Date: May 19, 2003 09:46AM
Posted by: X_Acto
No problem, mate!

;-)

-----------------------------------------------------

Re: Good 81 season physics and sounds ?
Date: May 20, 2003 01:01PM
Posted by: FRobert
Is it in that physics file that Olivier wrote... something like: I'm not sure if the physics are good... but they are a lot of fun to drive!...

I'm trying to work on a physic file that would represent, as close as possible, the physics of these cars! With the physics of Olivier, at the end of the stretch in Kyalami I'm able to go more that 350 kph!
That's a bit weird!
I got a few informations about the motors of this era... The Renault was 510 hp and 12000 rpm. The ferrari was around 500 hp and turned at 11500rpm and the Cosworth was about 485 hp and turned at around 11000 rpm. I don't have the drag ratio and the weight of these cars....
Maybe if we work together we could fin a physic file that would reflect the real life?
Date: May 20, 2003 01:38PM
Posted by: palmer
Yes good idea I'm trying equally to improve the physics but with the 1982 physics of Olivier Grand.
Date: May 20, 2003 07:35PM
Posted by: JackiMatra
You can get information regarding the 1981 and 1982 Formula One Ferrari's technical specifications such as wheelbase, front and rear track, weight and height at [www.ferrari.com] .

Information about engine BHP is far less reliable, the figures at www.ferrari.com being very dubious (probably severe understatements in most cases), for example.

Your BHP estimates are probably quite a bit off the mark, particularly for the turbo's of those years which were probably producing quite a bit more power. In comparison, the general consensus is that the non-turbo engines of Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, and Matra produced about 500 to 510 BHP in 1977, while the non-turbo Ford engines produced in the vicinity of about 475 to 480 BHP in 1977.
Date: May 21, 2003 02:36AM
Yes Jacki I know that and after several test for physic I think I have found a good one and if you are interseted I can send you my physic.
I have another question which sound do you use for the engine because I found a 80's sound but to have a good result I have to increase the RPM to 16.000.
Date: May 21, 2003 06:31AM
Hi palmer!
Can I have a copy of it too?
frankbob@videotron.ca

Thanks!
Date: May 21, 2003 07:53AM
The informations I got about the hp were from old F1 magazines... I could figure that at the time there were a hide and seek game about hp's... But today on the Ferrari site??? You still think there is some desinformation? In the 1981 the motor could produce around 580 hp. Could it be 580 hp without the turbos?
Date: May 21, 2003 10:02AM
Look at this it's very interseting : [www.vroom.be] and this [statsf1.phidji.com].
The first is only in French but you can understand I think and for the second there is a English version.
Date: May 21, 2003 12:13PM
Very cool... We have top speed! The 1981 : Brabham BT49C (Nelson Piquet) had a 6th gear on certain circuits! A lot of very usefull informations!
Date: May 21, 2003 03:56PM
If you look at the engine BHP figures listed on the Ferrari website for 1980's and 1990's cars, for example, you will find figures such as "600+ BHP", which is obviously true, as we all well know that they actually were in the vicinity of at least 700 BHP and often very considerably more.

The data on the Ferrari site was probably entered years ago and was never updated.
Date: May 21, 2003 04:15PM
Posted by: b-tone
Hey Palmer.
Could i have a copy of the 80's physics please?
<mailto:woof22@hotmail.com>

____
Tony

Date: May 21, 2003 05:47PM
[statsf1.phidji.com].

"La page est introuvable"
(The page cannot be found)

As for the other website:
[statsf1.phidji.com].

I am a little leary of their maximum speed figures, particularly for earlier years, as the EXACT SAME (in a very convenient to the nearest 10 km/h) maximum speed of 290 km/h is listed for EVERY single car that a maximum speed is listed for between the years of 1965 and 1980, inclusively.

I am currently working on a 1977 performance package for Grand Prix 3, including physics, performance, and magic data files. The information that I am using for engine BHP for that year has been gathered from a number of different books and is quite consistent. I made an "educated guess" at the cars' maximum speeds and have so far pegged them at about 185-189 mph without a tow at Monza and Hockenheim (which is a little bit faster than the French website says, but, as I said, I am a little dubious as to the accuracy of their figures), which seems to produce very realistic laptimes with the physics, performance, and magic data that I am using. Making my 1977 cars (which all use only 5 gears, incidentally) record realistic laptimes with a lower top speed would neccessitate them having either very high downforce, or braking, or tyre grip to compensate for the lower speed.

I also just recalled that I had flirted with putting together some 1982 physics/performance files but abandoned this due to the difficulty of reconciling the turbo and non-turbo cars, among other things. Nonetheless, here are the BHP figures that I was tentatively working with for 1982:

Brabham 660 610
Tyrrell 605 585
Williams 605 585
McLaren 605 585
ATS 605 585
Lotus 605 585
Renault 665 610
Alfa Romeo 660 610
Ligier 650 600
Ferrari 670 620
Arrows 605 585

Perhaps these will prove to be of some use.

I have found some decent circa 1977 or so sounds for Grand Prix 3 (either made for GP3, or GP2, or GPL, or SCGT, usually as "1960's" sounds) but with the same problem that they are meant to be used with the original GP3 engine RPM of 16600. Insofar as my 1977 cars have a maximum RPM of 12100 RPM (for the Ferrari at 510 BHP), these sounds are really very much too thunderously low-pitched at that RPM and are therefore unusable. I have no sound-editing software, other than the MicroSoft SoundRecorder, which only allows one to adjust pitch by an octave at a time, which is too much in this case. (An octave in pitch is either a doubling or halving of the frequency. Just a note for the technically unmusical. My apologies for stating the obvious to all others.) Therefore, I use the original GP3 sounds for my 1977 cars. If someone has better sound-editing software and could alter some older engine sounds to sound good at about 12000 RPM which would be suitable for mid-1970's to mid-1980's cars (or even less for older cars, about 9800 RPM for 1970 cars, for example) that would be splendid.

If you are working on 1981 physics and/or performance, please be aware that both turbo and non-turbo engines were in use that year, with the turbo-engined cars having considerably greater top speeds (as had been mentioned by both drivers and race commentators in that year). This means that you will need to have much different driver performance figures for the turbo and non-turbo AI drivers/cars in order for them to be anywhere near competitive (even with the higher turbo failure rates).

Post Edited (05-22-03 02:36)
Date: May 22, 2003 02:22AM
Bon Jacki comme apparement t'es Français je vais te répondre en Français ça ira plus vite.
Pour commencer je comprends pas pourquoi les pages web ne s'ouvre pas chez toi car je viens encore de rééssayer avec les adresses que je t'ai donné et ça marche très bien.
Ensuite sur le site que je t'ai indiqué ils disent bien que en 1980 les voitures n'avaient que 5 vitesses et attaignaient 290 KM/H au max et en 1981 pour la Brabham en tout cas elle avait 5 ou 6 vitesses selon les circuits et ça vitesse max etait de 330 KM/H (grâce à la 6 ème).
Sinon je suis en train donc d'essayer de créer une bonne physique pour l'année 1981 mais sans me soucier des voitures qui possèdent un turbo ou pas parce que c'est impossible à recréer avec GP3.
Je voulais aussi savoir quelle valeure je peux modifier pour avoir plus de patinage des roues arrières et aussi comment bloquer les freins plus facilement sans toucher à la puissance de freinage?
Pour finir j'ai trouvé un son réaliste mais par contre comme tu le dis je suis obligé de monter à 16000 tour pour qu'il soit réaliste.
Date: May 22, 2003 07:13AM
For a good sound... no problem... I'll work on it... I will keep you posted on that one!
Je vais y travailler afin de le rendre 2criant à 12000 tours! Je vous tiens au courant!
Date: May 22, 2003 07:17AM
" also just recalled that I had flirted with putting together some 1982 physics/performance files but abandoned this due to the difficulty of reconciling the turbo and non-turbo cars, among other things. Nonetheless, here are the BHP figures that I was tentatively working with for 1982:"

A question for JackiMatra... When you alter the physic of cars.. it's still possible to work with different motors in GP3Master?
If yes so it could be possible to approach, as real as possible, the differnces between a turbo and non-turbo?
Date: May 22, 2003 06:51PM
I didn't mean to mislead anyone.
Giving away my very advanced age, my last use of any consequence of the french language was over a quarter of a century ago, and I am afraid that what little command of it that I once had is now all pretty much gone.

As I haven't had much use for it for 25 years, it seems that I probably won't have much use for it hereafter, so I really don't want to be going to the trouble of trying to learn it all over again.

Please make life easier for this middle-aged fellow and stick to English, mon amis.

GP3 uses one set of physics values for all of the cars with the one difference that each different team can have a different engine BHP value. So, yes, you can have the turbo cars all have much more powerfull engines than the non-turbo cars. I use GP3Edit, myself, to edit the team engine BHP values in GP3.
Date: May 22, 2003 07:24PM
If you gentlemen take car weight figures to use in Grand Prix 3, remember that the figures that you find are quite likely not to include some or all of the weight of the water, oil, fuel, driver and his helmet in many cases. These factors would problably account for the very considerable differences of the weight of different cars from year to year that you will find on various websites and in different publications.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy