Anyone running GP3 on Windows XP ?

Posted by headache 
Re: Anyone running GP3 on Windows XP ?
Date: July 27, 2004 11:57AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
You can't keep supporting old software forever, can you? Dont see games made for Win95 anymore, so you can understand their standpoint, but it does suck.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: July 28, 2004 05:03AM
Posted by: Bernie The Bolt
Win95? What about 3.1...or DOS even!
Date: July 28, 2004 03:44PM
Posted by: harpv
Yes I run GP3 & GP3-2000 on XP.
Windows XP HOME Edition
Pentium 4 2.6 GHZ CPU
512 MB Dual channel
Nvida Geforce-FX 5200 128MB

Both run fine .

Along for the Ride.
Date: July 28, 2004 08:52PM
Posted by: harjinator
Do you run them in software mode? If not, what gfx card drivers are you running?
Date: July 28, 2004 09:54PM
hardware mode.
nivida geforce-fx 5200 graphics.
directx 9.0b
200GB Hard drive
the games have not given me any problems.
I do need a better sound card.
does this help?

Along for the Ride.
Date: July 31, 2004 05:44AM
Posted by: mortal
I am using GP3 hardware mode on XP with a Geforce2/MX400 64mb onboard using detonators 45:23 drivers. I have high PO at race start and then it settles down quite well. Hardware accelaeration is turned down in the sound options (SBLive 5.1 Surround) using latest Creative XP driver set there as well. It can be done if you perservere with it and the effort is worth it ;-) Not that I play GP3 much these days, mainly GP4 and GPL for F1 and F1C for the mods.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: July 31, 2004 11:55AM
@harpv I've got a 2.4GHz Celeron, 768MB Ram and a Geforce FX 5200. How did you get Hardware mode working?!!! BTW I'm running Win 98SE (I think XP is horrible!)
Date: August 01, 2004 07:35PM
Also-do you get a problem with white barriers and loss of control?
Date: August 01, 2004 08:35PM
I'm pretty sure that loss of control thing is graphics drivers....or its a via chipset issue, because it used to happen to me, then I used 45.xx drivers, and it went away - but on my girlfriends pc (with via chipset) whatever gfx drivers I try, control issues :|

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: August 02, 2004 01:33AM
To answer Mr. harjinator
All I did was put the CD in and run the setup.
The computer did the rest.
When I went into the game setups it just worked.
But I do like the XP.
I did have the games in a Win 2000 there it worked fine also.
I don't know what eles to say.
Sorry I can't say anything bette than that.

Along for the Ride.
Date: August 02, 2004 09:08PM
doesn't matter-I'll see if there's another version of the 45.xx drivers.

BTW, I've got an SiS chipset-dunno whoi made the Geforce card though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2004 09:11PM by harjinator.
Date: August 03, 2004 03:33AM
Posted by: JackiMatra
Get rid of XP.

I have found that nearly 90% of my software, that worked just fine under Win98SE, has various, often very serious problems including very often just not running at all, under WinXP. These problems actually even occur with software published as late as 2002 (but as software development takes years, obviously developed under earlier MS OS's).

My outrageous suspicion is that this was quite purposely done by Microsoft so that it would render virtually all older software immediately "obsolete" and require everyone to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on new software that would work on WinXP. Just think of what this would mean in potential profits for the software industry overall and Microsoft in particularly. Of course, there's obviously absolutely no possibility of any collusion or financial arrangements between Microsoft and other software developers, so most likely I am merely suffering from paranoid delusions. It's likely just another paranoid delusion of mine that Microsoft spends incredible amounts of money on advertising to convince the public that their latest OS is the greatest thing since air conditioning, a nearly unimaginably brilliant improvement over all of their earlier OS's (of which the exact same was claimed by them), and that with "compatiblity mode" it's possible to run nearly all older software on WinXP with no problems (which can be seen to be a blatant falsehood by anyone who has ever tried, and is also very interestingly contradicted by Microsoft itself offering for sale software that will allegedly overcome any problems (that according to themselves aren't supposed to exist anyway) running older software on WinXP for only $129.99, as a temporary measure, according to them, until their customers can "upgrade" to (read "purchase";) newer software that will run on WinXP.
Date: August 03, 2004 05:01AM
Posted by: JackiMatra
"Dont see games made for Win95 anymore,"
"Win95? What about 3.1...or DOS even"

Which all ran on Win98SE,
as did all software that I tried from the last several years including this present one.
Date: August 03, 2004 12:15PM
Posted by: trissy
I am running Win XP Pro on a P4 1.6, 512Mb RAM, onboard SiS 650 video 64Mb, NO MS UPDATES except the security patches and have the usual GP3Edit & GPxPatch installed.

The only problem I have is when I try to calibrate the graphice the game crashes and takes me back to the desktop. The same thing happens when I use a track that from what I can best work out doesn't work properly or I have stuffed it up somehow so I figure this happens, deal with it.

As for other software not running under Win XP, I don't blame Microsoft. They don't support DOS anymore because it is simply too old and outdated. Move with the times and deal with the problems if or when they occur. It's far too easy to waste time and effort blaming someone else for why the stuff doesn't work anymore (even if it is their fault) and quite often not worth the trouble!
Date: August 03, 2004 08:21PM
Hey, DOS rules-my PC mot often uses it 'cos windows keeps packing in!! Won't run GP3 or 4 though...

BTW, found that my Graphics card isn't detcted with version 45.23 drivers, therefore giving high PO. Any way to fix it, or is my card bust again?
Date: August 04, 2004 12:54AM
Posted by: mortal
@harjinator test 30:82 detonators, hmmm card bust again? again....thats a worry. Seems like you have serious issues there, windows keeps packin' in....just gets worse. Your best option is to toss the card and get a decent one, make sure it is nvidia chipped, hey they're cheap enough, you can get a good card that will run gp4, battlefield and more for under a $100 these days. Shop around. Get it right and stop tearing your hair out, your supposed to be enjoying it :)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 04, 2004 02:52AM
Posted by: Red Sam
I run GP3 on XP, hardware mode - I have noticed in the last couple of days that the screen flickers black when i am playing. it happens every ten seconds or so. It doesnt stop me racing, but it is distracting!

I downloaded the rpm counter mentioned in another thread, and then the flickering started. I took it off, but the flickering continues. Anyone know why, or can help me??

THanks!
RedS

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: August 04, 2004 11:18AM
Hmm don't know about flickering, sorry mate.

Jacki, I find it quite funny you want to have a go at a company for wanting to push things forward a bit. With the exception of Win2000 Pro, XP Proo is the most rock solid OS they ever made. It does work with GP3, itss just rather more difficult than under 98.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: August 04, 2004 05:01PM
Posted by: Scottyj
Why not stay with 98SE like i do. No problems.
Date: August 04, 2004 08:33PM
I agree! -to answer mortalwombat, my hard disk died a heroic death this morning (blue-screens and everything and even nasty noises!!) so I've acquired another one, seems to have fixed some problems. Machine still won't run GP4 though, I'll have a look at GP3 again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy