Fast computer - slow GP3 2000

Posted by Floyd23 
Fast computer - slow GP3 2000
Date: March 10, 2002 06:00AM
Posted by: Floyd23
I just upgraded my motherboard, CPU & graphics card and was looking forward to playing GP3 2000 at decent resolution and speed but it runs painfully slowly.

Whenever I start a race it runs beautifully fast for about 10-20 seconds than everything slows right down, i.e. only updates screen once every 3 to 5 seconds, processor occupancy goes to 900% +

I am running an AMD Athlon 1.3 GHz with 198Mb RAM
Nvidia geforce 2 MX400 with 64Mb RAM
Ferrari force feedback steering wheel
Directx 8.1

I have tried:
reformatting hard disk and reinstalling everything from scratch with all the latest drivers for motherboard, graphics card etc.
Removed the twinview setting for the graphics card to stop GP3 2000 wanting to calibrate the video settings every time the game starts (as described in the FAQ on this site)
Changed various CMOS settings (e.g. amount of memory available for AGP, speed settings for RAM writes, enabled/disabled AGP 4x writes)

and none of these have had any effect.

No other games have shown any slowdown, including other driving games using the force feedback wheel, so it does seem to be something with GP3 2000.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how I can fix it? GP3 is my favourite game and I'll be extremely peed off if I can't play it anymore!!

Please help, thanks.

Steve.
Re: Fast computer - slow GP3 2000
Date: March 10, 2002 06:44AM
Posted by: Zcott
What soundcard are you using?

Checking "use reduced channels" in the sound options might help.
Date: March 10, 2002 07:00AM
I'm using a SoundBlaster AudioPCI128

I'll give the reduced channels a try.

Thanks.
Date: March 10, 2002 07:45AM
Posted by: BorgDroneX
What OS are you using??

I've tried running GP3 2000 in XP and its crap!!! Frame rate is only about 15-16 fps!!

running it in 98 is better, im running my version under 98SE with PIII chip, ATI 32MB card 256MB Ram and it runs like a dream at 25.6fps!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: March 10, 2002 08:40AM
Thanks to zcott & borgdronex for your replies!

I've found the problem, it was related to the ferrari force feedback wheel. I found I had to set it up as a serial device rather than a USB one and all now works properly.

I am now a happy chappie!

Cheers,

Steve.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy