Really, really slow and crashing error

Posted by Daniel Knott 
Really, really slow and crashing error
Date: June 08, 2004 05:30PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
When it tests for my graphics in GP3, it does the first 2 resolutions and then crashes the game.

Also, the game runs incredibly slow, at 8 FPS.

This is rediculous.

I have an ATI Radeon 9500 pro, an ASUS A7N8X motherboard and lots of RAM etc
I also have XP

I heard that XP could be the problem? I tried setting it to Windows 98 compatability, but it won't run the game at all then (doesn't start up at all).

I think you can run it in software mode and it is ok, but graphics are pathetic in software mode - I may as well just be playing GP2.

This is with it patched, but iirc, when I tried ages ago, without the patch, it was just as bad and the same thing happened.

What can I do?
Re: Really, really slow and crashing error
Date: June 11, 2004 01:59PM
So, No one can help me? :';(
Date: June 11, 2004 08:12PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Erm whats the rest of ur pc specs? i take it its above 266mhz yes?

XP shouldnt be the problem. Have you tried manual configuration?
Date: June 11, 2004 08:27PM
ah yer, er I didn't know, (couldnt remember) but I did that dxdiag thing and its AMD 2700. I also have 512MB of RAM. iirc it is DDR RAM.

Manual configuration? But that would mean turning the settings down to put less strain on the pc. I have tried that but it doesnt really make a difference too much. Software mode works ok, but I may as well play GP2 if I am playing in software mode.

My pc is well up to the requirements.

I can't play in 98 compatability mode though as it wont startup :-/ error report thing comes up.

Patch makes no difference with or without
Date: June 12, 2004 08:33AM
OMG it works fine now. Guess what the problem was?

I was about to give up on the game completely - I had uninstalled it and then something dawned on me to try because it may ust work - and it did

Well I did a search on simracing forums to see if anyone had the same problems and I couldn't find any solutions. However, someone said in one post that GP3 really hates Anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing. I thought when I shut down game utility (I have a sapphire card, and you get this automatic profile software) that it would reset the card defaults, but apparently it doesn't. Anyway, now I have created a GP3 profile, without FSAA and AA it works fine. My PO is now really good and the whole game works fine.

The thing is, I think GP3 does it's own kind of AA, cos now I have turned AA off, the anti-aliasing is actually better than with smoothvision on

You should probably make some kind of GP3 troubleshooting FAQ and add this too it, as otherwise a lot of people will just give up on the game.
Date: December 02, 2005 10:19PM
Posted by: NYK
It's been a long time since this topic, and I have the same problem now!

But the thing is, I have no idea what profiles are you talking about, I can't find any!

I have a card ATI Radeon 9550.

Help!

Date: December 04, 2005 08:48PM
Posted by: harjinator
download/install catalyst? not sure, I have same card and i can't find them either, but I only have the basic driver installed...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: December 04, 2005 11:49PM
Posted by: NYK
thanks Harji. I think I've managed it now!

Date: January 08, 2006 11:36PM
Posted by: mls82
Hi I have the same graphical problem. I posted a post called Radeon 9600 two days ago.

I have no idea what profiles are you talking about. Thus, what should I do? I understood that GP3 really hates Anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing, so have I to change some settings in the graphical card properties?

I downloaded the catalyst omega drive based on catalyst 5.12. Should I make some changes in the smoothvision section (dicerct3d and openGL), to get a correct gp3 profile? Please answer I don't know if and what I have to modify!
Help! I want to play!

thanks again!
Date: January 12, 2006 02:29PM
Posted by: bob1977
This may sound daft but check that verbosity mode is unticked in GPx patch beefoer you start the game
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy