Fence Graphics + Control Problems

Posted by harjinator 
Fence Graphics + Control Problems
Date: June 25, 2004 08:50PM
Posted by: harjinator
Now my graphiocs card works (£40 later) I have two main problems with both versions of GP3:

1: Some of teh arnco barriers change from grey to white (esp at Monza on GP3 1.13) (I'll try to take a screenshot)

2: The joystick control 'sticks' i.e. you lose all player control of the car, but the game keeps running. The control, however comes back when your car hits a barrier, or another car or something and the problem appears to be sporadic. It is worse in GP3 1.13.
(Keyboard control does the same thing, only not as bad)
Re: Fence Graphics + Control Problems
Date: June 25, 2004 09:04PM
TRied to put up a screenshot, but it didn't work-how do you do it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2004 09:08PM by harjinator.
Date: June 25, 2004 09:16PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
The control is a bug with recent Detonator drivers (ie your Nvidia graphics card drivers). If you got that fx5200, it will like the new ones - as its an 'FX' card - but this screws up gp3, so you need to use much older drivers - something in the region of 45.xx off the nvidia website. This should also fix graphical glitches.

To post images, you need to upload a picture (if you don't have webspace, then head over to [www.photobucket.com] and register - very easy. Then copy the url, and paste it here, like so:-

[ img ] URL HERE [ /img ] without spaces.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: June 25, 2004 09:22PM
THanks, I'll give it a go. Yes I did get the FX5200, works a lot better than the Radeon!

PS, the older drivers won't stop it working will they, I've alrady had to reinstall Windows four times this week, and I don't fancy doing it again!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2004 09:25PM by harjinator.
Date: June 25, 2004 09:36PM
TO answer my own question, they won;t 'cos its a standard driver for all GeForce cards
Date: June 26, 2004 12:20AM
Only thing is that the very new drivers are optimised heavily for your card and those above it - so you may not get the full speed you should expect for other games (ie newer ones).

Maybe you can set 2 hardware profiles in Windows - using one set of drivers (45.xx etc) for one profile, another set (56.xx) for the other? Do a google search - it may be possible!

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: June 26, 2004 11:08AM
TRied the older drivers with GP3-PO went up to 790%!!!!, couldn't tel if the bugs had been fixed. Reloaded newer driver this AM, and sorted control problem (Motherboards USB ports are bust, again!) Would the latest version of Detonator fix trhe bug, or should I E-mail NVidia and see what they have to say?
Date: June 26, 2004 01:47PM
You may as well try the newest drivers - I wouldn't expect Nvidia to be trying too hard to help someone play a 4 year old game - even if it is the best racing game around :) So you COULD try emailing them....actually yeah it'd be good.

What version of Direct X comes on the GP3 disc? I think it's 6....so email nvidia, asking them which drivers would allow best compatability / performance of a DX6 (just as example) game, using a FX5200 card - which is dx9 compatible. They'll probably say they're backwards compatable - and if they have no better suggestions, then just load up the newish drivers (the reference ones which came with card, say) and give it a go.

I'm not sure whether the new GeForce cards will even like the old drivers - as your 700% PO suggests. I know the old cards work with new drivers, but new to old I don't know.

Well, I'd be interested to find out - let us know how it goes :)

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: June 26, 2004 04:53PM
I haven't actually installed DX 9 (still running 8.1 from my old, old card) Do you reckon that DX9 would help card performance?
Date: June 26, 2004 05:07PM
Just found you can't get support from NVidia, which is useless since they supply the drivers. Can't find a website for the company which made the card either, so I'm a bit stuck. Currently downloading new drivers to see if they make any difference.
Date: June 26, 2004 06:25PM
Well I would think that a DX9 card would work best with DX9 - but it should be backward compatable, so I wouldn't worry.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: June 26, 2004 08:07PM
Posted by: Fraplee
Hey Harjinator,

This may sound odd but what slot is your sound card installed in? The sound card and graphics card will "compete" with each other for slot #1. Check to see that your vid card is in AGP slot and move your sound card at least 2 slots away. Also make sure that your sound card drivers have been updated. There are also some things to check in DX Diagnostic. I can't get to in depth because I am at work now. I'll check in later and see how your making out.

FraPP!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2004 08:08PM by Fraplee.
Date: June 26, 2004 10:08PM
I'm using my motherboard's inbuilt soundcard after I blew up my other one.
Date: June 26, 2004 10:37PM
Do you reckon there's a patch anywhere to fix the problem? I'v currently downloaded three versions of teh NVidia driver, none of which work. Don't suppose there are any other drivers for teh card, not made ny NVidia?
Date: June 27, 2004 12:14PM
Found that the problem doesn't occur in software mode. Which is not what I bought an FX5200 card to run! Don't suppose GPxPatch would help?
Date: June 27, 2004 04:27PM
Not really mate :(

Any chance yoou could send it back and get an oolder card - say a GeForce 4 MX?

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: July 01, 2004 08:00PM
What sort of PO would an MX440 give?
Sys specs are
2.4 GHz Celeron
256 DDR RAM
Date: July 01, 2004 08:23PM
Well, I have a GF4 MX440, its a solid card, but nothing more than that.

PO is mainly affected by your proccessor - which seems fine for gp3! But I can run gp3 full settings with any new track (except Bahrain - huge PO :| ).

Trouble is, it wont play any other games that well these days - it is effectively a turbocharged GeForce 2 MX, so not too good.

Its strange that a FX5200 doesnt work with gp3 too well - you're not running it with FSAA and AF on are you? Because as I said in the otheer thread, gp3 won't thank you for it!

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: July 07, 2004 07:55PM
Don't think so-don't know how to disable them anyway.

Are there any other drivers rther than Detonator for NVidia cards?

PS, sorry for the sporadic replies-modem is temperamental
Date: July 07, 2004 11:54PM
Detonator are the official drivers from Nvidia there are certainly 3rd party ati drivers (called Omega) but for Nvidia I dont know. Have you tried the drivers I mentioned?

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy