1991 tyre question

Posted by Darko 
1991 tyre question
Date: October 31, 2003 10:25PM
Posted by: Darko
just wandering where I could find some information about the 1991 season tyre dimesions front and back ???
Re: 1991 tyre question
Date: November 01, 2003 09:22AM
Posted by: SuperSonic
Yeah, I'd like to know this things too, not just 91, but all seasons. And not just tyres regulations, but also the whole technical regulations. It would bem great for making car shapes.

See ya
Date: November 01, 2003 12:44PM
Posted by: loren
here are the tires dimensions for 1991. I think that these were in effect from sometime in the early 80's up through 1992. For 1993 the rears were narrowed (I think to 13";). Unfortunately it's not possible (that we know of)
to change the tire shapes in GP3, so for those seasons the carshapes look quite bad.

Front Tyres:
diameter 25"-width 10.0"-rim diameter 13"

Rear Tyres:
26.0"-15.0"-13"
Date: November 01, 2003 01:38PM
Posted by: SuperSonic
Diameter Front Tyres:
1'' = 25,4 mm
25'' = 635 mm

Diameter Rear Tyres:
1'' = 25,4 mm
26'' = 660,4 mm

avg
(635 + 660,4) / 2 = 647,7

so

1110 car editor points =~ 647,7 mm
(for a 1991 car shape without editing the tyre shape)

If we get the 91 technical regulations, we could make very nice shapes...

See ya
Date: November 01, 2003 03:35PM
Posted by: Widow
That is a good one. I would certainly like to have other tyres than those of '98. You always could change that in GP2....

It should be possible in GP3 I guess?! Anyone?
Date: November 01, 2003 03:41PM
I know that the overall width (including tires) was 2m. Max height for the airbox and rear wing was 1m. I'm not sure about length, probably somewhere around 5m, depending on the car.
Date: November 01, 2003 05:12PM
@widow: knowbody knows how to change the tire shapes. The external view tires (the ones we really need to change) still use a 2-d sprite like in gp2, so we can't change them using careditor. Unfortunately, unlike in gp2, they don't use a regular jam file. Instead they use one of the rcr-a jams (I think it's called chwheel1.jam), and none of the current editors can open these files, since they have a different structure from the regular jam files. Marco Alderuccio tried to change them with a hex editor, he managed to make some progress, but nothing like what we really want. I figure that what we really need to edit is the exe file, since the fronts and rears have different widths, but use the same jam file, so there has to be something adjusting the graphics to make the rears wider. So no, there is really no way we're going to change the tire shapes in gp3. That's why I stopped making any carsets older than 1993 (I'm making that season right now).

-Loren
Date: November 01, 2003 10:14PM
thanks for the info guys. i am aware of the problems of editing the tires in GP3 but i accidently posted this question here because i usually visit only this area and most people are in gp4 section, but i got my answer anyways.

the reason i wanted the dimensions is because i was going to give
z-modeler a go. wanted to do some shapes of the 1991 season but accurate technical drawings are hard to come by or even good shots from the side, front or top. i was going to use the size of the tires as a reference for calcuating some dimensions from the photos that i do have. so far the progress is fairly slow. i started with the fondmetal car ... i know it was crap but have some decent photos of this car. i guess i'm just preping myself for the switch to GP4 and F1c once I get a better computer. from what i've read the older seasons are kind of forgotten by the modders of those games.

thanks again.
Date: November 02, 2003 08:05AM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

They are only forgotten because Gp4 is ALOT harder to MOD than GP3. Carshaping is alot harder to do, with Mapping, creating multiple carshapes, creating textures on different layouts. plus then all the physics etc, its alot hartder to do unfortunatly

Date: November 02, 2003 05:56PM
I know it's harder to edit, but there is in some cases 3 versions of the same car. Now, I understand it's all a little competition who can do the best shape/texture but still the older years are basically forgotten except for the 1995 mod that came out some time ago ... given some time it would be possible to make a killer 1980's or early 90's seasons.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy