GP3 Question

Posted by nuggett 
GP3 Question
Date: June 09, 2003 05:09PM
Posted by: nuggett
I am wondering how to do well in a race.... I do not expect to win every race (actually i come last in most b/c the other cars continually are faster than me).... I am wodnering why this is and how can compete on an equal level. I am alos playign at Rookie.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Re: GP3 Question
Date: June 09, 2003 05:40PM
Posted by: Vader
I once heard about that fancy thing they call "practise". I know it may sound strange, but often the most unsual solutions - far-fetched as they may appear to be - are the best ;)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 09, 2003 10:30PM
Posted by: JackiMatra
Until then, as always finishing last is more than a little discouraging, you can use GP3Edit to lower the AI drivers' performance figures which will make them slower.
Date: June 09, 2003 11:09PM
Posted by: kaspa
GP3 answer

never be afraid to use some driver aids, they are there for a reason & no rookie should be ashamed to use them. gradually turn them off as you get the hang of the physics and the tracks.
Date: June 10, 2003 01:16AM
Posted by: chrislewis
The most important thing for me is a setup. Start off with having good wing sizes for each track eg a rear wing of 1 for Hockenheim and Monza and a size of around 18-20 front and rear for Monaco and Hungary. The rest of the circuits are usually in between. Then adjust the gear ratios and when you start getting good times keep adjusting until you get it perfect.

Other than that knowing the circuits helps.
Date: June 12, 2003 05:34AM
Posted by: Marcow_nl
Hi ,

I saw your answer to nugget, and i noticed you were talking about the gear ratios'. I seem not to understand them quite well. When i start messing around with it, my car sounds really weird, shortshifting or too long shifting. Can you try to explain simple to me?

Thanx already.

Ibanez guitars played by people like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai make me wanna go fast!!

Come and compete to other GP3 hotlappers [www.gp3Hotlaps.tk]
Date: June 12, 2003 08:59AM
Posted by: Muks_C
To explain gear ratios: Basically you need to adjust ALL the gear ratios slightly until you get a basic set of ratios that make the gear shifts sound normal, and not too short or too long.

Then, if the track is Monza for example, adjust the 3 top gears so you get your top speed in top gear down the longest straight, with 3 or 4 of the LED revs lights lit up. Make the top gear slightly longer so you can have a bit of room for overtaking because your revs will need to be able to go higher when slipstreaming another car. (If you are hitting the rev limiter all the time even when not overtaking, you will have no margin to increase revs when you need them to overtake, so top gear need to be a bit longer)

Then if the gear shift sounds quite normal through all the gears, you have a pretty good setup. If one particular gear sounds a bit long or short, adjust it so it sounds right.

I never understood gear ratios when I started playing GP3, but it is important to change ALL the gear ratios, so you don't get a funny sounding engine. Never change only 1 or 2 of the gears, you need to change all of them to get the best.

For Monaco on the other hand, you would generally shorten all the gears, so that you were hitting the top speed in top gear on the longest straight.

Hope this helps you Marcow_nl
Date: June 12, 2003 11:05AM
Posted by: FRobert
And don't forget... If you change the wings you will have to readjust the gears
Date: June 12, 2003 11:17AM
Posted by: daveb
you don't really need 2 adjust the setup on rookie on any circuit - the top speed is 185mph which is quick enugh 2 be competitive.

Date: June 12, 2003 03:24PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Don't lower the AI man, just practice for a long time in Monza, with some aids on, like autobrake, speed and brake help, and the driving line. After you feel you can push the car more then it goes at the time, start by taking off the driving line, then brakes, then speed help, and lastly, after a couple of dedicated hours, take out the traction control (or similar). This is how I did with GP2 4 years ago, and now I simply rule in GP3!
Trust me, it will work! Good luck punk :)

Guilherme

ps: try using a Williams or McLaren if you have the 98 season. If not, use Ferrari or McLaren.
Date: June 12, 2003 11:20PM
Posted by: chrislewis
The best way to help you understand adjusting the gear ratios is to use mine as an example. I usually set a low first gear for a rear wing of 1, and a high first gear for a rear wing of 20. 23-27 for low rear wings and 18-23 for high rear wings.

From here I had a gap of 7 between each gear until 6th. If you find that its not revving high enough in 6th lower 6th gear a bit if it over revvs add more to 6th and the gap between 4th & 5th and 6th.

Monza- 1st 27
2nd 34
3rd 41
4th 48
5th 55
6th 63

Just experiment and youll get the best results. The game manual can help you with this as well.

Its true that the original setups dont affect much in rookie but at Hockenheim or Monza its better to go 360km/h than 310.
Date: June 13, 2003 01:32AM
Posted by: Marcow_nl
Thank you all for your help about gear ratios. I'm gonna try it again.

Ibanez guitars played by people like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai make me wanna go fast!!

Come and compete to other GP3 hotlappers [www.gp3Hotlaps.tk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy