GP3 CTD

Posted by tax dodger 
GP3 CTD
Date: October 30, 2004 05:37PM
Posted by: tax dodger
hi,

ive just installed gp3 on my new pc. every time i start the game i get asked to calibrate the gfx again. i got fed up of this and havent bothered to do it every time. gp3 doesnt last long before it CTD's, and i was wondering if this is cos i keep passing the gfx calibration.

i even turned the gfx well down (my pc should run them full with ease) and it still crashed

any ideas?
Re: GP3 CTD
Date: October 30, 2004 05:52PM
Posted by: Vader
The solution for the calibration can be found in the FAQ (sticky thread).

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 30, 2004 06:29PM
ive looked at that, and althought i didnt quite understand it, i did what i think it said.

First check if you have enabled "Save Changes" when exiting the game. If yes, go to your Grand Prix 3 folder and look for a file called "cards.txt". *Open it with a normal text editor and have a look at the graphic card listed there. If this is the case delete the entry and save the file.*

if what is the case??

when i opened the file it said [general] and then underneath that it had my gfx card twice. i deleted everything in the file and saved it again. calibrated the gfx (which took ages to load for some reason), but when i started the game again i still get asked.

did i misunderstand?

also, do you think this calibration thing is related to the CTD problem?

i havent seen that in the FAQ's :-)
Date: October 30, 2004 06:33PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
No, its because Graphics cards with multi monitor support (ie newer cards) appear in windows as Primary and Secondary display, to allow you to change each possible monitor's settings, even if you only use one.

Disable 'Secondary' graphics card in Device Manager (Control Panel / System / Hardware) of windows, or do a search of thi forum for a patch somebody made.

I doubt its linked to the CTD though

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: October 30, 2004 08:46PM
thanks your suggestion has stopped the calibration thing, and you were right, it isnt linked to the CTD problem.

erm, now what do i try? is it a winXP thing? i know a lot of games are difficult with xp.
Date: October 30, 2004 09:15PM
ive had a search on the forum and found a post called 'anyone running gp3 on xp' from about july i think. there were a few things in there about FSAA and summin else but then the conversation drifted onto different things

from what i read i think the problem relates to my gfx card: radeon 9600SE
Date: October 30, 2004 09:37PM
GP3 hates new radeons. Unless its a very powerful one, that can make up for GP3 hating it in brute force (essentially, a 9700 Pro or better). The 9600SE is a fine card, buyt not that powerful. Shouldnt affect CTDs, but it will hmaper performance badly. Make absolutely sure your quality settings are on 'performance' for GP3, ie no AA or AF, because GP3 really really hates that!

Also, right click on the Gp3.exe, and select 'compatability' tab, and Win98 mode. I've never known it to actually make a difference, but it must serve some purpose.

If you've updatd gp3 with a new track or carshape, if its a little dodgy, gp3 will get very crash happy, right at the point when the loading lights start going.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: October 30, 2004 10:14PM
Posted by: Speed_Addict
Tax Dodger, are you using GPxPatch?
Date: October 31, 2004 01:08AM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
I have to say, using win 98 compatibility mode for GP3 has always served me well. I can't remember it CTD on me with compatibility mode in operation. Maybe I'm just a lucky git.
Date: October 31, 2004 08:13PM
yes i am using gpxpatch.
Date: October 31, 2004 08:36PM
ive set compatibility mode to win98 and its still crashing. is there any hope of getting gp3 working?
Date: October 31, 2004 08:49PM
Posted by: Vader
Thank you for reporting a mistake in the FAQ. It should actually read:

First check if you have enabled "Save Changes" when exiting the game. If yes, go to your Grand Prix 3 folder and look for a file called "cards.txt". Open it with a normal text editor and have a look at the graphic card listed there TWICE If this is the case delete the SECOND entry and save the file.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2004 08:51PM by Vader.
Date: October 31, 2004 11:56PM
Posted by: Speed_Addict
yes i am using gpxpatch
In case you're still experiencing ctd's you might want to check if all car & cockpit livery jams are properly selected in the season.set.

Just a thought...
Date: November 01, 2004 12:32AM
Using GPX Patch, set GP3 to run in debug mode, and set Verbosity to high, then post what it says over at the gpx patch forums (google it) they'll know better

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: November 01, 2004 09:22PM
ok thanks, ill do that
Date: November 02, 2004 10:14PM
erm, im not using a season.set.

im just using a carset ive created with gp3edit
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy