Hi-res helmets

Posted by Guimengo 
Hi-res helmets
Date: March 25, 2004 03:32PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Hey everyone, I can't find the thread with hi-res helmets, so I ask, is it possible to make them? I'm really interested in improving my game and trying new designs....
thanks a ton

Re: Hi-res helmets
Date: March 25, 2004 03:49PM
Posted by: JackiMatra
I've been told by someone, who made one of the GP3 jam file editors, that it is not possible to increase the size of the graphics files that GP3 uses.

Too bad, it would be really nice if it was possible.
Date: March 25, 2004 08:02PM
Posted by: Seguin
Yes it is possible to use hi-res helmets with GP3. I actuelly use a 2004 helmet set made by Belini. You can find it on is website.
Date: March 25, 2004 09:34PM
Interesting. With what tool was this done?
It would be nice if this was possible with other graphics also, allthough I would then certainly hope that GP3 wouldn't go the way of the EA and Papyrus games with 1024, 2048, and, yes, now 4096 square pixel sized graphics files, which are very nice for screenshots and possibly hotlapping on a super computer, but render these games pretty worthless for racing with any other cars on the track when they're modded this way.

"Yes it is possible to use hi-res helmets with GP3."
Aren't you mistaken here. though. These helmet files, although named the same, do not have the helmets laid out the same as in GP3. I would suspect that these are likely for GP3-2000 only, no?

Post Edited (03-26-04 04:36)
Date: March 25, 2004 10:10PM
Posted by: Seguin
No I'm not mistaken you can use them with GP3. I Only play with GP3 1.13 so it really is working. You just have to replace your helmetsd and helmetse in your Gp3jamsH liverie folder with those that Belini have made and you will see that it works very well. The Original GP3 Helmets have a size of 128x30 and the Hi-res helemts are 256x60 it's much better.
Date: March 26, 2004 02:35AM
Right you are.
Quite a dramatic difference, too, to one of the worst graphical features in GP3 (to be expected, obviously, with bitmaps 4 times the original size), and they don't seem to affect my processor occupany one bit, either.
Too bad that they're only 2003 and 2004 F1 ones.

A couple of years ago, just a few fellows were largely responsible for the over 1200 GP3 helmets that had been made. Is anyone going to follow in their footsteps and start making higher resolution versions of GP3 helmets? Driver faces, which a few painters had put in there helmets back then (and which Belini put on these, allthough, to nitpick, many of them really wouldn't be visible very clearly, if at all, through the many tinted visors in use today), and, surprisingly, were quite clearly identifiable even on such tiny bitmaps, would now really look splendid.

Does anyone except Belini know how he managed to get these larger bitmaps into these jam files? (Not that it presents any problem as new helmets, as they can just be inserted into Belini's jam files.) It would be interesting to see if it would be possible to make higher resolution cars, too, for starters, and see if they would work in the game and how much impact on processor occupancy they would have. I'm not suggesting any 1024 or 2048 pixel size bitmap carskins, but a 512x768 car would be interesting to see. I'd bet that it would look absolutely terrific, considering that it took F1x series modmakers' using 1024 and usually considerably larger size bitmaps for their favorite series of games with their "brilliant new graphics engines" to have grass and gravel, for example, that looked as good as the original "outdated" GP3's did with its original 256 size bitmaps for these textures.

Post Edited (03-26-04 09:38)
Date: March 26, 2004 03:32AM
Posted by: X_Acto
Hey, Gui back to the good old GP3? :)

-----------------------------------------------------

Date: March 26, 2004 03:53AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
gui is invading each of the forums and i am here to stop him!

Date: March 26, 2004 04:57AM
Steve, are you from a Anti-Gui (SPAM) institucion? :)

Date: March 26, 2004 09:25AM
No, he's my business partner ;) But pretty close to that Paulo :D
I got the megapatch Paulo, and I wanna work on doing this hi-res helmets...so if it all goes well I might send it to some people. But unfortunately I don't have time until some weeks fron now :(

Date: March 26, 2004 01:41PM
Can you include me in taht list, Gui?

Date: March 26, 2004 04:37PM
;) Perhaps

Date: March 27, 2004 03:28AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
hmm i need to speek to you gui

btw wat other things can tweak gp3?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy