Why do you still play GP3?

Posted by Natazone 
Re: Why do you still play GP3?
Date: August 06, 2003 09:16AM
Posted by: Scottyj
I havnt played gp4 yet, but my piddly machine wont handle it anyway. Besides GP3 is so editable the only 2 things you cant update are the graphics engine and the physice engine.
Why pay more for no more.
Date: August 06, 2003 09:50AM
Posted by: trajan
I could only play GP3 in software mode. I have a AMD Athlon 2100 with 1.5GB memory and a Geforce4 TI4600. With GP4 I can run it with FULL 60fps with High Rez Textures (Static NOT Dynamic (Static actually looks more realistic)) enabled, except I cannot run it with mirrors and video walls. Not fussed about it though. Processor usage peaks at most = 80% and this is when racing at Monaco (quite processor intensive).

Unfortunately, GP3 does not recognise Geforce4. Also you can only run GP3 at max 30fps. Big difference compared to running GP4 at 60fps.

Post Edited (08-06-03 16:55)
Date: August 06, 2003 02:29PM
Posted by: JackiMatra
Not true, trajan.

There has long been a utility by Matti Laitinen available that allows you to run GP3 at considerably higher framerates.
Date: August 06, 2003 03:15PM
Posted by: Big_F1_Fan
i uninstalled GP3 a few days ago because i was playing GP4 so much. i never really used the mods etc for GP3 even tho i knew they was available. i use GP4 for my website [www.geocities.com], i'm gonna give GP3 another chance seeing as you lot seem to find that mods lift GP3 above GP4. i remember loving GP3 for how realistic it is and with no traction control and auto gearboxes. i wish GP3 just had GP4's graphics - then you'd have the perfect F1 game.
Date: August 06, 2003 03:34PM
Posted by: Colin
Because Gp4 refused to work on my computer after reading every forum and trying every patch and every suggestion!!!!! (My computer is top of the range as well) So,I put it in the bin.
The amount of hours I spent trying to get the thing to work does not bear thinking about,and I am a seasoned Microprose Gp user.
However I have "upgraded" GP3 to this year`s season with new menu backgrounds,this year`s teams helmets circuits tyres sounds stats graphics etc - GP3 is very very easy to update and edit in ALL aspects. Even to doing mid season Team changes like Kiesa to Minardi and Wilson to Jaguar.After all the changes I have made I think I will call my version GP5!!!!!!!
Hope that answers your question?
I t really gives me all I need out of this year`s GP season.
Would not trade it for ANYTHING - especially GP4!
Regards,Colin
Date: August 06, 2003 05:19PM
Posted by: Vader
@ bigears

am doing a 1986 season with Nigel Mansell.

You are doing a 1986 season with Nigel Mansell? How is it working together with him?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 07, 2003 01:55AM
I would be grateful if you could tell me what this utility is called.

In addition, does it run in Software Mode in GP3? Remember that GP3 does not recognise Geforce 4 TI4600 card.

Many thanks
Date: August 07, 2003 02:11AM
Posted by: MegaRacer
I have GP4 but continue to play GP3 because I need more RAM to run GP4 properly. It plays but I have to have detailed turned way down and that doesn't satisfy me! I did discover (for those like me running a Pentium 4 but with a measley 128MB of RAM) that if you do a minimum install of the game, it has to read more from the disc and thus seems to run (slightly) more detailed and with better frame rates. Also, GP3 has waaaay more stuff to edit and enhance the game.

Mega!
Date: August 07, 2003 04:15AM
Posted by: microprose.nut
I play gp3 because of the things you can edit on it

But I do play gp4 a lot too!
Date: August 07, 2003 04:30AM
Posted by: JackiMatra
trajan,

Grand Prix 3 FPS Editor by Matti Laitinen
Date: August 07, 2003 07:54AM
Posted by: Paco
I play GP4 'cause it has better graphics, I there are a lot of people working to make it more editable, we have all new cars (excelent ones!), the new 2003 Qualifying system, and almost everything editable but track layouts, but we will soon have a Track Editor, there are already an advanced work in progress

I'm against sigpics
Date: August 07, 2003 11:16AM
Posted by: HodRod
You can't play a full season via LAN in GP4! So I keep playing GP3!
Date: August 08, 2003 04:10AM
Thank you, Jacki Matra
Date: August 08, 2003 09:10AM
Posted by: Ellis
i dont play GP3 anymore after i got GP4 running better

It many have slightly outdated tracks, but it blows GP3 away by miles. 1995 and the ITC 96 sets rock

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: August 08, 2003 12:13PM
Posted by: Gord_on_wheels
I still play GP2, so i can have the old friday qualifying and its stupidly good for its age. And i reckon i'd load up the original GP again when i get my commodore amiga out the loft in my mums house.

And i like playing GP3 cos its the best my computer can handle and the editing options are immense.

My computer just tells me to f%$ off when i try GP4.

Date: August 08, 2003 02:20PM
Posted by: NYK
It's the only game I could never get bored with!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy