Hardware > Software

Posted by St.Hubbins 
Hardware > Software
Date: March 09, 2004 06:01PM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
I have a carset designed for HW mode which I would like to convert to SW. I have gone through the basic conversion steps using Jam Editor, then selected the correct SW jams in GPxPatch but there is huge distortion when I run the set in the game, especially with the cockpits, but also with the liveries too.

Is there something I have to do other than merely converting the jams (changing cockpit sizes, reducing # of colours etc)?

Any tips would be appreciated, or better still, if one of the experts has a little free time....

Thanks,

Hubb.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Re: Hardware > Software
Date: March 09, 2004 06:15PM
Posted by: Briere
I'd say "ask me" but I'm too busy with school work at the present moment :(

Date: March 10, 2004 01:56AM
Posted by: getxotarras
Errr.... I have the same problem too!

As I have said on my previous post, I heve painted my first car using Photoshop (RGB, 8bits, 72dpi) and saved it as BMP. Then I load it on GP3Edit and export it to game. The results are quite disappointing, the car looks like taken from a 1980´s game, the colours don´t blend correctly and the overal result looks cheap and tacky.

Any ideas as to what settings must be used to save the BMP, or how to load the BMP on GP3Edit? Do I need to convert it to Software from Hardware, or the other way round?

Any help is much appreciated!

Unai
Date: March 10, 2004 07:07AM
Posted by: belini
I can give you method for psp

extract a sw jam bitmap load into psp and save the palette

the best method is then to reduce bitmap you want converting to sw to 256 colours, then load the saved palette

a quicker method is to just load the palette but the results are not always as good
Date: March 10, 2004 08:47AM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
I should have mentiones that I am working with GP3 2000 so obviously can't use GP3 Edit....

Belini, would that be just any SW jam, then overwrite it with one of the HW jams I want to convert, reduce colour depth then load the new bmp into Jam Editor? (or did you by chance make a typo and intended to write "extract a hw jam...";) I'll have a little play around with this later.

With the cockpit the SW jams are smaller that the HW jams - 256x64 rather than 256x256 so a straight conversion with Jam Editor doesn't work, I'm guessing for this reason. What I tried here was the following...

From Jam Editor I exported the bmp, loaded it in GP3 edit, converted to SW, again saved the bmp, opened the original jam in Jam Editor and imported the bmp, ordering the jam dimensions to be changed to the new (smaller) size. I then received a message that the Jam ID was not what was expected. Interestingly, although the original was a HW jam it only contained something like 110 colours which is far fewer han the SW limit of 256. Would it be the speciic colours that are not recognised rather than the actual quantity of colours?

Anyway, if anyone can give me a further kick in the right ditrection it would be appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: March 10, 2004 06:39PM
Posted by: belini
must admit I've never worked with the sw jams in gp3 except for converting
the helmet jams, I didn't realise some of the sw jams were different dimensions, that does make things more difficult, but the way to convert the bitmaps to sw is the same.

the sw jams in gp32k are the same palette as gp3, I use jamtool 2000 for
all the hw stuff and jam edit 0.52b for jips and sw helmets.

even though your bitmap is 110 colours it has to conform to the gp3 palette
which is a set order of colours. with the 2003/2004 helmets all I did to convert from hw, was to resize the hw version load the sw palette and
patch with jam edit.
Date: March 12, 2004 06:25AM
Posted by: Mercury
A few tips from me.

1. If a livery number is missing, DO NOT SET number width and height to 0, or the game will crash. Set them 1x1.

2. Don't be lazy, fill cockpit sides with a solid colour. I don't know how it is in GP3/2000, but in GP3 1.13 black (r:0, g:0, b:0) is forbidden. Use "almost black" instead.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy