A few questions and disscusions

Posted by Daniel Knott 
A few questions and disscusions
Date: June 19, 2004 09:34PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Ok, I've set up my Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power 3 pad to work with GP3 (Don't have a wheel, well I do but it's a really crap destiny one from around the times of GP2, and is utterly useless). It works fine however I can't get the pad to do functions such as pause the game and change camera etc. I have set the buttons on the pad to do the appropriate keyboard inputs, using the Thrustmapper thing, but it doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone have GP3 and a Thrustmaster controller of some sort (can be a wheel or sanything). If so, have you got it so that you can set the buttons to do keyboard commands, eg pause the game. If so how? I have fiddled around with Thrustmapper, and don't have any idea why it doesn't work.

I have one exam to go so after that can be here more often. However it does seem pretty dead here atm :D

Can anyone suggest a good steering wheel for me to get? Using this pad is really hard, maybe more so than keyboard, heh. I was on Australia (not my favourite of tracks O_o , but at least it's not Montreal) and it was pissing it down, the hardest possible. So, I go out of the piut lane, gingerly through the first corner and then try and accelerate down the straight. What happens? It bloody spins constantly :( I try to correct it with opposite lock, but all that does is make it start spinning the other way and it is no use.

This means that the AI cars can accelerate properly in the wet, yet I can't, because if I try and do sweeping straights while going fast, it spins the damn thing. I am only playing on amature, and am still at the back of the pack in terms of times :(

Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a proper 1998 season changing thing - for example, cars that have fake/no sponsors have them on (the McLaren's look rather plain atm). Hmm, not exactly the best season anyway. The McLaren drivers weren't that good it's just they had the best car. At least it has Hill in :)

Does anyone know why any F1 game with Jacques Villeneuve in has to have a fake name and can't use him. I want a patch that puts him, his helmet and photo in too :D Is it because he is stuck up and arrogant and has not allowed anyone? why? Well he is a bit of a twat really anyway.

I've just remembered when Hill had to race on the same team as Prost and they always used to argue :D was that in 1993? Can't really remember.

I don't remember too much about Senna, as my dad brought me up wantingMansel to win and so obviously we didn't want Senna to win/ However the events of 94 were a shame. Both Hill and Senna on the same team could have been a dream combination, but sadly it wasn't to be :(

And then there is cheating Schumacher, crashing Hill out in Adelaide. How many seasons did he cheat Hill out of the championship? Was it only in 1994, or was it in 1995 or any other seasons too?

I was about 7 at the time of 1994 so I can't really remember in much detail.

Anyway, I hope you can answer my questions on GP3 and suchlike
Re: A few questions and disscusions
Date: June 19, 2004 10:18PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Ok, for the problems with the car in the wets, sounds to me like the Driving Aids could be turned off. Press the F8 key during the game to turn it on. Or else you're a @#$%& driver and need a bit of practice :)

You'll find loads of downloads on the net to get different liveries, from different years, with the proper sponsors and all. Best of all get GPxPatch which switches liveries from tabocco to non-tabacco automatically for you at races like France where they don't have tobacco sponsors. You can download different tracks and all.

Jacques Villeneuve didn't appear cause some company had the rights to him or somrthing, i'm not sure, but he did appear in GP3-2000. You'll find the downloads for him on this site. Oh yeah you'll need some tools to put those in, i think GP3- Edit is the best download though i'm not sure cause i have GP3-2k

Prost Hill was 1993 allright. Though i didn't think that they used argue. Could be wrong, can't remember much of it myself

Schumacher only took out Hill in 1994. There were a few incidents in 1995 allright, but they were mainly Damon's fault.

Think thats everything :)

Date: June 19, 2004 10:24PM
Posted by: Dinga
Hi and welcome

Read this [www.grandprixgames.org] it's the FAQ for GP3 and should answer all your GP3 related questions.

Jacques Villeneuve's name is/was actually a trademark, so instead of paying him, a fictional driver was used(the downloads above sort this out)

1993 Williams Team, Hill and Prost.

1994 It is fair to say that MS did drive Hill off the track in the final race of the season while leading the championship by 1 point. Deliberate or not is up to personal interpretation. My opinion? Yes he did it on purpose. However, there was more to this championship than just the final race with many twists and turns. If you can get hold of a season review video or book it's worth it. This is the only year MS Quote cheated Quote DH out of the title. But if Hill had won the title that year it would have been a little hollow(Me a Damon fan too!).'95 saw MS drive into the distance with a Renault powered Benetton, but the "cheating" reared it's ugly head again in '97 when he tried and failed to take JV off the track in Jerez.
Date: June 19, 2004 10:36PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Definately Dinga, Hill didn't deserve the title that year. Schumacher was banned for 2 races afterall, which was a little harsh. And i'm a Damon fan too!
Date: June 19, 2004 11:25PM
And DQ'd from 2 more!(Silverstone and Spa)
Date: June 20, 2004 12:03AM
Yer, I don't remember much about the season as I say :D

From what I remember, it was a really exiciting season. I would raise more issues, but I can't really remember :D

About the Jaques Villeneuve thing, yer, I would have thought as much, as in every F1 game I have seen he has been fake. In the diabolical World Grand Prix on the N64 he is called Driver Williams :D (I hate that game - handling is bollocks).

Yer, I have all driving aids off, except gears as I want to try and be able to race ok first before turning that off.

Now I have analogue pad I decided to turn off steering and throttle help :D

Keyboard seems easier because of this :D

Oh yer, and about the GPX thing, it seemed a bit dodgy, as it has a picture for Goodyear tyres in, but it put the Michelin one on instead, how can I sort this?

Also, there are those car set up option things at the bottom that are annoying, how can I turn that off?

Is there anyway to get good replays with controls and allow for a lon length? I heard this was available in GP3 2000, so I was wondering if anyone patched it into GP3? I really have no idea of how to go about getting 2000 and I don't really know if it would be worth it anyway.

What is your favourite tracks? Mine is probably Belgium, it is so fun :)

Although I do remember on GP2 when I crashed and lost my front wing, and was about to be lapped cos I went into the pits. I got lapped by a few people, but then started setting fastest laps and going much faster than the AI (it was probably on rookie). It was quite amusing.
Date: June 20, 2004 12:32AM
Posted by: Vader
You are almost right about Jacques (not completely, though.)

As we all know, game developers have to buy licenses if they want to use real names. In case of driver names they have to buy the licenses from the GPDA (Grand Prix Drivers Association - some kind of trade union or driver interest group, founded in the 60's by the likes of Jackie Stewart to improve safety - amongst other things). Since Villeneuve did not join the GPDA until 2000, his name was not included in these licenses before. Game developers would have had to negotiate with him in persona, but this would have meant more costs, so they usually replaced JV in the games. Since 2000 (when JV joined the GPDA) the rights to use his name name was included in licenses game developrers could buy.

Mika ruled in 98. He was better than all the other drivers. :p

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2004 12:34AM by Vader.
Date: June 20, 2004 12:38AM
If you're talking about GPxPatch for tyre logos,just change the tyre type logo bitmps in the GPxSAT options panel.
Date: June 20, 2004 10:26AM
ah, thanks about the tyre thing - I will try it.

How do I get rid of the dar setup menu thing at the bottom though, that shows plank and tyre wear? It is annoying

Does anyone have any ideas about my pad also?

And I can't find the real 1998 season patches and JV patch :-/ All the patches I find seem to be for GP3 2000
Date: June 20, 2004 10:37AM
Oh yer, and can races actually be red flagged in GP3? There is the red flag on the dash so I assume so. However I thought they could in GP2 but they can't :( They list all those flags in the manual and then don't use most of them.
Date: June 21, 2004 10:23AM
Posted by: chiltz
i'm having the same probs as u with the thrustmaster keyboard mapping problem & ur doing better than me cos i can't even get my thrustmaster firestorm wireless to work with gp3 at all (if you could pm or email me with how u set it up i'd be eternally grateful)

the spinning in the wet might be due to the accelerator driving aid being turned off (F7 i think but check the driving aids screen) & like Lopper said F8 for the steering help aswell.

i was looking through the thrustmapper presets folder last night & noticed that they have already set up a preset for gp3 in the modena 360 folder so have a look at their pre-prepared preset & it might give u a clue for the keyboard mapping thing
Date: June 21, 2004 10:33AM
I forgot to mention that my advice for buying a steering wheel would be the MOMO Racing Force. After checking through countless F1 & GPL forum threads, this seems to get the best recomendations for wheels available today.

Supposedly the MOMO force was a better quality wheel but they are rarer than rocking horse s**t these days (only available second hand if u can find one at all)
Date: June 21, 2004 04:09PM
Posted by: Scottyj
If you own a playstation2 aswell, the ONLY steering wheel to have is the logitech drivingforce.
It works in ps2 (obviously) but with wingmanforce drivers, works fine on pc. The only trouble is the pedals can't be switched to different axes, but you never notice it.
Date: June 21, 2004 04:16PM
Posted by: Scottyj
Sorry

Double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2004 04:19PM by Scottyj.
Date: June 21, 2004 06:03PM
Hmm I don't have all the other sets of drivers. If you could send me the modena profile or something that would be helpful to see if I can check it out.

Do you have ICQ or MSN or anything?
Date: June 21, 2004 06:10PM
afraid not

pm me your email address & i'll send it over to you
Date: June 22, 2004 10:13AM
check ur mail m8
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy