more so than GP3s. The original carskins aren't that bad, but with Ralph Hummerich's fantastic work, we can drool at Malboro instead of plain white, or West instead or Mika or David. The cars look fantastic, especially from closeup. The carshapes are very nice, they don't really need to be updated.

The physics are very hard to judge. Driving the car feels very different to GP3, and that comes down to a few reasons. I think the high frame rate makes it easier to control, but the physics would have been written differently to GP3s. Another nice addition is that only some of the top teams have the 7 speed gearbox, teams like Arrows, Minardi and Benetton have to do with only 6. The only grudge I have about the physics is that you can suffer from understeer in slow corners, but in high speed corners that is all gone. That can be fixed by changing the steering lock in the car setup menu.

The tracks are top notch. As I said above, the graphics are very detailed and look wonderful. But the thing I like is that all the trakcs are unique in their own way. Hockenheim is very thin, compared to Sepang and Silverstone which are very wide. And the bumps, well Interlagos like a constant ripple strip. You feel the bumps, and they do actually slow you down. The camber in the tracks is much more noticable than in GP3, like the 1st corner in Brazil is an absolute bastard to get through, because it falls away, just like it should. And turn 4 at Sepang is curved up to the apex, and can catch you out easily. All in all they are a joy to drive on.

But the thing that impresses me most is the detail that the developers have gone through to make the game realistic. For example, each team has their own steering wheel, accurate from last year. For example, Ferrari has the large round wheel, and McLaren has the wing shaped one. Very nice to distinctly tell the difference between cars. You can also see the whole cockpit from outside views, with the steering wheel moving etc.
And for pit stop reality, you drive out of the garage, and you can set the speed limiter, and you have to turn it off manually. You have motion pit crews, and very good feedback from your engineer via radio. You can turn down the frequency of these messages, but they still come in handy.

Also inside the cockpit you notice what it is like to be in a F1 car. You see your suspension move about, and you also get that effect when the wheels are going so fast that it looks as though they are slowing down then going backwards. (I dont know if people have noticed that in real life, it was in GPL.) And your test days (practices) you can have them private or not, which means you can actually have public test sessions with 3 or 4 other cars.

And also available is the superb FIA GT Mod Patch, which overwrites the F1 Cars with Porsches, Ferraris, Vipers and Lister Storms. This was no easy feat becuase the carshapes and physics had to be completely remodelled. But this wasnt horribly difficult because the physics engine for F1 2001 was based on Sports Car GT, which was a very good game in its own right. And I can tell you, it is difficult, because the physics have had an amazing amount of work done on them. You think you can come steaming up into high speed corners and just pedal through them, but you cant. You have to brake very early, shift down, careful not to overrev, and be stable on exit.

Well, this thread has no meaning except to tell you how fantastic F1 2001 is. Until now.

I have had GP3 since Christmas 2000, and since then I have done 2 full champ seasons on 100% race distance, one on Pro, one on Ace. I was midfield, which I found to be more fun than up front because there is more of a battle for points. Anyway, I drove GP3 off its ass, and I always thought it was good.

But for me F1 2001 shines over GP3. The physics are fairly close together, but graphics and gameplay sh*t all over GP3. I know I am comparing this to GP3, because we cant really to GP4 fully because non of us have played it.
But what I am asking of you guys is to not necesserialy look at F1 2001 as pish. I know you need a top end system to run it, but you will need the same sort of system for GP4. I am really annoyed because there isnt a demo, because you would be pleasantly suprised, just like I am.

So if GP4 turns out to be a disappointment, you can go back to GP3 (unlikely) or you can get F1 2001, or 2002 for that matter which looks awesome as well.

Because I wont be rushing to the stores to buy GP4, I will wait and see. But I assure you that I will be for F1 2002 if the standard stays that high.

So C'mon, get in the deep end. If you are feeling bored, or even naughty, go out and buy F1 2001. I promise you wont be disappointed.

I would like some discussion on this thread, I know it is long and Mika you may not read it all, but try! Becuase it is a big issue because GP4 could turn out to be awful, but then again, maybe not.

Ozzy

P.S: Happy Easter all! And Vader Bunny, bring me something or you will be forced to lose your bunnyship.
Re: A Request To Fellow Forum Members...
Date: March 30, 2002 04:13AM
Posted by: _Alex_
You may well have convinced me to buy the game when it goes down in price, Rupert. However, I've never thought much of EA's F1 games, so I'd only get it for the GT mod. Have you tried that mod Rupert, and is it any good?

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: March 30, 2002 04:19AM
Posted by: chris
Happy easter to you too, Rupert.

This is a very interesting thread, because I've never had the chance to play the game (as you say, system requirements high. I have a 350 p2) but this is intruiging.
Perhaps because were all so 'GP3 is F1 god...don't try anything else' we have thought that other f1 simulations would be poor, but the fact remains that after gp2 other companie realised that it was a growing market, and pulled their socks up, made quality games etc.

I would accuse mr crammond of resting on his laurels, thinking only he could make good f1 games, but apparently he's wrong.

Perhaps the brand name EA wasdamaged by f1 2000, and so we didnt think the next one would be any good.

If what you say is all true (why shouldnt it be?!) then this game is good.

PEOPLE LISTEN: THIS GAME IS GOOD. i don't know, but I'd be willing to believe a fan of f1 sims ahead of a magazine reviewer.

Chris J

btw Rupert, have you played CMR2? I prefer it to gp3 at the moment...more fun.
Date: March 30, 2002 04:22AM
Chris have you tried the GT mod? It looks pretty amazing, and I'd buy the game just for that! And Happy Easter too you all as well!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: March 30, 2002 04:24AM
Posted by: Rainey
Thanks for a great insight to the game, I had heard that it was pretty good, but now you make me want to go out and get it.
Date: March 30, 2002 04:53AM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

Its crap, if you turn on all the driving aids then you have no control over the car. It brakes and tunrs for you, all you do is hold down "A".

The driving school is a good idea, pitty they didnt make a good job of it. And how come if i just tap the back on another car the rear wings comes flying off?

The best bit is the graphics really. But another sign of a good dame is one that runs well even on bad machines. HL/CS GP3/GP3 2000 all do this. But in F1 2001 if i have more than 4 cars on screen or more than 8 on track the slow down becomes so bad that if i steer it reacts 3 seconds later.

And im 100% sure that F1 cars dont handel like that, you can watch F1 and see that they dont handel like that, BUT in saying that im sure they dont hanadel like in GP3 where they sterr on there own alot of the time.

But there are lots of things which make it better than GP3

this is IMHO of coruse

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 30, 2002 05:08AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
G'day all..

Well, I'll never be buying the game. Nor, for that matter, will I be buying GP4. Don't be shocked, I'm not stomping my foot down or anything, It's simply because I just don't have the system for it anymore. I'll be getting an X-Box, for sure. And that will result in a purchase of Gp4, and I'm assuming F12002 too. I think when i have both of them together, that, for me anyway, will be the ultimate test between the two.

Rupert, this forum is full of people (me included) that have seen Gp3 as the ultimate, God like F1 sim. And we may be right, we may be wrong. You're a rare type who has gone out and defied the constant "EA games are all @!#$" and come back with results that are like a new scientific discovery, resulting in re evaluation of known theories. Seriously tho, how much is it like that tho? We all know and respect Rupert, so we know he's not talking bullsh*t to us all. I for one (I assume everyone else does too) respect Rupert's opinion on the EA game, and take it very seriously.

Indeed, this is a very interesting thread.

Date: March 30, 2002 05:11AM
Yo Sup

"so we know he's not talking bullsh*t to us all" - yeah thats true

"respect Rupert's opinion on the EA game" - opinion is the key word there you see. I respect his opinion, definatly, but it doesnt take away the fact that I think the game sucks.

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 30, 2002 06:30AM
Posted by: Vader
I will immediately go to my local video shop and rent the game for the weekend. If it is any good - and I have no reason not to believe Mighty Ozzy - I will be in the shops on Monday - NO!!! SHOPS CLOSED ARRRGHHH!!! - Tuesday and buy it. With all these mods and d/l my modem will finally explode, I guess ...

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 30, 2002 06:56AM
To be fair though Ellis, gp3 with braking help means you just keep your finger on 'A' and press < or > now and again, not much more difficult!
Also perhaps ea have it right, with a driving school and auto steer etc it is a more accesible game than gp3's steep learning curve.

Chris J
Date: March 30, 2002 08:21AM
Yo Sup

GP3s steep learning curve means you come out with better skills

With GP3s braking help you still have to steer.

Date: March 30, 2002 10:39AM
I for one (I assume everyone else does too) respect Rupert's opinion on the EA game, and take it very seriously.

It is for that reason exactly that I intend to buy the game. Vader you said you'd rent it. I don't think you can do that in Britain. Can you? I'm pretty sure you can't rent PC games because it would be far too easy to crack it or copy it onto another CD. Guess I'll have to buy it. *Risk Alert* Rupert would you try out that GT mod please and tell me what it's like? That would be much appreciated!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: March 30, 2002 11:05AM
"GP3s steep learning curve means you come out with better skills"

True, but this means less accessibility to those new to the f1 sim genre, less pick up and play, which is very important nowadays; eg CMR2 has an arcade mode for this reason.

Chris J
Date: March 30, 2002 11:06AM
Posted by: LS.
if any of you have a nvidia chipset on your video card, be warned the game plays like a dog

you have to install really old detonator drivers to get it to play

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: March 30, 2002 11:38AM
Well, we can rent games here as soon as they are out. But if I really like a game, I'll buy it anyway and if it's just to get the manual (Ever tried out a flight-sim without manual? AAARRRGHH)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 30, 2002 11:44AM
Yo Sup

Yeah, Vader i have. I tried flying from New York to London and ended up somewhere near the south of France :S

Date: March 30, 2002 12:04PM
Ever tried out a flight-sim without manual? AAARRRGHH

yeah FS2002 :-(

LS's Tip of the week
Date: March 30, 2002 12:24PM
Yeah, Vader i have. I tried flying from New York to London and ended up somewhere near the south of France :S

I did not even get this bloody plane moving. I just found out how to toggle views, which was not very exciting: Watching a plane standing just there and looking slightly emberrassed.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 30, 2002 12:42PM
i can get the planes in the air ok, its keeping them up there thats the problem,

trimming the aerofoils and all that cobblers

fuc'k that

i think i may have been a kamikaze pilot in a previous galaxy

LS's Tip of the week
Date: March 30, 2002 06:52PM
Posted by: Rupert
@ Chris (qwerty): You make some good points, EA's reputation was damaged severely by F1 2000. But they forgot about it, got ISI on board and made this. I have played CMR2, but only the demo. I am not a real fan of rally games, but it is alright, very smooth, the sounds are nice.

@ Alex: If you read the post, about 2/3 down, there is a small bit on it. If you want more info, just mail me @ my new address, ozzy_eagle@hotmai.com.
There is also a CART mod being developed, which is great because of the lack of CART games around, and when ever someone says 'Turbo' around me, I scream!

@ Ellis: That is very funny when you play with all aids on, but i play with most off. I try to simulate the season, I only use low stability control, low traction control, and low ABS. That is all. I know you need a big system to run, it is a pity, but to play GP4 well you will want a high end system anyway. And you say GP3 has a steep learning curve. It does, because for a lot of us it was our first 'real' F1 game. This has made F1 2001 a lot easier for me, because of my knowledge of F1 and the way the cars behave. I am hotlapping in no time, and I agree it wont be too hard for anyone to learn the game if they have played GP3.

Thanks again for the comments people, lets keep them coming!

Ozzy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy