Is criticism allowed?

Posted by Jacques26 
Is criticism allowed?
Date: September 28, 2004 10:13AM
Posted by: Jacques26
As someone who gladly uses the fan-made add-ons for GP3, I hesitate to offer any kind of criticism of the wonderful effort made by these people.

Perhaps I have been spoilt by the carsets made by people like The smoking Pen, Stephan Sequin, the EMAC stable or Sabatier, but recent carsets made by M Brazil, X acto and Alexandre Faustini (are they the same person?), are in an entirely different league and not in a good way.

I assume part of the reason why people make carsets available for others is to share their work and let others enjoy their artistic efforts in the game.

But I wonder if anybody really appreciated the carsets made by M Brazil, X acto and Alexandre Faustini? Appreciated in the sense of using their carsets of cars in the game.

Could (well-founded) criticism improve their work or would it crush their artistic ego
Re: Is criticism allowed?
Date: September 28, 2004 01:13PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Its a slippery slope, some people would take criticism in the spirit it was intended, others would take offense at it. It depends on the person, but also on how the criticism is expressed - obviously well chosen words should not cause offense, but calling some one's work "crap" would no be constructive.

The difference is maybe that when a game as old as gp3 still suported by painters, we have to grasp everything offered - and I don't mean that in relation to any names mentioned in your post. Also in the GP4 community there are many more work in progress shots, so criticism can be offered before the car is ready for release, and the author less willing to make changes.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: September 28, 2004 02:10PM
Posted by: X_Acto
Personnally. i don't have any problems with your criticism.

You are free to say if a carset don't pleases you. I can live with that.
Myabe, you could mail me the things you think you should improve, and how can i do that. (After all i only use MSPAINT, as a program)
Don't worry with my future works, after all i'm planning to do only one more...

BTW, X_Acto and Alexandre Fuastini aren't the same person. I done the cars for those carsets and Alexandre Faustini made the performance.

If you want, i give you my permission to improve every single car i made until today.

-----------------------------------------------------

Date: September 28, 2004 03:23PM
Posted by: Duncan Idaho
I critize everything - its part of my appreciation for that artist's work.
Date: September 28, 2004 03:26PM
Posted by: X_Acto
So many new users in this topic...

-----------------------------------------------------

Date: September 28, 2004 05:34PM
Posted by: Made in Brazil
i am with x acto.
honest I do not import myself if somebody to criticize what I made, in the truth I already had plans to make carset of the bikes I have much time, but he went to make for me exactly did not go to announce them.I decided to announce because many people exist who like to make collection and have some friends here that they would like that she was made. Now if people decided no downloaded my carsets i made for me only.
All people is free for criticism my works, I have conscience that they are not best carsets already made, I do not know to work in the PSP or some similar program, iplay these carsets very fine and i am happy with them thus.
I would be very happy if somebody repainted my cars with the quality of smoking pen , calimbo or EMAC, the idea is here.
I would only like that somebody informed to me before even for a respect question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2004 05:49PM by Made in Brazil.
Date: September 28, 2004 07:36PM
Posted by: calimbo
I feel as -qwerty- to be honest. You'll have to use good words.

Going to the point, I believe it's not easy to make a carset, especially with MSPaint...at all!!! I tried that when i was starting. I remember i was working on Spa 02 with the new pit entry, so I was working on the sponsors and all that stuff, and i was doing'em with MSPaint. I showed my work to Ricardo Lampert and he told me "you just work on the track layout, and i'll work on the graphics". I felt so frustrated that time. But i said to myself "If i want to be part of these guys, who make great things for the GP3 community, i'll keep on looking for it". I started asking people, looking on the GP3form files and I found my lovely PSP. I started working on RHummerich cars for the 2003 cars as a base, and now i can do them by scratch. And every time i paint, i surprise myself even more. And that's why i have a test driver, so he can tell me how does he feel about my cars, what do I need to change.

When I did the 2003 carset I did those cars feeling that nobody like them. But what a surprise, when i got some e-mails saying that my work was amazing!!!

The only thing I can tell you guys, is to get these criticism on the best possible way. And don't say that you feel good with what you've done, and better being self-critical and at the same time, listening what the others says.

Date: September 28, 2004 07:55PM
good words calimbo....

my pc not supports the psp or photoshop...
Date: September 28, 2004 09:36PM
Posted by: harjinator
if you're going to be critical, think first, could I do any better?

if yes, then go ahead, do better and offer constructive advice to the original author.

Also-is it possible to get some sponsor logos that I can just copy and paste onto a car?

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 28, 2004 09:55PM
Who are you asking harjinator?

Date: September 28, 2004 09:59PM
anyone who knows!

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 29, 2004 06:39AM
Posted by: gareth
i think that we should be thankful that these guys are making the effort to keep bringing out new stuff- i know i've got half a dozen half finished projects sitting around (that i really should get off my arse and finish) and i know the effort and time it takes to create new carsets and tracks so THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS

and the more you make, the more you improve, as calimbo says. so maybe soon we can look forward to some mind blowing sets from M Brazil, X acto and Alexandre Faustini!!
Date: September 29, 2004 07:12AM
Posted by: Fraplee
Hey Harjinator,

Send me an Email @ fraplee@juno.com and I can send you a bunch of cut and paste art.

FraPP!!!!
Date: September 29, 2004 10:02AM
Posted by: Jacques26
Let me start again by saying that I can't make GP3 cars like the experts and have never really tried. So any comment is made from the peanut gallery.

If you look at the cars in the FIM 250cc carset and compare those with any car made by Camilo Holguin, a world of difference is obvious.

The M Brazil cars seem mono color and just have some sponsor decals attached with no attempt to "model" the chassis. And the decals seem slightly "out of focus".

Good looking cars have some kind of shading and you can see details on the cars like lines between body parts or cooling vents. The wings have some kind of "definition" with the sponsor decals attached as they would look if the wings are angled.

To be honest, I have no idea how to achieve those effects but shouldn't that be result we should be aiming for?

Using MSPaint worked fine with GP2 when playing around with sponsor decals but I don't think it works well with GP3 cars.

Just my $0.02.
Date: September 29, 2004 10:39AM
Posted by: dada
to me everybody who spend some time for this game is a HERO .

No matter the quality of his work.

i always download everything new for my gp3 version... if is good , thats grate

if it isn't ... no promlem.

i always rate the "gp3 products" but i never ( and thats what i will continue to do ) do criticism in public-foroum.

not even in a private message .

Date: September 29, 2004 12:34PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Well the first thing i'd like to say is that i am hopeless at making Carskins. I wasn't too bad at GP2. I made some nice(if i may say so myself) casrskins of the 94 Pacific and Williams. Plus some nice Fantasy carskins. But GP3 is a completely different level, and i would like to congratulate everyone who has made the effort to make carskins.

My advice on carskins is, don't rely on a Season Pack. You can download one if you want, quite often the helmets are good, the tyres and pitcrew etc, but you are much better off trying to download single cars and putting all these together for your season.

Secondly, sometimes carskins that look plain in Ms Paint or whatever, often look much, much nicer in the game. Cars that are overly detailed can sometimes look cluttered, and cars with fewer sponsors and details can look so much better

Date: September 29, 2004 04:23PM
well, it is a simple question, who it did not like a certain work, simply erases of his HD
Date: September 29, 2004 06:55PM
Posted by: drafi5
I agree with gareth and dada, thanks to all people who keep this great game alive,
I am looking forward for every new carset and track.
If you try to make yourself a carset ot teamart, you will know how hard and
difficult it is. So guys, please continue your works, we need more !!!

Happy racing from Germany !!!
Date: September 29, 2004 08:11PM
But i think, that we should keep on doing some open-criticism, like the one Jacques26 did. Is great to hear something knowing that it could improve my work.

For example, on my MSN messenger, I ask some GP3 people, things like, in my GP3 1.13 carset, should I make the NT McLaren liverie, with the main sponsor "Best" or just leave it blank. And i have different points of view. So I can't make everybody happy, and I choose the most voted option.

And you can see it on the GP4 forum as well.

What we should give people is a kind of preview, like GP4, so people can judge whether they should download it or not.

Date: September 29, 2004 09:08PM
yeah. GPx patch can take screenies of H/W mode (which I can now use-Wahey!!)

How many bits colour depth can H/W made use?

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy