force feedback worth it ore not?

Posted by taergalger 
force feedback worth it ore not?
Date: March 26, 2002 01:31PM
Posted by: taergalger
Hi,

I have been a fan of Geoff Crammonds GP games since the very first so know them quite well, having said that I still don't have a workable theory about set ups and still trust to trial and error!!

But that's another story.

Having for years been curious about the force feed back wheels, I recently splashed out on one, the Logitech Wingman Formula Force (red).

To tell you the truth I am disappointed. I believe that I will learn to enjoy some of the new 'feels' like hitting curbs and losing traction but what really bothers me is the 'gritty' feel during steering, its like a rumble.

Is this typical or do I have a faulty games controller?

I have tried it in both GP3 2000 and Colin McRae's Rally 2 game. In the latter, the 'gritty, vibrations during turns are not as pronounced as in GP3 but they are still there.

If its 'normal' can they be tuned out.

If not, and all force feed back wheels are like this, I will certainly be recommending friends not to bother. The gritty vibrations are certainly not natural, not in any car I have ever driven and in my mind outweigh any of the other benefits of force feed back. Maybe I will get used to it?
I would appreciate the views of anyone else with the same wheel.

Thanks.

Reg Whittall.
Re: force feedback worth it ore not?
Date: March 26, 2002 11:02PM
Posted by: Zaahir
well, i d have EXACTLY the same steering wheel and i say its well worth it. i'm not sure what the gritty feeling is, but you dont expect it to be totally smooth do u? It took some time for me to get used to, but eventually i got it.
Date: March 27, 2002 02:14AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Stick with the Force Feedback wheel. Anyway Gp4 will have a "greatly improved force feedback system" :D

Date: March 27, 2002 04:19AM
Posted by: biggles
Yeah i agree , i have a microsoft force and find it great and i cant wait for GP4,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lets go go goChris Burkitt wrote:
>
> Stick with the Force Feedback wheel. Anyway Gp4 will have a
> "greatly improved force feedback system" :D
>
>
Date: March 27, 2002 05:59AM
Posted by: Vader
it is quite simple:
If you have a FF wheel you can use FF or turn it off (in most cases) if you don't like it. You have the choice.
If you have a non-FF wheel, you have no choice, since you can't turn on what's not there.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy