THE-2ND-OFFICIAL-INSANITY-THREAD

Posted by mortal 
Re: THE-2ND-OFFICIAL-INSANITY-THREAD
Date: February 22, 2002 07:33AM
Posted by: Vader
Well, well, well. Cool down folks. I have recieved over 80 (!!!) e-mails of people asking (in no uncertain way) for more facts on Wittgenstein and Popper. So here we go again.

The old chapel on the campus of the univerity at Vienna was badly in need of new bells. Now there were several manufactures in Austria who could deliver the desired objects. Since there was no big difference in quality and prize, the city council asked Wittgenstein, who was quite famous and not without influence, to help them decide. The philosopher thought for a while than said smiling, 'You should ask the dean of the theological faculty for help. He is the expert if it comes to buy bells'.

The first name of the caretaker at Vienna university was Attila, that was why all generally refered to him as "the Hun" in his absence. One night said Attila had a falling out with his wife. He left the house, angrily slamming the door so that the Wittgensteins, living next door, woke up. The philosopher went to the window and looked outside. His wife asked him 'What's going on there, Ludwig?'. 'O nothing, my dear, Wittgenstein' answered. 'I just saw the Hun solo'.

Sir karl Popper was known to be a grumpy and even irascible man when he got old. It was not seldom that he acted like the kings of old who beheaded the bringer of bad news. His mate Wittgenstein had already been dead for decades when Popper - in his mid-nineties - had to pay the debt of nature. People feared the worst, and truly, one day the doctor came out of the dying man's room and adressed the small croud of close relatives and friends. 'I'm sad to tell you that Sir Karl Popper has just peacefully passed away', he said. 'Oh my God', came the scream from his chief assistant and tutor, 'who will dare to tell him that?'

Mrs Wittgenstein was known to be very jealous. This condition did not improve after a female student - who had problems with her homework about the german philosophers of the eighteenth century - called late on the phone, asking poor Mrs. Wittgenstein if she could send her husband to have a look at her Kant.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 22, 2002 07:53AM
You want more? He it comes:

Popper was usually a good eater. this became evident when the philosopher noticed that all his trousers had miracoulsy become two sized too tight. Wittgenstein, a rather thin fellow, remarked, hinting at Popper's
fondness for motor-sports, 'You should really thing about turning on the lunch-control'.

One day the neighbour of Popper, a doctor of medicine, asked him for help. One of his award-winning rabbits had escaped from its cage and was suspected to hide in the philosopher's garden. Both h e and his mate Wittgenstein kept looking for hours without result. Eventually the physician offered a reward. 'I bid 20 pounds to anyone who finds my premium animal'. After quite some time Popper finally shouted, 'Heureka! I found the hare of the Doc that bid'.

One of Ludwig Wittgenstein's students wanted to prepare a little prank. He put some adhesion on one of his teacher's books, but not carefully enough, so that he ended up with the book firmly glued to his own hands. Screaming he ran out of the philosopher's room and straight into Wittgenstein himself who was just coming around a corner with Popper. Looking at the poor student Popper said to his collegue, 'I envy you, Ludwig. There is astudent that really sticks to his master's books'.

Wittgenstein and Popper were invited to a gala dinner where they both had to wear evening dress. During the event Wittgenstein befelt a heavy itching. After undressing later at home he noticed that his whole body was covered with red spots and freckles. A doctor was send for. After doing all sorts of examination the physician came up with the diagnosis and a good advice. 'You seem to react allergic to the lining of your suit. This could have lead to an allergic shock. You should better don't wear that dress again'. 'I knew', Wittgenstein said most gloomily, 'that this smoking would kill me some day'.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 22, 2002 08:16AM
Wow, another 5 mails during the last ten minutes. Well, David, SeanF, JD, Kirk-Man, and Nintnedo5Z, this is especially for you:

The philosopher Popper was known to be a very tidy person. Everything on his desk had its place. Proud of this aquality he showed his newly developed letter-categorizing system to Wittgenstein. 'You see, all mails go into the blue folder. Threatening letters, which I do get a lot of these days, however come into the red folder.' 'So', Wittgenstein said sniggering, 'you could say blue is for mails and red for fee-mails'.

An old friend of Popper, who was still owing him quite a sum, had become a famous ice-hockey player. As a pro his income was way above the average. So he decided to settle his debt and write out a check. Upon hearing this Wittgenstein remarked, 'You get money from a friend who is an ice-hockey player? I guess this is what they call a buddy-cheque'.

Wittgenstein and Popper once spend their holidays in the Caribbean. Walking at the beach trhey met an elderly lady who promised to foretell the future from a look at her peral-oracle. Addressing Wittgenstein she said 'You see these pearls in my hand? Please pick up two'. Popper smiled for a moment than he said, 'If Wittgenstein picks two pearls it's like pearls to pigs.

One day Wittgenstein was surprised to find an ant trail in his house. He thought of a way to get rid of this nuissance but refrained from using chemicals or poison. 'Give them rice to eat', Popper suggested. 'If rice ghets wet it swells. If these little buggers eat enough of it, it will tear their stomachs apart, making them pop up like fried corn'. Wittgenstein did just like his collegue said. Two days later Popper visited his mate to see how things were going. He found Wittgenstein looking at the ants. 'Now', he asked, 'does it work?' Wittgenstein answered smiling, 'All's well, that ants swell'.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 22, 2002 09:58AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
žal nièe moèi understand to neglede na Habi. No! Habi verjetno ne morem undersand to. Svoj slovenski je škart. Se potrudim tipkati slovenski. Ali je to poljuben dober? Se potrudim. To je tudi neumen. Vsi od this poln - zapora. Oni pošteno @!#$ ki gre gor življenje.

hmm Slovenain is so hard to type with a qwerty keyboard.

Date: February 22, 2002 01:11PM
Ellis2kX recent comment about not reading the long posts written mainly by LS and me (with our heart

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 22, 2002 01:16PM
Ever thought about learning German? Or English? Better be careful, because there are a lot of slings and snares if you try to translate word by word. There are even words that look pretty much like the ones you know from your language but have a meaning that could not be more different. These (not so) rare cases of misunderstanding are called by linguists False Friends.

Very popular is English

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 22, 2002 01:27PM
Lol very good, true and funny. More, more..... :D

Date: February 22, 2002 01:27PM
August Ernstmacher, the famous biographer of Sir Karl Popper just mailed me to draw my attention to a litlle mistake I have made up there. Popper did not recieve "threatening letters", but "bills" (which is basically the same, just the legal version of it). So Wittgensetin's remark on "fee-mails" really makes sense.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 22, 2002 01:32PM
Here is a thought that i heard (not for little people under the age of which they might get offended)

"If nothing is better than sex, and masturbation is better than nothing, then masturbation is technically better than sex!?"

Date: February 22, 2002 01:32PM
Hey mortal, why do you start a thread and don't participate in it? C'mon you Ozzy. BTW, if the first price of a lottery is a car from Australia could the lucky winner claim to have won the Oz-Car?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 22, 2002 01:33PM
Woody Allen once said:

"Masturbation is sex with someone I really love"

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 22, 2002 01:36PM
LoL

"Author: Chris Burkitt (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 02-22-02 20:27"

"Author: Vader (---.pppool.de)
ate: 02-22-02 20:27"

"Author: Chris Burkitt (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 02-22-02 20:32"

Date: 02-22-02 20:32"

Date: 02-22-02 20:33"

Not bad Vader, still not quick enough :D

Date: February 23, 2002 12:46PM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

Hey Vader, i do read the long posts, most of them anyway, some are great :)

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: February 26, 2002 03:11AM
Posted by: mortal
NOOOOOOOOO, this can't be happening, save meeeeee!!!!! Iv'e disapeared onto the second page...... AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhh..............

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 27, 2002 07:37AM
[/i]Good to see you are finally back at the top where you belong, wortalmombat

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2004 01:25AM by Vader.
Date: February 27, 2002 07:39AM
I distinctively said: BACK TO THE TOP. Don't make me angry (I ran out of "dried frog pills" since late september) ...

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 27, 2002 08:27AM
LAST WARNING: BACK TO THE TOP

(I love this game)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 27, 2002 09:18AM
Posted by: Morbid
Just bumping it up...

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: February 27, 2002 11:55AM
Good thing to do. I'll bump (and grind) too

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 27, 2002 12:01PM
Posted by: Morbid
Okay I am here. Almost within the 10 minutes limit.

Check this out:

[www.thelogbook.com]

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy