GP3 crashes (this is a strange one)

Posted by Speed_Addict 
GP3 crashes (this is a strange one)
Date: September 17, 2003 08:52PM
Posted by: Speed_Addict
Hello!
I'd been experiencing a strange problem with my GP3 since I upgraded my system. It used to crash to desktop everytime I accelerated Qualifying time in-cockpit and a Windows error message occured saying "ddhelp has caused an error in <unknown>". Now that obviously had something to do with the DirectX/DirectDraw, especially since the system used to crash altogether if I ran DirectX Diagnostics immediately after, so can you recommend me OS and DX version that run GP3 the best?

Anyway, to continue with the problem story. For starters here are my system specs:
- VIA KT-600 mainboard (Soltek, latest BIOS, latest VIA drivers)
- AMD Athlon XP 2400+
- 256 DDR RAM
- Radeon 9000 64MB DDR (latest Catalyst drivers; tried Omega too,tried older Catalysts - didn't matter,always crashed)
- WinME, DX9

As I use the onboard Soltek audio card (VIA VT 1616 Audio codec) I suspected that it had played a big role in my probs with GP3 so I tried to solve the matter by setting the Audio HW acceleration in Control panel (Sounds and Multimedia) to "none" i.e. Emulation only... And it helped! Now the game is much much more stabile, it crashes very rarely except WHEN I USE A TRACK THAT IS ORIGINALLY A GP3-2000 TRACK! I'm using this track as a custom track in GP3 v1.13 (it's Sepang, but I think it doesn't matter which track it is coz GP3 would crash no matter which GP32K track I'd use).
It's known that GP32K tracks have more details than GP3 tracks so this might be a useful lead in trying to resolve my problem.

Now to a really weird part: Interestingly enough, GP3-2000 seems not to care at all about the fuss around and DOESN'T crash when I do the same thing i.e. accelerate Qualis! Not even when I choose the "Use original GP3 sound" option. How is this possible, these are practically 2 same games aren't they??

Ergo, to sum it all up:
-GP3 used to crash to desktop everytime I accelerated time in-cockpit in Qualifying.
-A message occured saying "ddhelp has caused an error in <unknown>".
-I set the audio hardware acceleration in Control panel to "none" and now it's pretty much ok, the game crashes regularly only when I use a GP32K track.
-GP32K doesn't crash at all.

What you think is the problem? Is it true that AMD and WinME don't like each other much? If I get a real (;)) sound card instead of this onboard garbage would it solve the problem? If so, which card would you recommend to me? (one that doesn't mind the VIA KT-600...)

Regards
SA
Re: GP3 crashes (this is a strange one)
Date: September 18, 2003 02:31AM
Posted by: AndrewD
Hmm, I get DDHelp crashing the system if I run a trackeditor before starting the game. However, I usually get crashes as soo as the game starts.

GP32K originals won't work in GP3, at least not without magic data.

If you think I'm insane, you should see my alien counterpart!
Date: September 18, 2003 04:23AM
Posted by: Eagle
I used to suffer another strange crashing problem too, but I found a way around it.
I would load up GP3 with GPx and it would load a track, then after a few seconds/minutes, it would just drop out and I'd be staring at my Windows XP desktop again (in frustration, I might add!)

In my PC, I have 2 HDDs, one that runs Win 98 SE, the other XP. The crashing problem has never occurred since transferring all my files to Win98, and it runs it just as fast too!

Now, to Speed_Addict's little problem.
Here's what I'd do in your position..:
something's screwed up with either your video card drivers or directX, so I would re-install the Catalyst drivers that work, install DirectX 9.1 from Microcrap's site, and try running it again.
If you still have problems, move your save games/tracks to another folder somewhere, uninstall GP3 & GP3-2000, and re-install them again.

What you think is the problem? Is it true that AMD and WinME don't like each other much? If I get a real () sound card instead of this onboard garbage would it solve the problem? If so, which card would you recommend to me? (one that doesn't mind the VIA KT-600...)

I would suggest that you upgrade to Windows XP, since that is completely compatible with AMD CPU's...as regards sound cards, if money is an issue, go for a Sound Blaster Audigy (they are really nice and cheapish)..if you can't afford that, go for a basic Sound Blaster Live (not as good as Audigy, but pretty good anyway).

If you still have problems, post another message in this thread, and we'll see if we can get you back on track, OK?

The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
Date: September 18, 2003 07:12PM
Hi guys! First of all thanks for your responses (I was afraid you
Date: September 18, 2003 07:24PM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
All you need now is to overtake Juan Pablo then life will be truly beautiful ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: September 18, 2003 08:18PM
No need to overtake him. He can win all he wants IN MONACO but he's never gonna win THE CHAMPIONSHIP! ;););)

(just for the record: no I'm not a Schumacher fan :))

Post Edited (09-19-03 03:20)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy