Auto braking

Posted by harjinator 
Auto braking
Date: September 27, 2004 08:57PM
Posted by: harjinator
After over a year of driving with auto-braking, I want to try without it. Anyb ody any hints?

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Re: Auto braking
Date: September 27, 2004 09:09PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
dont slam on the brakes hard or itll lock the wheels

gradual braking is the way forward
Date: September 28, 2004 12:16AM
Posted by: The Lopper
After over a year of driving with auto-braking

You what?!!! :-o

Hmmm, advice? What controller are you using?
Date: September 28, 2004 03:15AM
Posted by: Vader
You should apply the brakes until you feel the wheels are about to lock. Just before they do lift the brakes a bit and press the pedal again. This way you will have maximum brake power without locking (and thus damaging) your tyres. This method of braking is called "cadence braking".

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: September 28, 2004 07:29PM
Posted by: ardenasia_kyle
auto braking? i have never used this option, seems childish to me. my only advice is that you can always brake later than you think you can. Remember it is an F1 car, they are capable of so much more than you think. The cadence braking saves tires majorly. I use this with a slight variation. I basically "feather" the brakes once the car gets to the point where it is at max brake performance, meaning when they are about to lock, i lift and push very quickly. Almost like pumping your brakes. It allows you to not overly slow the car down, and find the maximun braking points. Good luck! :)
Date: September 28, 2004 09:24PM
i have imroved. I can get around Indy on GP4 without going off. Tried GP3 and ended up off at every bend in Oz. I and using a joystick BTW, whoever asked. I will master it...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 28, 2004 10:33PM
Joystick is good for braking. I am using a steering wheel and pedals, and the pedals are switch pedals, so you cannot have different levels of braking.

I always try and brake while turning into a bend at the same time.
Date: September 28, 2004 10:51PM
I tried that and always locked the inside front. After doing about 100 laps of Melbourne, I still can't get a perfect lap together. I think I need a new physics file-I'm never usually as bad as this...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 29, 2004 01:13AM
Posted by: Marcow_nl
Ever tried autobraking in the rain? Well...if you master that, you can easily drive a rain without autobraking :)

Same goes for me with autoshifting, sometimes it makes your car do strange things because you do not always know when the system will shift. Especially going back in the gears.

Ibanez guitars played by people like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai make me wanna go fast!!

Come and compete to other GP3 hotlappers [www.gp3Hotlaps.tk]
Date: September 29, 2004 09:10PM
Yeah the worst corner for the autoshifting is the righthander after the straight by the lake in melbourne. you can take that quite fast, but auto shift shifts down, and autobraking brakes...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 29, 2004 11:06PM
I tried that and always locked the inside front. After doing about 100 laps of Melbourne, I still can't get a perfect lap together. I think I need a new physics file-I'm never usually as bad as this...

Ta da! Well done. When you do that you know you're doing well. In fact, i don't think i have ever completed a lap without locking a wheel. EVER!
Date: September 30, 2004 12:33PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I know I always lock up, bt that's due to keyboard, not me I guess....anyway I just brake after (only just) the '100' boards, and keep an eye on suggested gear (right hand side of cockpit) if you dont know how much to brake for the next bend.

Locking up has no affect on tyre wear, and my lap times are pretty good, so I dont think lockups are too bad really

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: September 30, 2004 10:25PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
> Locking up has no affect on tyre wear, and my lap
> times are pretty good, so I dont think lockups are
> too bad really

really? i always thought it did :|

looks like theres no need for me to end my driving style then of locking up at every hairpin :)

Date: September 30, 2004 10:58PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I always try and brake while turning into a bend at the same time.

Trail braking :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 01, 2004 11:27AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Well if it does, I never noticed :D

I've always driven guns blazing style, last of the late brakers, and I aint changing for nobody ;)

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: October 01, 2004 01:20PM
Posted by: Sapo
Damn, autobraking... I drove a while with autobraking in gp2, but in gp3 i rather spin 2 or 3 times in al ap than drive with autobraking, i makes you soooooo slow. And about the tires, locking is indeed very bad for your tires, i always brake late, and therefore my tires are bad within 2 or 3 laps, and that slows me down also :P

But with the keyboard, that's problematic...
Date: October 01, 2004 02:21PM
Posted by: edenhead
locked wheels does increase tire wear majorly. Try doing a lap of monza but go down the straights with the front wheels locked (accelerator and brake at the same time) and have a look a the tire wear on the front wheels
Date: October 01, 2004 05:11PM
Posted by: Sapo
Yeah ofcourse, but does it also really makes your car slower...? do you have less grip than driving a normal lap and sometimes locking a wheel?

btw, i cannot brake and push the throttle at the same time, by the fact i'm playing with a joystick... So when im braking, i never have a wheel locking because i'm still pushing the trottle
Date: October 01, 2004 09:47PM
@ sapo, can't you sert the throttle to the joystick's throttle? I did it and it works fairly well, it's just a bit confusing for a while!

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: October 01, 2004 11:22PM
Trail braking

*Takes out notebook and begins jotting down notes*
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy