CC cars pit-stops

Posted by Kaps 
CC cars pit-stops
Date: October 19, 2003 07:24AM
Posted by: Kaps
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but it really annoys me.

I'm playing 1980 season and I don't make pit-stops during the race. Well, unless I break something on the car... anyway there were no fuel&tyres pit-stops then.

Problem is that CC-cars make one or even two stops, so they are much lighter (read:faster) at the start of the race. And it's just not bloody realistic, is it!?

So, the question is, how can I make CC-cars not stopping during the race?
Or, for that matter, is it possible to do that at all?

Thank you!
Re: CC cars pit-stops
Date: October 19, 2003 07:33AM
Posted by: NYK
I think it's possible to do that in the magic files! Check it out cos I'm not sure!

Date: October 19, 2003 08:26AM
Posted by: Dinga
There is a pit+lap editor by ale. Should be available for download on the grandprixgames.org site. This allows you tinker with cc settings for pitstops etc.
Date: October 19, 2003 08:27AM
Hey NYK

I like your sig, I'm a Croat as well!

What should I change in the MD files (besides pit stops)?
Date: October 19, 2003 08:28AM
Thanx Dinga. I'll try that as well!
Date: October 19, 2003 11:11AM
Nothing bloody works!!! When I travel with 70l fuel load they have 7-8l and go for pit stop! Is there any way I can stop them do that?

Please, it's driving me mad!!!
Date: October 19, 2003 03:37PM
Posted by: SuperSonic
It is not possible via magic data, because you have to choose how many cars (%) are going to make 1 or 2 or 3 stops.
There isn't an "opition" to make 0 stop :(

See ya
Date: October 19, 2003 09:20PM
Posted by: JackiMatra
You can solve this problem by having the pitstop window start on a lap after the race ends.

However, you are going to run into problems if the AI don't pit because their cars will be very heavy at the start due to their very large fuel loads, and later they will have very worn tires. Taken together, this will make it very difficult for them to keep the cars on the track, particularly in corners that require braking down from high speeds, and they will be crashing very often.

Incidentally, real F1 cars did pit in 1980 (and earlier and later years) for tires, as hardly anyone completed races on a single set of tires in those years.
Date: October 20, 2003 03:40PM
Thanx for all your answers, especially yours Jackie. I was kinda hoping you would come up with some idea!

So, it's impossible to make AI pit for tyres only and not to refuel?
Date: October 20, 2003 09:43PM
Posted by: JackiMatra
Probably not.

But, as this would cause problems for the AI because of the high weight of their cars, and as the cars really should pit, for tyres anyway, what difference does it really practically make, except to make the pitstops a little slower (which were, anyway, generally somewhat slower in those days than they are now).
Date: October 21, 2003 11:36AM
Well, when you put it that way...
Date: October 22, 2003 01:28PM
Posted by: AndrewD
You could always bump up the car weigh by half a race's worth of fuel and the CC's pitting at 50%, that wouldn't be totally right but it would be more accurate at the start.

Having said that, changing the number of laps up a bit and the race distance in game to below 100% could prevent any need for stops :)

If you think I'm insane, you should see my alien counterpart!
Date: October 23, 2003 06:29AM
Posted by: gap
there's a parameter in magic data named "helps decide if a tyre set needs changing?", maybe you can play with it, to force CCcars to pit even with full fuel loads, but I'm only guessing: never experimented with it.
As for the CCcars having troubles with very poor performances, I think that by fine tuning physic file, performances, wing angles and gear ratios you should obtain acceptable results. I experimented some months ago a 50 laps race, no pitting, with my Hockenheim 70 track, and I had no problems; but to tell the truth I was using 2001 performances and physics, giving obviously more handiness than the ones to be used if you want to simulate an 80 season.
As for the crahes, how well the CC cars performs during the race depends on the CCline and car coaching settings too: you will notice that in some custom tracks having poorer CClines, the CCcars will crash more often than in other ones. As last measure to avoid it you can also modify the fuel weight in magic data, but be carefull with this parameter, because little changes give very different results.
Obviously you can only obtain a compromise, but I think it is just what F1 teams were doing at that times.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy