Radeon 9550 and GP3

Posted by Speed_Addict 
Radeon 9550 and GP3
Date: November 12, 2004 12:10AM
Posted by: Speed_Addict
Hi guys! Anybody out there has experience with R9550 and GP3(2k)? How do they get together?

What would you say is better for GP3, a GF4 Ti4200 or an abovementioned Radeon?

Thanks!
Re: Radeon 9550 and GP3
Date: November 12, 2004 02:08AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
For GP3, the Ti4200.

The lesser Radeons just don't handle GP3 well, neither do the Nvidia 'FX' cards - not as well as the old generation at least.

The 9550 is a fine card, but not, imho, for gp3. Radeons for some reason are horribly slow in gp3, but if they have the raw power (9600XT and above, in my experience) then they pull through, and are fine, if they are slightly weaker (9600 non pro, and below) then they don't do so good.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: November 12, 2004 04:02AM
A 9600XT? Gosh, that's way out of my league :)

What do you mean Radeons are slow in GP3? I currently own an R9000 and I don't experience any real hinderings in performance, at least as far as the fps are concerned.
There are however many,many little gfx gizmos that piss me off. For example I can't see the back side of the fences! It simply doesn't show!
Perhaps it's hard to understand this way so take a lok at these images (pay attention to the weaving fence,you can't see the back side of it!):

[img83.exs.cx]
[img83.exs.cx]

Do you get that too? Is it the GP3 thing or the "my radeon" thing? :)

Anyhow, I'd like to ask you, and everybody else, what would you do in my place: I'm not a gaming freak, I don't feel the need to waste my time playing games, I only play GP32K coz I'm a Formula one fanatic, so that tells you that I don't need a state-of-the-art graphic card.
I would like to get the best card I can for, say, 70 euros and not a cent more!

What would you kind people recommend me? :)
I personally have narrowed down my choice to those two cards, R9550 and Ti4200. Any more ideas?
Date: November 12, 2004 10:20AM
Well, this company ship to the EU - www.overclockers.co.uk - and 70 euros = 49 uk pounds, so....

If you don't really play games, how come you're buying a new card? (just out of interest :))

The ATI 9000 is a re badged 8500 LE from the last generation, so it will play older games well enough.

The 9550 is an OK card, its fairly fast, will play Doom3 on low settings I expect. But as ever, gp3 compatability is n issue.

The Ti4200 is an old card, older than your current one really, but its a very good one. It'll play Gp3, but struggle on newer titles. The image quality in windows isnt, imo as good with Nvidia's older cards as with ATI's.

So, for that money, a new 9550 is good, or a second hand Ti4200 - but I wouldnt pay more than £35 quid for it, or £55-60 euros, as it will be second hand I expect.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: November 12, 2004 11:03AM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Speed Addict, that's a GP3 problem :D

Your graphics card really doesn't make too much of a difference for GP3 - the processor is more important. WHatever you do, don't enable FSAA and AF for it though, as GP3 hates those and will run absolutely crap.

H E L L O
Date: November 12, 2004 06:41PM
@ -qwerty-
Why am I buying a new card? Well first of all it wouldn't be a new card actually, coz both 9550 and Ti are well out of date LOL :)
Jokes aside, I thought that my R9000 is a real crap compared to a 9550 or a Ti42000 and I guess I kinda wanted to stay "in touch" as much as it's possible for 50 quid... :)

@Daniel K.
...but you got me thinking! I didn't believe that that fence stuff is a GP3 problem!? So my radeon isn't really that crappy at all? (for GP3,of course). There would be no real difference then if I run GP3 on my existing card or on one of those two I'm mentioning?
Hmm, I think i'll invest in DDR then :)

Oh yes, I currently own an Athlon 2200 overclocked to 2400, so that whole package (R9000 included) is just about enough for GP3 right? No real need to update anything.
I thought I'd gain something in the appearance department, but it seems that poor graphics is actually a GP3 thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2004 06:44PM by Speed_Addict.
Date: November 12, 2004 06:44PM
No, considering this game is nearly 5 years old, a 2.5 year old graphics card (such as your 9000) is plenty powerful enough!

Don't bother upgrading. With GP3, if it runs fine on your current graphics, for the love of god dont change, because you cant tell if gp3 will hate newer cards! :)

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: November 12, 2004 07:41PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Now if only I didn't have windows XP ;) I may be able to get a good PO at the start then, instead of 200 odd or maybe worse, 300 - 400 if raining

H E L L O
Date: November 14, 2004 05:04PM
Posted by: gavingav1
i use xp and cant even get my radeon 7000 series to work with xp and recomendations
Date: November 14, 2004 06:55PM
You got the latest Catalyst drivers off ati.com?

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy