Your driving style

Posted by bestobritish 
Re: Your driving style
Date: September 19, 2004 05:29PM
Posted by: Sapo
Well, I have to say that my style is different for every track and even between the qualifying and the race. For example, in Monza, i'm driving very carefully, braking always extremely early, because the minimum of downforce. But in San marino, i have a very aggressive style, taking all the curbs very hard, straight to chicanes, braking very late. And i have to say, that style is good for qualifying, but not for the race. Therefore, I spin very often on that kind of tracks...

On the wet, i like as much oversteer as i can get, but that makes me also spinnig all the time :P

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2004 08:24PM by Sapo.
Date: September 19, 2004 09:57PM
Posted by: Fincent
Hehe, i can't say anything for my driving style. I'm always pushing to the edge when i know I shouldnt. I always have a go for overtaking and it usually works but when it doesnt i usually end up rolling a few times, lol :p. I'm quite accident prone and I like a challenge but consistency isnt my strong point. It's common for me to run just slightly wide on a corner every 2-3 laps which can be annoying as it breaks my rhythm. Because i'm only a keyboard player, my driving lines can sometimes be a lil unorthodox. And lastly, I always try my best to keep my racing clean because then I know it was my skill and not my font wing that got me past the other person. lol.

-Fin

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: September 20, 2004 09:21PM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
Sapo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I have to say that my style is different for
> every track and even between the qualifying and
> the race.

Never a wiser bunch of words compiled :)

Well, we are always learning, and so I will comment for the second time on this thread.

I have recently raced at Monza and Magny Cours, two very different tracks which require two very different techniques. At Monza I found it most effective to take an almost rally style into the slow chicanes, especially the Roggia. Time is made on this track by attacking these chicanes as hard as you dare, and a little bit more. It's easy enough to get through them, but to get through them fast requires that specific technique. It is easier at Monza to slide through the chicanes because of the low rear downforce the car carries. The main challenge is to not overdo things and to get back on the power as early as possible to correct the slide and get moving forwards again.

At Magny Cours aggressive driving is punnished in many parts of the circuit. The key to a good lap here is accuracy and consistency. While this may sound obvious, there is little more to it than that. The Estoril corner is the first challenge. By keeping the car in 5th gear rather than dropping to 4th will give a first sector gain of about 0.150 seconds. It is important not to run wide on the exit (I even try to avoid the kurbs on the outside if possible) and then the run down to the Adelaise hairpin should be taken not on the CC line but on the shortest possible route, ie. to the second kink in the middle of the track, but clipping the apex to the first kink, and then a straight diagonal to the braking point for the hairpin.

180 is another interesting corner. Again gear selection is the key - drop too early into 1st and you are pulled into the inside and not able to get on the power without running wide. Again it is best to avoid the kurb on the exit as this can severely hamper acceleration towards Chateau D'Eau. The final two chicanes need to be attacked; the problem being that five pixels out and you are in the scenery. Take it too easy and the clock ticks on an incredible amount. By learning the final sector at Magny properly I was able to gan over half a second.

A good setup is important here, but more important is gear shifting (more important than any other track I have come accross). Get the shifts spot on and it can be worth well over a full second, get them wrong at the car moves about on its own free will.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: September 21, 2004 08:03PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Estoril in fifth??!!

I'm gonna have to check that out...

Course with my pedals, they aren't touch sensitive, so its brake, accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake...... trying to balance through the bend. :(
Date: September 21, 2004 11:34PM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
Well I am using keys.

Bear in mind I am talking GP3 2000 here. I can send you a hotlap if you want.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy