Wet races makes gp3 crash...

Posted by Bruno Litio 
Wet races makes gp3 crash...
Date: June 03, 2003 10:07PM
Posted by: Bruno Litio
Hello everybody... Fantastic forum! Almost all of my problems have been solved with it! Thanks!!

However, I still beg for help! My problem is quite unusual (i looked all around the forum till 02-08-2002 for the ansewer, but... haven't found).

Everytime i'm going to race, and it rains, my game crashes. This doesn't happen when i'm playing a race and starts raining, no: it's only in the beggining, at the start of the race. the classic *red lights* (processing) happens, sound from the game can be heard, but at the moment that should be inside the car, is the exact moment that the game quits unexpectedly.

This doesn't happens when it's a dry race. I tried to race with gpxpatch and normal mode, but found no result. Can it be possible that the game is crashing by any change i've made to the game? Like carsets, or cockpit and wheels? (not carshapes-using default) How i fix the problem not having to but 0% "chances of rain"?

I'm using the newest GPxPatch, in GP3 1.13.

Also, i'm looking for a design program to produce my own helmet... Tired of using Nicola Larini's helmet... hehe!

Thanks in advance... And sorry about bad english, i'm brazilian and i'm still learning...

Re: Wet races makes gp3 crash...
Date: June 03, 2003 10:50PM
Posted by: quickslick
Hi Bruno, try to play GP3 with GPxPatch in debug mode, this should solve
the problem that the Game crashes when it rains in Game.

To design your own Helmet you can use the paint progs Photoshop or Paintshop.
Date: June 04, 2003 02:57AM
Thank you quickdslick!

Well, I tried, but it keeps crashing... So I decided to reinstall GP3 and all components. While I was doing it, I realized that the problem was with the usage of hardware mode in raining condition. So, to solve, I'm using Software mode.

However, this is extremely unpleasant, because my carset isn't apropriated, my cockpit couldn't be used in SWmode, and the cool GPxSAT only works for HWmode.

My question is: can I do something? hehehe I tried the lowest config. at the graphics display, but it keeps crashing when rains. Is there a possibility that GPXpatch developers, by any chance, create a way to use GPXsat on SWmode? Or it's just impossible? Is there any other program that could give the tag heuer graphics?

Editing helmets can be very hard with paint... People who design helmets for gp3 don't use a better program?

thanks...
Date: June 04, 2003 05:27AM
Posted by: chrislewis
If you have to use software mode to play it it most likely means that youre video card is old. If it is, the only solution to this is buy a new one.
Also I think that Rene, the bloke who makes gpxpatch, would have done it if it was possible.
Date: June 04, 2003 06:11AM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
I have a similar problem with rain, but only with GP 3 2000. It seems that if I spin or rev very highly the game will crash to desktop (or if other cars do this). My guess is that there is some kind of graphic overload which my computer can't handle for some reason. Btw, I only play in SW mode. I've never read of anyone having the same problem before now, so it's nice to know that I'm not the only one. If I wan't to race in the wet then I just play GP3 with 1.13 which has no problems in this regard.

It would be great to hear of any solutions if somebody knows what causes this, but I shan't be holding my breath. After all, I've been reading this forum for some 18 months and it hasn't been brought up in that time to my knowledge. I've tried all kinds of variations with and without GPxPatch but to no avail.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: June 04, 2003 06:28AM
Posted by: JackiMatra
Rain in GP3 very much increases the demands on the computer system. Also, GP3's demands on your computer system are greatest at the start of races, when it has to draw all of the cars and the most graphically intensive portion of the track. It seems likely that the confluence of these two factors is what is causing your problems.

I would suggest either lowering some graphics options, or preferably, as that makes many things look none too good, play GP3 in a lower graphics resolution than you do in dry weather.

If you're not content with the results after following these suggestions, then, I'm afraid that you need to follow the recommendation to upgrade your computer system, and even though a better video card probably wouldn't hurt, GP3 performance is much more likely to improve more with an increase in CPU speed.

P.S. Fire, smoke, dust, fog, and other similar graphical effects usually place large demands on computer systems in all sorts of games, not just GP3. I think that the difficulties mentioned in the previous post may well be associated with the tyre smoke and dust of the spins. GP3-2000 has somewhat more graphically detailed tracks than GP3 and therefore places greater demands on computer systems, which is why this problem may be occurring in GP3-2000, but not GP3.

Post Edited (06-04-03 13:46)
Date: June 04, 2003 01:23PM
Well, I've been trying lowest resolutions in HW mode for about 1:30, but I've got no positive result. Possibly it's really an overcharge to the computer system...

So I will proceed this way: default is HW mode, but i'll switch to Soft when it rains.

Weird thing: my video card was produced after the releasing of gp3; so it should be working perfectly. But hardware conflict has been a problem since i've bought this computer, so I think this is the *last drop*. I'll save some money to buy a new CPU asap. Funny thing: if I got a good new video card, my GP3 will crash anyway, as i've seen here, because the VC is too much for the game =)

Thanks everybody for clearing up my mind!
Date: June 04, 2003 08:58PM
Posted by: JackiMatra
The graphics in new games are usually the very last thing worked on so as to make them as advanced, up-to-date, and good as possible as this is the most important thing that is mentioned in reviews and what is most important to consumers. This, of course, means that this is where most of the games' bugs are as this has all been done in a rush to beat a deadline. This also typically means that the newest games' graphical demands far outstrip the capabilities of the newest hardware, and its usually not until years later that its possible to play a game at the maximum graphics settings that it is capable of since it takes that long for the hardware to catch up with the software. No one, no matter how good a computer system they have, ever plays any brand new game that is applauded for its graphics, at anything near to its maximum graphics resolution or other graphics settings, but it makes for impressive looking screenshots.
Date: June 05, 2003 12:57AM
Posted by: chrislewis
I dont know if this is a solution but this is in the original GP3 readme:
P.S- I have no idea how to use this or what these actually are but it may be a solution.

[Video card make and model]

There will also be a [general] entry - this is unused at present and can be safely ignored.

The following is a list of the current flags you can set. Simply type the required flag
beneath the card which you want to affect. The defaults for each flag are listed in the
examples below.

FLAG EXPLANATION
++++ +++++++++++

lorestextures=0 Forces the use of lower resolution textures. This defaults
to on on cards with 8M or less of VRAM.

bilinear=1 Force filtering on or off

reflections=1 Force the wet weather reflections on or off (they don't
work on some cards).

loresclouds=0 Similar to lorestextures, but for the clouds only.

altmirrors=0 Some cards need a different technique for the mirrors.

alphawithck=1 Alpha with color key. Some cards
can't do it. If you have shadow
problems, try setting this flag to zero.

liverynumbers=1 If you get corrupted car graphics, try setting this flag
to zero.

detailmap=1 Some cards can't do detail mapping on the track. Set flag
to zero if the track appears corrupt.

altcolorkey=0 If you get bright cyan around masked objects, try turning
this off.

altrain=0 Different rain code for some cards.

altsoftware3d=0 Currently only used by Voodoo5 in software. May help if
your card has problems displaying software 3D.

slivoodoo2=0 This flag MUST be changed manually if you system is
running with Voodoo2 cards in an SLI configuration.

alticons=0 Fixes a problem with the latest NVidia Detonator2 drivers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy