GP3 Freezes/Crashes

Posted by JamesM 
GP3 Freezes/Crashes
Date: October 31, 2003 11:26AM
Posted by: JamesM
Hello :)

I'm running an AMD 1600XP machine with 256mb memory and an onboard Savage 3D Pro gfx card, DirectX9 and Windows 98se.

I installed GP3 last night and had a quick go of the quick race and it worked perfectly. However, when trying to play a full season today the games freezes after about 1 or two laps. It doesn't crash to desktop, just freezes forcing me to have to manually restart my machine :(

I've tried applying the GP3xPatch and the official Patch, but I get the same result.

Any advice?

==================================
Huh?
Re: GP3 Freezes/Crashes
Date: October 31, 2003 12:20PM
Posted by: Speed_Addict
Everything ok with the sound card?
Have you overclocked your PC in any way?

Or it could be track related. Does it happen with any track or just a particular one?
Date: October 31, 2003 05:14PM
Yup, the sound seems fine. And nope, never come close to doing anything like overclocking.

I tried a few other tracks:
Melbourne - Race (rain) - crashes after two laps or so
Monza - Quali (sun) - crashes leaving pits
Monza - Race (sun) - ok, 13 laps
Spa - Race (sun) - ok, 9 laps
Silverstone - Race (sun) - ok, 6 laps
Monaco - Race (sun) - crashed lap 6 of 20

:-\

I've also tried several re-installs, without any joy :(

Huh?
Date: November 01, 2003 06:01PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
damn, I was going to suggest a reinstall.

I remember this actually happened to me once, but I don't remember how it went away. It occured after I had imported new cars, so what cars are you running?

For a test, if you have the time, I'd suggest a complete reinstall, apply the 1.13 patch, the no cd crack, and GpXpatch, and absolutely nothing else. Then try and do a race - If it freezes there, we'll know it's a big problem. Else, if it doesn't, it might just be a superficial problem that's easily fixed.

Also, I'd install the newest drivers for your graphics card, and perhaps turn sound hardware acceleration down?

Let us know how it all goes, you have a killer system and should be enjoying Gp3!

Date: November 01, 2003 06:40PM
I've tried it with the standard game, with the 1.13 path, the nocd crack and the gpxpatch... I'm not running any other cars or any other addons/changes.

My entire system is a fresh install from last week. Win98se with all the latest updates and patches, and everything has new fresh drivers downloaded last week too.

I wasted money getting GP4, and for this not to work too, its a little gutting. I really don't think spending £100+ on a gfx card is worth it to play one or two games, because I haven't had a problem with anything else :(

Huh?
Date: November 02, 2003 08:10AM
Posted by: Echo1
My graphics card doesn't like GP3 either :o( I'm having to use software mode...
Date: November 02, 2003 11:23AM
How do I run the game in software mode?

Huh?
Date: November 02, 2003 11:50AM
Posted by: AndrewD
In game, in options, in graphics options, there's a list of models - choose the one that isn't visible when you first see the screen and keep your fingers crossed!

If you think I'm insane, you should see my alien counterpart!
Date: November 02, 2003 11:50AM
Posted by: AndrewD
In game, in options, in graphics options, there's a list of models - choose the one that isn't visible when you first see the screen and keep your fingers crossed!

If you think I'm insane, you should see my alien counterpart!
Date: November 02, 2003 12:31PM
ah yes, I see it now :)

Well it works on tracks that previously worked... graphics aren't anywhere as good though, but I can live with that.

I'll try some other tracks later this week and let you know :)

Thankies :D

Huh?
Date: November 02, 2003 06:03PM
Posted by: Speed_Addict
Well for now it does indeed sound like "a big problem"...

I really don't know what to say. From experience I'd say that system freezes usually are memory related but that is a long shot.

Here's another one: DirectX? I'd had some probs with GP3 and DX9 in my days... Got back DX8.1 and now everything's running smoothly.

Regards

Post Edited (11-03-03 01:05)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy